This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So when is there going to be a Mario Kart DS tournament?

edited July 2007 in Video Games
There seem to be a lot of us on the boards with MKDS (not to be confused with MDK, which was an awesome third-person shooter). I'm getting tired of racing people I don't know. Therefore, to complete the syllogism, I think we would have a forum KartNight in the near future so I can get raped by all of you instead of some 8-year-old Japanese kid.

Who's with me?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Well, we had plans for DS nights in the past, but unfortunately we are shit-talkers by standard.

But I'm totally in, regardless.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm in also, but chances are I'll miss the thread when it comes up.
  • edited July 2007
    I say we just put up a thread with:

Game:[Including whether console/PC]
    Rules/Variants:
    Date:
    Starting time: [remember to include GMT+/- hh:mm]
    Closing time if no one shows up:

Example:

Game:DS - Mario Kart DS
    Rules/Variants: 150cc, 10 races, highest score wins, NO SNAKING
    Date: Friday 27th July 2007
    Starting time: 8pm GMT
    Closing time if no one shows up: 8:15pm GMT
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Well, sorry to really bump this, but I agree with Jason and I am tired of playing with people I don't know. So if anyone wants some casual playing at any point tonight, or during the weekend I'm in. I know must people are going to be busy with TF2 starting Monday to care about any other videogames, but let's see.
  • edited November 2007

This would be a great way to meet you chaps, and I agree with the no snaking rule. Lets get it on

Post edited by Andrew on
  • RymRym
    edited November 2007

In regards to "no snaking," I imagine I'll write a nice blog entry about why that's a silly and subjective rule by which I would not abide.

As for a tournament, I don't even know where my cartridge is. I haven't so much as considered playing Mario Kart DS in almost half a year, and I sadly feel that the game has nothing left to offer me.  I don't imagine I'd ever play it again. ^_~

Post edited by Rym on
  • In regards to "no snaking," I imagine I'll write a nice blog entry about why that's a silly and subjective rule by which I would not abide.
    While I don't know what Rym will write, I have a feeling I'll agree.
    The problem is, when a game is figured out, someone will ALWAYS have the best strategy. If you "Solve" a game, to use Rym and Scott's terminology, then there are two strategies: The winning one, and the losing one. If you're not using the winning strategy, then guess what?
    "Snaking" works because of the way the physics engine in Mario Kart works. It is more efficient to skid around and miniboost than to go straight out. To bitch about it is to bitch about bunny-hopping in Quake, or camping in Counter-Strike.
    And before people bitch about it being "cheap", I'm pretty sure the Goomba's thought jumping was cheap in the original SMB.
  • A no-snaking rule would allow many more people to compete. Similar to a "handicap" horse race, it makes the race more exciting.

If snaking were allowed, the person who was best at snaking would win 99% of the time.

Disallowing snaking makes the other elements of the game come into play. Who can pick out the best route? Who uses their weapons the best? A lot more opens up, and many more people will have fun.

I guess if winning is absolutely everything to you, then snaking is the way to go. If getting a lot of people involved and having a fun time is more important, then snaking shouldn't be allowed.

• I guess if winning is absolutely everything to you, then snaking is the way to go. If getting a lot of people involved and having a fun time is more important, then snaking shouldn't be allowed.
    Translation, don't try to win so the people who suck can have fun. Remember who you're talking to here. You might as well be seriously suggesting we play Candy Land.
  • I guess if winning is absolutely everything to you, then snaking is the way to go. If getting a lot of people involved and having a fun time is more important, then snaking shouldn't be allowed.
    That's nonsense. Let's say I suck and participate (I do suck at the game since I never played it on the DS), I would then make it my mission to make sure I would not finish last and try to make the lives of everyone in front of me a living hell. It's a competition game. If you cannot fail at making headshots in an online multi-player FPS, why would you not make them? That would make the game boring as hell for you since you're playing below your skill level. Anything that is not in the game itself that lets you play at a lower skill level sucks. Now if there was something in the game that allowed for the person in last position in the competition to have the fastest vehicle and the person in first position to have the slowest vehicle, then you can even things out and make it fun for everyone. Rules outside the game limiting people in playing != good and fun.
  • edited November 2007
    I'm all for a competitive game. I'm just saying that there is one feature of the game that carries too much weight. If you can't snake, you can't win. Snaking is a mastered skill. Everything else is pretty much easy to pick up.

I prefer encouraging many people to play the game and be competitive. Within that context, I like to win. I don't get any pleasure in beating up on people who haven't mastered one arbitrary function.

If everyone I was playing with knew how to snake, then great. But I suspect many people don't. Why leave them out? I have no problem tweaking the rules to allow as many people to be competitive as possible. It doesn't really hurt the "snakers" (do you mean to tell me that you can't have fun playing the game without snaking? If so, you need to get out some more - you take games way too seriously.) and it greatly enhances the experience of the "non-snakers."
    Translation, don't try to win so the people who suck can have fun.
    No... on the other hand, try to beat the most people possible with rules that make the game even more competitive.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I had never even heard of snaking before you guys mentioned it...
  • I had never even heard of snaking before you guys mentioned it...
    Then an open Mario Kart tournament would have been about the most miserable hour you've ever spent.
  • I'm just saying that there is one feature of the game that carries too much weight.
    Take out the AWP! Snipers are cheap!
  • Anyone can snipe. Not anyone can snake.
  • Snaking has existed in other incarnations of Mario Kart. If they didn't want people to do it, then why didn't they make the game so that you couldn't?
  • I'm sure it was intentional - and there are situations where it should be allowed. A general meetup between people of varying abilities is not one of those situations.
  • Let's just have a Pokemon Tournament instead :)
  • Like Jerry Seinfeld chooses not to run, I choose not to Snake.
    Let's just have a Pokemon Tournament instead :)
    Let's do both ;)
  • No need to actually have the Pokemon tournament. Everyone post a list of your best 6 Pokemon, and I will tell you who wins.