This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Resume?

Comments

• One thing I did notice is that, for every job interview I've ever had, I was always dressed quite differently from everyone else there. I remember interviewing with IBM at RIT. The waiting area was filled with other RIT students wearing identical black suits differentiated only by the slight differences in tie colour choice, plus me in jeans and a sport jacket. Guess who got the job offer. ^_~
    This is true. If you are interviewing alone, make with the suit. If interviewing with a crowd, find a way to stand out without looking like a bum. Perhaps an awesome Hojo-style white suit?

• One thing I did notice is that, for every job interview I've ever had, I was always dressed quite differently from everyone else there. I remember interviewing with IBM at RIT. The waiting area was filled with other RIT students wearing identical black suits differentiated only by the slight differences in tie colour choice, plus me in jeans and a sport jacket. Guess who got the job offer. ^_~
    This is true. If you are interviewing alone, make with the suit. If interviewing with a crowd, find a way to stand out without looking like a bum. Perhaps an awesome Hojo-style white suit?
    If you're in a more tech-oriented field, the right kind of tie worn when interviewing with the right person might make all the difference. The director of our lab, for example, has a cow-spotted tie, and another tie with a double helix on it; if you can wear something like that, it might be enough to make you stick out in an interviewer's mind, hopefully for the better. Don't be afraid to try something a little out there to get some attention; you may be surprised with the results you get.
  • I can't stand patterns on ties (most of them that is). I really only like to wear solid ties.
  • ROFLgangers on the pics, joe.

WIP, I'm with you there. I prefer solid ties, but if they have bold striping that's fine too -- and preferably a high thread count. None of this OSU, Looney Toons, argyle, flowers, or paisley crap.
  • Joe age 8, circa 1932:
  • When I was younger I had a Mickey Mouse tie, it was awesome. Too small now. Someone should make some cool ties with geeky graphics on them. Perhaps we should start a company called GeekTies. Super Mario tie? Penny Arcade tie? Homestar tie? Tux tie? Ubuntu tie?
  • edited March 2007
    Solid ties are usually a safe choice. Here is a site with some geek pattern ties. Here is another. Here is one more. This company makes all kinds of novelty ties.

Here are some nicer ties. This store won't steer you wrong, but it's a bit pricey. Brooks Brothers is always a good choice.

WIP: My mom has been posting embarassing kiddie pics of me again, hasn't she?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Joe age 8, circa 1932:
    It looks like he's scratching his ass!
  • edited March 2007
    Joe age 8, circa 1932:
    It looks like he's scratching his ass!
    I was. I had a rash. It was itchy.
  • I want ties for every gift-giving occasion, and to that end I've been attempting to instruct my wife on what makes a good tie. She doesn't get it. There seems to be an exception to every possible rule I can point out. At Christmas, it came down to "If Brad Pitt would wear it, then go ahead and buy it for me, love."
  • I only wear thin black silk ties. I despise wide ties (unless I'm wearing a double-breasted suit, which I also ((usually)) despise).
  • You know how evil cowboys in movies always have that "tie" that's just a couple of leather strings hanging down. What are those called? I like them.
  • You mean a Bolo Tie? I'm sorry Scott, but that is just retarded.
  • You know how evil cowboys in movies always have that "tie" that's just a couple of leather strings hanging down. What are those called? I like them.
    I don't recall but I used to own a few. In fact, I still have my old "brush popper" shirt in my closet.
  • You mean aBolo Tie? I'm sorry Scott, but that is just retarded.
    Yes! That's it. Those are awesome.
  • No Scott. It is the antithesis of awesome.
  • Show 'em if you've got 'em.

• edited March 2007
    No Scott. It is the antithesis of awesome.
    Especially if you make them our of green and black lanyard at summer camp. Which I did. And it was not awesome if you had any intention of wearing it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2007
    Show 'em if you've got 'em.
    Damn! That sounds fun, but I'm out of town. I won't be able to do this until Monday at the earliest. Don't you dimple your ties?

I'm in Morehead, KY. My wife needs to attend a mediation at the local university in the morning. From here we're going to Louisville for the Kentuckiana Dog Show. It's kind of a big deal. We used to enter our dogs in the agility competition, but we didn't this year. We're mainly going to see our friends.

Also, we're gonna look at some houses. Carole has this idea that we could afford a house in Louisville and an apartment in D.C. for less than we'd pay for a house in D.C. or Maryland. She's probably right. There are some pretty decent houses for $150K in Louisville, but unless you're willing to live in a box, you need to spend at least $325K in the D.C. area.

Louisville is kind of okay. I'll get to see Waverly Hills Sanatorium again.
  • you need to spend at least $325K in the D.C. area.
    Bit of an understatement don't you think?
  • you need to spend at least $325K in the D.C. area.
    Bit of an understatement don't you think?
    We saw some places in Rockville and Gaithersburg that were habitable in the $300K-$350K range. However, $150K in Louisville would buy a really decent place in a really decent neighborhood.

Working out the logistics of being in both places might be a pain at first, but since we don't have kids, we think it might be doable.
  • edited November 2010
    I have to write a music industry resume for my USC transfer application. I'm listing the more notable aspects of my experience working as a record label and one of those notable experiences was working with a Swedish punk band and a UK label on the vinyl release of their most recent EP. The snag is that the Swedish band's name is Jailhouse Fuck. I'm debating whether I should a) list the band name the way it is, b) list the band as "Jailhouse [expletive]" or c) just leave specific names out entirely and let them find out for themselves when they inevitably Google my record label's name.

What do you guys think? I'm kinda feelin' option c.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm listing the more notable aspects of my experience working as a record label and one of those notable experiences was working with a Swedish punk band and a UK label on the vinyl release of their most recent EP.
    Just write what you did using the non-specific nouns.

* Worked with a UK record label to release EP for Swedish Punk band.
  • Yeah, that seems best.
  • Necroing the old thread since I have been working on my resume for the past week. I have completed the initial full Monty in which I showcase EVERYTHING and was able to get it to three pages. If I were applying for a job I would cut portions out to make it a two page ordeal. Over a decade of experience plus several jobs does not make this a simple fix.

I also am trying a new method to my resume this time in which I phrase it more of a narrative than I would in the past, so far it is looking pretty damn well. I am in the process of finding a local photographer to get a new head shot as well as images I can use on a business card and website (it appears a personal "who am I page" is something people are actually looking for, who knew?) .

Once I run it through the editing grinder I will share with the world in hope of job advancement, right now it is a lot of grinding to get it right. I do want to post a question, if I happen to have a map for my speaking/volunteer gigs and have some additional white space, should I leave the white space there or would a logo/image retaining to that area work? If not I could always cram in a text box in a faux did you know call out to remove the white space.
  • Only one page resumes, ever.
  • Only one page resumes, ever.

I have never had a one-page resume in my life.
  • edited November 2015
    Rym said:

Only one page resumes, ever.

I have never had a one-page resume in my life.
    You're probably in CV territory, really, as am I. Dunno if tech fields value the CV like science fields, though.

Honestly, I don't know if the "one-page resume" is the be-all end-all any more. If you've got a lot of experience in a field, then you can (and should) get away with more.

But keep it concise. Nobody needs to read your rambling self-promotion.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I've always been a one page resume type. But for Government jobs you need like a book :-p

that being said if I was searching for a job today, I'd probably have a two page resume :-p
  • This thread is embarrassing.