This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071129 - Musical Instruments

RymRym
edited November 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, Scott and I submit for your consideration a proposal regarding musical instruments. In the news, social networking is maligned unfairly, yet often poorly used regardless, and Nero is getting into the DVR market.

Scott's Thing - Would he run?
Rym's Thing - Don't do this to your grandmother.

Anyone can play the harmonica.

Comments

• edited November 2007
    I became sad after hearing what is "Cup chicks" :(
    Now I can expect anything from the world. Something inside me want to believe it is computer generated but I do not dare to watch it :(
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited November 2007
    You should probably read Hikaru no Go instead because, if I remember correctly, there were mini-lessons on Go in the back.

[Edit] Nevermind, I just checked. Must of seen it in Shonen Jump when I used to read it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The minute Rym said new thing on the internet I knew what he was talking about. It was shown to me in my friends hotel room at Anime USA. After seeing it I said "Anything I see in the world is nothing for now on." Then I continued to scream 'What the fuck was that! That shit! Shit shit shit! OMG Fuck nah you are nasty bitches!" I cussed and felt sick. Everyone else was either meh, shocked to silence, avoided it or laughed at my reaction.
  • edited November 2007
    A friend tricked me into seeing 2 Girls 1 Cup and I cried. But, there is something worse. It's called Squishy Cat, and you can pretty much assume the content based on the title. Someone posted a link to it on 4chan last night in a shock video thread. I didn't go to it but, apparently, Anonymous was even scared. I'll try and find a link for you, Scott. ^_^
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I don't know why I'm compelled to ask. What is Squishy Cat and is there a link?

I doubt it beats the cup. Nothing is scarier than that cup.
  • edited November 2007
    I don't know why I'm compelled to ask. What is Squishy Cat and is there a link?

I doubt it beats the cup. Nothing is scarier than that cup.
    From what I have heard, it's horrible, sexual mutilation of a cat. It sounds extremely depressing and horrible, although I'm not entirely sure if it's real. I can't find a link right now. I have, however, emailed Scrym a link to a video that was just on 4chan of two men castrating themselves with axes. I haven't watched it, and don't intend to. I just really want Scott to feel the physical pane of seeing the cup video.
  • I read your post...with a shocked face. Never mind. I don't want to see it. Do Not Want.
  • edited November 2007
    • The, uh, 'substance' in the cup is almost certainly not the substance you think it is; rather it is an edible substitute. Not that it helps much....
    • Hikaru No Go is awesome, and I recommend the manga over the anime. I devoured the whole series over a couple of days.
    • Scott's stringed instrument could've been some kind of zither.
    • Everyone hates the sound of thirty kids playing recorder. But if you don't like the sound of these recorders, you will never like any recorder music.
    • Instuments I own and play: flute, keyboard (connected to computer playing VSTs), and EWI.
    Good episode!
    Post edited by Paulathon on
  • edited November 2007

The, uh, 'substance' in the cup is almost certainly not the substance you think it is; rather it is an edible substitute.
    By this I mean, it is not real poo but sham poo! Haha.
    Post edited by Paulathon on
  • edited November 2007
    Scott's stringed instrument could've been some kind ofzither.
    yes, it was quite zitherish, but much simpler.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I doubt it beats the cup. Nothing is scarier than that cup.
    Pssssh, Swap.avi beats the cup any day.
  • That was a great episode, never figured the Scrym to be into musical creativity that much. Hope to hear some harmonica soon.

I saw the first few seconds of 2 Girls a while back and turned it off immediately, some really sick stuff.
  • I doubt it beats the cup. Nothing is scarier than that cup.
    Pssssh, Swap.avi beats the cup any day.
    I will never need to, nor will I intentionally, watch swap.avi thanks to Something Awful. The Horrible Saga of SWAP.avi
  • Sunshine, rainbows, butterfies, unicorns, Carebears, fluffy clouds
    I have always liked the harmonica. I've got one at home. Has anyone found any other free instruction other than what's on Youtube. I'll post whatever I find. If it is going to be a secret geek whistle maybe we should pick a tune.
  • edited November 2007
    2 Girls, 1 Cup: Wrong. Just plain wrong. I've known about this website for a while. Forum friends have told me about it, but I didn't know what it was specifically. Finally after seeing Rym's ToTD, I became fed up. My curiosity got the best of me, and I looked it up. ; _ ; I really wish I never saw that.

I really enjoyed this podcast. It was nostalgic because it reminded me of how I became introduced to musical instruments. Like Scrym, I was introduced to the recorder in the 4th grade. I can only imagine how much pain I caused my family when practicing it at home, however I was very enthusiastic about playing a musical instrument. It then lead to me to play the clarinet. I became in love. I would practice for hours every day. I was, for most part, 1st chair in my class. I was the only freshman in Symphonic Band and holding either 1st or 2nd chair. I was pretty badass, however, I quit my Junior year. Things changed. I didn't enjoy band as I once did, however, part of me wonders what would have been if I continued.

Now typing this, I just recalled a pretty hilarious story from my band days and how I failed miserably on epic proportions in a flute/clarinet duet at a regional competition. Instead of writing a long story, I'll give the jist of it. I was a sophomore paired up with a senior to do perform a duet at the regional competition or whatever it was called. We never really practiced or prepared for the thing. I basically thought, we could totally wing it. The day of the competition, I was nervous as all hell. I knew we were gonna suck major ass. At our performance, we messed up in the middle. We had to stop and start again. We messed up again. Then for some reason, I started laughing. One of those giggles that once you start, you can't stop. For some reason, I couldn't continue playing. Whenever I tried to play again, I would burst out giggling. This giggle became infectious. My partner started laughing. Then my band members, who came to watch us perform, started laughing. Eventually we finished the piece.

After a few minutes, ultimate horror and embarrassment hit me. I started bawling in tears. I realized what I did, and how stupid I must have looked. I was crying so hard in front of the Judge during our critique. He must have felt really bad for us. He comforted me and told me it was probably nerves. He ended up giving us a 3/5, with 5 being the highest. We so deserved a 2 if not a 1.

When I think about it now, I think it was pretty damn funny. ^_^

Good luck with the harmonica playing. I think it would be cool to hear you guys play sometime. Hearing you guys talk about harmonicas and it being the holiday season, gives me the urge to go watch "A Chipmunk Christmas". I used to listen to that story on cassette tape every year at Christmas time. Ahh, nostalgia.

And btw, Rym, it's "One-a-penny, two-a-penny. Hot Cross Buns" ^_~
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Playing geeky tunes on the harmonica. That does include the Geeknight opener, yes?
  • I didn't think 2 Girls 1 Cup was that bad. I watched it without getting queasy at all(I had heard about it before if graphic detail though, so I guess I was a bit prepared). It wasn't much compared to things I have seen in real life.
  • edited November 2007
    I like playing Zelda tunes in my ocarina. I am thinking on getting myself a siku when I go back to Peru.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • In this episode, Rym said something along the lines of "Oh, you had to choose one of those music classes? That's actually pretty good, I wish more towns had that."

Can you defend this statement a little more? It would seem that you're ignoring those of us with no musical skill, talent, or interest. Let's be honest here, music knowledge won't get you anywhere. Come on, a music major? Where would that get you? If you enjoy it, go ahead, just don't force the rest of us into it.

Note: I'm not arguing about offering music classes, I'm arguing against requiring music classes.
  • Note: I'm not arguing about offering music classes, I'm arguing against requiring music classes.
    There are mountains of scientific research showing that musical education, especially playing an instrument, improves education across the board. Take two identical twins in the same town and the same school. One joins band, the other does nothing. On average the kid in band will get better grades in math.

It's for your own good, like it or not. I may not be a fan of marching bands and such, but a school that lets a kid get away without music education isn't doing its job.
  • I think it should be required to learn an instrument or at least to take classes in music theory. That way you can appreciate someone playing an instrument.
  • edited December 2007
    "One a penny, Two a penny" is what you're looking for.

I remember my sister grabbed a recorder for her school, so I picked up another one for myself, and on the way back in the car I was playing Ironman and Louie, Louie.
    Oh, and I think that trumpet's the new thing now. Everyone at school wants to play it for the kick-ass solos they get, but then we end up getting a bunch of sucky players.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • edited December 2007
    It really disappoints me to hear that you guys are eschewing the Eurogames for something like Go. To me, Go is like chess. Whoever has the better skill wins - period. You guys like it because you're taking it up together. I suspect, however, that playing others will become miserable. The winner will be obvious from early on.

And besides... Euros are geeky cool. Dry abstracts are much less so. You guys just suffered a loss of 3 "cool" points in my book.

As for a deep two player game, War of the Ring is a surprisingly deep two player game with a number of paths to victory. I played it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I was amazed at how deep it is. It's a good combination of chess and a boardgame. It's dripping with theme as well. More experienced players have an advantage for sure, but not as much as in chess or Go.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited December 2007
    Uh, I don't see what's wrong with Scrym playing Go at all. If someone is incredibly worried about being obliterated by an advanced opponent, it is extremely trivial to implement a handicap to even things out.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • As for a deep two player game,War of the Ringis a surprisingly deep two player game with a number of paths to victory. I played it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I was amazed at how deep it is. It's a good combination of chess and a boardgame. It's dripping with theme as well. More experienced players have an advantage for sure, but not as much as in chess or Go.
    I've thought about War of the Ring. I will definitely attempt to play it perhaps at a gaming convention.
  • it is extremely trivial to implement a handicap to even things out.
    Ahh... I did not know that that was possible.
  • edited December 2007
    it is extremely trivial to implement a handicap to even things out.
    Ahh... I did not know that that was possible.
    Yep, in fact, there are many clubs in Japan that would allow beginners to play against Meijins (Advanced Professionals), under a handicap. Playing against an advanced player is an AWESOME way to learn and can be a lot of fun.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • 2 Girls, 1 Cup: Wrong. Just plain wrong. I've known about this website for a while. Forum friends have told me about it, but I didn't know what it was specifically. Finally after seeing Rym's ToTD, I became fed up. My curiosity got the best of me, and I looked it up. ; _ ; I really wish I never saw that.
    Yeah the same thing happened to me, however I didn't feel queasy but just wondered how fucked up a society is for people like this to be one of the lowest common denominators. It's just another reason for me not to even think of living in the US.

The music story was interesting and mirrored a lot of what my brother did except he plays the flute and he opted for Engineering and Commerce instead of Music. He also likes to play the Trumpet but only bought a fairly low priced trumpet because it's not his primary instrument (his flute cost $2000 or so). At least he ended up winning a bunch of competitions and being touring the country in the high school Jazz band. In the school he went to, everyone at middle school had to at least try to learn music and pick an instrument for a semester to play and those who are good continue on with it up till graduation. However the marching band thing is not really present in Australia,it's more to do with the school bands and getting into the top band is completely dependant on individual ability as is scoring.
  • Ahhh, shock videos, the most useless thing on the internet. Somehow I just ran into something like that yesterday. I was watching some youtube video yesterday, and there was a link to another video called "quadruple kickflip" with a kid on a skateboard as the icon. I think to myself "that kid is never going to pull this off, what the hell is this" so I click it and the video plays.

There is this kid on the skateboard saying "this is a quadruple kickflip", sinks in for the jump and just as he is about to pop, this other kid jumps in front of the camera and screams. Not scared or shocked at all, all I can think is "that is pathetic". I glance over at the "related videos" bar and see two other videos, also about 8 seconds long, saying quadruple kickflip.

Both of them are the same bullshit just one with a clown face and the other the shock face (you know which one I mean).

In general I stay clear of things like that, since I really don't like being scared and I don't want to deal with disgusting stuff, but this was just so laughable bad, and I enjoy the thought of irony that comes when I think that the kids that made these videos believe to be so cool.
  • edited December 2007
    Scott, you said in the episodes something about the drums not being difficult. I'll have you know that percussion instruments are incredibly difficult to play, although they may look easy. You try marching while playing a set of tenors.