This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome Nintendo 64

edited November 2007 in Video Games
As a child my parents didn't never bought me a video game console. Recently, now that I am at college and have money and free time, I bought a Nintendo 64 from ebay ($21!!!). I have rediscovered how awesome this system is. There are so many great games. But since I am a relative newbie, what are some of your favorite games/memories of playing games on the N64???

EDIT: Mr. Period Strikes Again! I'm very sorry about my mistakes, I did include the mulitple exclamation points because it was an especially good deal, but I have no excuse for the others. lol.

Comments

• Pokemon Stadium 2. The first console game I ever owned.

Wave Race 64. I still love this game, but people who don't have nostalgia for it seem to not.

Pokemon Snap. I still play this game from time to time, as it's pretty short. There should have been another one made.
  • For me it has to be Goldeneye 007. We played the multi-player so much that we all knew exactly where the other players were just by glancing at their screen. So we tried to rig up some sort of cardboard divider system so that you could only see your own screen. Good times...
  • Starfox 64 - Do a barrel roll!

Pokemon Stadium (1) - Ah, those minigames.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Undeniably the best 3D Zelda. I'm gonna catch some heat for this, but I prefer it over Link to the Past.
    - PS: Majora's Mask is also worth a mention. It's the most difficult of the 3D Zeldas i've played.

Paper Mario - Still one of my favorite N64 RPGs.

Mario Party 2 and 3 - The series went downhill after these.

It has a horrible single player, but Bomberman 64 was one of my favorite multiplayer games.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On the bad side of things, Hey You Pikachu and Superman 64 come to mind . . .
  • Starfox 64 - Do a barrel roll!
    Ah, those barrel rolls...
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Undeniably the best 3D Zelda. I'm gonna catch some heat for this, but I prefer it over Link to the Past.
    You aren't alone, One Sin. *Braces for heat*
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Undeniably the best 3D Zelda. I'm gonna catch some heat for this, but I prefer it over Link to the Past.
    Thirded.
    - PS: Majora's Mask is also worth a mention. It's the most difficult of the 3D Zeldas i've played.
    Also agreed. Then again, OoT and MM are the only 3D LoZ's I have played. Sadly there are only 4 dungeons, and I could only gather all the fairies in the first dungeon, never tried the other 3 really. The last temple was insane enough already if you weren't thinking about those damned hidden fairies.

Anyways, games I loved on the 64:
    - Super Mario 64. Nessy is awesome! Jumping of the bridge outside the castle is awesome! I wasted too much time on that.
    - Gex 64. Borrowed this from cousins. Loved it, still love it. Perhaps I should get my hands on a cheap 64...
    - 007 Goldeneye. Good shooter, for the 64.
    - Paper Mario. Only played this once. It's very awesome. Flat Mario = win.
    - Pokemon Stadium games. The only awesome things about these was the Magikarp jumping competition mini-game :D The other minigames were fun too, but Magikarp was the win. Time your jumps or lose! Never owned the game though.
    - Donkey Kong 64. Nice game, played it a few times at my cousins (other cousins). It's where Diddy Kong got his peanut shooters and rocket barrels.
    - Glover. Also nice. Also borrowed from cousins for a while (Gex cousins)
    - F Zero X. After having won a few championships you turned to the high speed track in order to get the fastest time. Note, you'll have to break the barrier or sound.
    Those are the few I can name from the top of my head. Oh, and Rush 2. The Stunt track was awesome. 11 for air time = awesome... and means you've been hanging in the air for a minute or two (or so it felt)
  • Super Smash Bros
  • F-Zero X is definitely the business.
  • I wonder if Nintendo will ever add the older Mario Party games to the VC.
  • edited November 2007
    It would be good if they set aside some people to port more N64 games to the DS. Who wouldn't want to play Goldeneye over wireless?
    Afterthought: I got an N64 just as the PS2 came out but I was happy as anything. Finished Ocarina of Time at least 20 times. I played it every day for hours after I came home from school.
    Has anyone ever managed to fall off Silence in F-Zero X by boosting too much when you come round the corner that faces outwards?
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• Has anyone ever managed to fall off Silence in F-Zero X by boosting too much when you come round the corner that faces outwards?
    I don't remember if it was that turn specifically, but yes. Part of what makes F-Zero X so great, maybe even better than F-Zero GX, is the insane speed and sensation of speed. I would make cars with all max speed and no acceleration, then I would boost after hitting max speed. At that point, touching the steering at all would cause me to fly off almost any course. Thank the developers for the track that's just a big loop with no turns.
  • Thank the developers for the track that's just a big loop with no turns.
    That is Silence.
  • In addition to others already mentioned, I would like to mention Ridge Racer 64. I haven't played a RR since, but this one is a lot of fun to play, and get any one of/as many as you can of: WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, and WWF No Mercy, if you like wrestling, or heck, fighting, in the least. These games are still the gold standard of wrestling to some people, to the point that I've heard rumors they will be releasing an updated roster version on Virtual Console. Other ones to get are Killer Instinct Gold, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie. I rented Banjo Tooie and didn't enjoy it, but your mileage may vary on that one.
  • Oh, duh. Mario Tennis. Mario Tennis for GameCube is better, but if N64 is all you got, can't go wrong.
  • What?!? No one mentions mario kart!
  • What?!? No one mentions mario kart!
    Mario Kart 64 is the worst Mario Kart. It is absolutely entirely a game of luck, and the AI cheats outright.
  • It was ok but not of any special mention.
  • edited November 2007
    Star Fox 64 multiplayer. Star Fox 64 is also notable because it was the first ever game with rumble. Think about that!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I got real dizzy sometimes flying. I could never satisfy Peppy and his damn barrel rolls. It's an arwing, not a roller coaster!
  • Has anyone ever managed to fall off Silence in F-Zero X by boosting too much when you come round the corner that faces outwards?
    You could not get near the written down top 10 if you weren't on the edge of flying of that final curve. (the one right before the recharge fields). Damn I shouldn't have sold my N64. I want to race down Silence with that twin ship again. God that was a damned good time.
  • I await F-Zero X for virtual console, a new F-Zero for Wii, or both.
  • I still think there are a lot of games that would work well on the DS. Though probably not F-Zero X due to the DS not having an analogue stick.
  • edited November 2007
    X should be on the virtual console
    Nintendo.com says it is
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Even though I didn't have an N64, I worked for a video store and would borrow the one they had for rent. I personally enjoyed playing Diddy Kong Racing, although it's on the DS as well. Banjo Kazooie was pretty fun along with Tetrisphere, even though I believe it didn't do so well among the many Tetris games out there.

Yes, Mario Party was always awesome, even though MP1 gave me blisters from the mini games that made you spin the stick repeatedly at an insane speed. >.<
  • My cousins did have an N64 and I when I returned home for Thanksgiving this last week they gave me all of the games that they could find. So I have Zelda, Mario 64, StarFox, Episode I Pod Racer, Wave Race (ha!), and about 30 other games that I will be trying out in the next couple of weeks. They also had some really shiite games like Wheel of Fortune and Mission: Impossible, but even they are fun to play.
  • Yes, Mario Party was always awesome, even though MP1 gave me blisters from the mini games that made you spin the stick repeatedly at an insane speed. >.<</p>
    Holy shit, same here. I used to use my palm because I could rotate it much quicker than just with my thumb, leading to giant blisters on my palms.
  • Yes, Mario Party was always awesome, even though MP1 gave me blisters from the mini games that made you spin the stick repeatedly at an insane speed. >.<</p>
    Holy shit, same here. I used to use my palm because I could rotate it much quicker than just with my thumb, leading to giant blisters on my palms.
    Seriously. My friend had Mario Party 1 and from what I remember most, it was the damn mini game where you have to pedal a bike to generate enough energy to light a light bulb to keep Boo away.

First it was my right palm that had a blister, so I switched to my left. Soon enough, a blister in that left palm. Whenever people asked how I got a blister in both the middle of my palms, and I told them video games, they gave me weird looks.

Eventually, I figured it would be in my best interests to put a thin pillow or cloth between my hand and the controller, hold the controller upside down and spin it during those games. No more blisters.
    edited November 2007
    Yes, Mario Party was always awesome, even though MP1 gave me blisters from the mini games that made you spin the stick repeatedly at an insane speed. >.<</p>
    Blisters on palm here too. Worst is, I played that game during a sleeping party when I was 11 or something. The three of us played it till 4 in the morning and our hands BURNED! BUUURNED!!! But we were awesome in our own opinions at all the minigames.
    I still think there are a lot of games that would work well on the DS. Though probably not F-Zero X due to the DS not having an analogue stick.
    You don't really need an analog stick for F Zero X. Left and Right, A and B button and the L and R shoulder buttons.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited November 2007
    I heard that putting the controller upside down on a surface such as thin carpet then moving it rapidly would work well.
    I don't think just left and right would work as in F-Zero X you could fine adjust the nose of your ship and try and get a really tight curve without spinning out whereas something like Mario Kart 64 were much less sensitive. Just a thought but I'm sure they could do it somehow.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • oh right, Episode One Racer is awesome too!
  • Super Smash Brothers
    Paper Mario
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    GoldenEye 007