This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Resume?

13»

Comments

• I didn't even submit a resume to my current job.

As for a "current" resume, nowadays I use the heading "Select Experience" and just list a few jobs that are relevant to what I want to do.
  • I didn't even have a proper interview for my job.
  • I am having a slight dilemma with one section:

As you can see here I have a large white space next to my map, I am thinking about putting some sort of image there to add a punch instead of just white spare or I could just leave it as is and let it be. Any thoughts on this?
  • edited November 2015
    Remove the "location" and "what is it about" columns and put your grid next to the map.

Also, even having a map and a grid is screaming "try hard". To quote The Simpsons, it "reeks of effort." Just a list is fine.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Why do you feel you need a map?
  • Cremlian said:

Why do you feel you need a map?

Adds a little extra, that's all I can easily remove it.
  • Definitely spell "Volunteer" right. definitely beautiful definitely beautiful definitely beautiful
  • I list my serious convention work as a job for each convention.
  • Rym said:

I list my serious convention work as a job for each convention.

I am doing that this time around, you bet connecticon is a major one. I am toying with it to make it work right now but giving myself some time to do it.

I decided to move the map after your input and going to squeeze out a hobbies section on the bottom, short and sweet bullet point style.
  • Anything that doesn't apply directly to the job should be as short and sweet as possible (and no graphics like that map..)
  • If I saw that map and that table, I would immediately go on to the next resume and never look at yours again.
  • Yeah, it's not immediately clear to me why I should even remotely care about those appearances. If you did something in particular that is directly applicable to the job to which you are applying, list it in work experience (because that's what you did - you worked for the convention).

Ditch the map. It adds nothing, and really the only thing it shows me is that your experience is limited. That is not an impressive diagram of travel.
  • Also, always list all years you do something, if they were discreet events. Year ranges are annoying.

For example:

"On the organizing team for Connecticon 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, responsible for lectures and special guest appearances"

is better than

"Connecticon, Hartford, Lectured/Staff, 2012-2015"
  • Depends on his responsibly if he's a department head he's probably handing convention duties year round... So I would do the 2012-2015.
  • I have duties to ConnectiCon basically all year. But PAX, I only volunteer for a weekend once a year.

Lectures and panels I don't put under work experience or the convention: those are under either GeekNights (which I list as a job) or Flyer (when I do them FOR that company).
  • Also, always list all years you do something, if they were discreet events. Year ranges are annoying.

For example:

"On the organizing team for Connecticon 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, responsible for lectures and special guest appearances"

is better than

"Connecticon, Hartford, Lectured/Staff, 2012-2015"

Yeah, you can take genuinely any volunteer or organized work such as that and apply it to a resume quite easily.

For myself, since I have little full-time work experience, I crafted a "Skills" resume where you divide every single responsibility/duty/ability you've done into different categories. (Written Communication, Administrative, Marketing, Fundraising, Technology, etc)
  • I think I said this before, but you should try reading resumes before writing one. Pretend you have to hire someone. Sort through 50-100 resumes posted publicly online, and try to pick 5 that you would interview.

Why did you pick those and not the others? Make a resume that has the qualities that made you pick the ones you picked.
  • On average you have about 15 seconds to get your point across.
  • Apreche said:

I think I said this before, but you should try reading resumes before writing one. Pretend you have to hire someone. Sort through 50-100 resumes posted publicly online, and try to pick 5 that you would interview.

Why did you pick those and not the others? Make a resume that has the qualities that made you pick the ones you picked.

Not to say that's a bad idea, but you might end up self-selecting... yourself?
  • Starfox said:

Apreche said:

I think I said this before, but you should try reading resumes before writing one. Pretend you have to hire someone. Sort through 50-100 resumes posted publicly online, and try to pick 5 that you would interview.

Not to say that's a bad idea, but you might end up self-selecting... yourself?
    That's fine. You want to work for someone you will get along with.
  • Conneticon actually came up in my promotion interview. My current boss asked me to tell him something that he didn't already know about me. I told him about the con stuff I've been doing for years.

The people you will work with aren't the people going though the resumes. Unless you're trying to get into HR or at a smaller company. Getting the interview is all about impressing HR. Getting the job is about leaving a good impression.

I suggest going on first dates to improve your interview skills. It's an overlapping skill set.
  • Just agreeing with everyone in this case, when I'm trying to apply for a developer position I just place my 7+ years of Veterinary experience in one line. The only thing that is important from this period is consulting ability and being able to work in team environments with time constrained tasks.

Usually this comes up in the interview anyway which is when I have time to elaborate on it if the employer wants to probe into that part of my prior experience.
  • In the US, it's a dick-move to ask for a photo on a resume, and providing one is usually done in the context of "yeah, I'm a white male non-uggo: use this photo so you can sort by race/attractiveness without having to ask pesky questions or accidentally bring dark people in to interview."

It's generally bad news to put a photo in a resume, and anyone in the US who asks for it may or may not be violating the law.
  • I usually include a dick pic but that's just to sweeten the deal.
  • I have dickbutt business cards. It always leaves an impression on whomever I give it to.
  • edited November 2015
    Photos on resumes are fairly standard in Asia; gotta make sure you're not too old or ugly.
    Post edited by Ruffas on