This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Thanksgiving

Tonight on GeekNights, the Patrons make us dance, and we talk about, by popular demand, Thanksgiving and French Fries. Dude made a sweet castle, but has to tear it down. Rym's playing a long form GMR game of Civ V. We're still reading the Wheel of Time, and now we know what the deal is with Balefire.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• What's all the hubub about Balefire anyways? It can barely singe a fiber in a thread.
    I mean, look at all the people that died from it.
  • A few weeks ago I walked past a McDonalds and thought it would be funny to eat a burger and a cheeseburger. Just to try them. To see how low things could be compared to my normal burger tastes.

Turns out? Bad idea. Terrible. And I felt weirdly unsettled for the next five or six hours. My body just isn't made for those things any more.
  • edited November 2015
    Surprised you didn't go this route for the stinger.

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Those french fries that you loved so much were Ore Ida frozen fries from Costco that I deep fried in olive oil.
  • Those french fries that you loved so much were Ore Ida frozen fries from Costco that I deep fried in olive oil.

Most people just put that shit in the oven. I'm barely brave enough to deep fry doughnuts in regular oil, let alone olive oil.
  • Apreche said:

Those french fries that you loved so much were Ore Ida frozen fries from Costco that I deep fried in olive oil.

Most people just put that shit in the oven. I'm barely brave enough to deep fry doughnuts in regular oil, let alone olive oil.
    I actually made fries from scratch this morning while I was listening to this. But the really amazing thing I did today was to warm up the leftover bacon I threw that in the oil after I had taken the potatoes out and it turned into the crispiest bacon I've had in my life. It just wanted to turn to dust in my mouth.
  • Food. I knew it.
  • Motion to rename The Lounge to Food Thursdays.
  • I second the motion
  • You could say its a food buffet even...
  • I'm keeping every nomination in a forever list for future voting.

Maybe I'll do a tournament of topic idea votes with a bracket.
  • SaltyNights. Let us bet Geek bucks on what you guys do the show on.
  • @Apreche asked if anyone outside of the US has similar cultural dinners or divides in the people attending the event.

This happens at virtually every big family social gathering my family is invited to or holds when there are people who haven't seen many other people for a while and the only bond is us or another family.

There is a kitchen crew who is usually female and there is lounge crew, usually the Dads, Grand Dads, uncles etc.

There is usually also a "kids" group even though we are all adults and work in various professional fields who end up playing board games and watching stuff on the Chromecast.

With smaller gatherings there is usually only one group which spreads from the kitchen to the Dining area / lounge.
  • The secret to Thanksgiving is citrus. Stuff the turkey with carrots, onions, and citrus. Get those candied yams going with some orange juice concentrate.

Due to the free supermarket turkey, I held "Friends Thanksgiving" for many, many years, until I became good enough at cooking this meal, and actually took over hosting duties for my extended family Thanksgiving. I've done it for the past three years, but this year, we really didn't' feel like dealing with it, so we booked a cruise instead and left the family to figure out their plans.

Our family is really devoid of drama. But they are boring. Beyond boring. It is like talking to wood.
  • edited November 2015
    To support the idea of unconventional side dishes like how Rym mentioned lo mein, my family made Risotto as the main side dish using leftover drippings/juices from the turkey. Best risotto I've ever had in my life. Doesn't need gravy, just cheese to complete the richness with the rest of your Thanksgiving meal. Since my brother and I are just cooking for our immediate family, our menu is small, but incredible.

-Brined Spatchcock Chicken
    -Gravy
    -Brussel Sprouts with Bacon/Speck
    -Homemade Rolls
    -Roasted Cauliflower Soup
    -Sweet Potato Pie w/Kaluha.

My extended family Thanksgivings were also never drama filled, but I assume that's because my family never ever supplied alcohol for such events. Half of my family had substance abuse problems so I'm guessing that's why it was kept away. Trust me, I can't wait for the day when I can do "Orphan" Thanksgivings with just friends.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on