This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071127 - Racing Games

RymRym
edited November 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk all about racing games. In the news, the PSP is in second place, and GreenPeace + Joystiq = shoddy journalism.

Scott's Thing - It Will Rock Your Web Browser
Rym's Thing - Famicom DS Adaptor

Comments

• I got a mule, her name is Sal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal.
  • The cow racing game on Wii Play uses a system similar to analog gas where you till the Wii mote forward or back to speed up or slow down.
  • The cow racing game on Wii Play uses a system similar to analog gas where you till the Wii mote forward or back to speed up or slow down.
    Yes, but it's a relative analog control, not an absolute analog control. A gas pedal defaults to 0, and you can set it to anywhere between 0 and 100. The Wiimote does not work this way. What if I start out with the buttons facing the ceiling instead of towards my body. What if I put the Wiimote on one of those machines they use to spin chair legs while carving them? Surely, a relative analog control is far superior to a discrete digital one for purposes of steering and gas, but absolute analog is the only perfect one.
  • I agree on the analog bit, I'm just pointing out that the cow racing game does attempt to simulate pressing on the gas pedal by tilting the controller forward.

Excite Truck is the business for steering, not sure if tilting the Wiimote forward would work for simulating the gas pedal.
  • edited November 2007
    I dislike most racing games. I'm pretty good at them when I give them a chance, but most of them seem really boring. I find that most of the racing games I've tried involve me staring at the back of a car for long periods of time and doing little else. Eventually, to kill the boredom, I start driving the wrong way and crashing head-on into oncoming cars.

That being said, I do enjoy the Burnout series.
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • In reference to Castlevania, and having to speak with people in town... am I the only one who gets annoyed with that mechanic? It's not a "puzzle." I can't stand games that force you to talk with everyone you see to find the one clue you need. It's no better than farming, IMHO.
  • That being said, I do enjoy the Burnout series.
    Burnout is not a racing game, it's a crashing game.
  • That being said, I do enjoy the Burnout series.
    Burnout is not a racing game, it's a crashing game.
    There are some racing modes (I'm thinking of Burnout 3 specifically), but you are right that crashing is the selling point of the game.
  • In reference to Castlevania, and having to speak with people in town... am I the only one who gets annoyed with that mechanic?
    Oh, it's an old and crappy game mechanic. In Castlevania II, I consider it a relic of that era in gaming at best.
  • In reference to Castlevania, and having to speak with people in town... am I the only one who gets annoyed with that mechanic?
    Oh, it's an old and crappy game mechanic. In Castlevania II, I consider it a relic of that era in gaming at best.
    That's one thing I don't like about Golden Sun. You have to talk to each person in town twice. Once for talking, and once to read their mind with your mind-reading powers. The first time you play it, it is awesome to get the mind reading power. When you're going around reading everyone's mind in the whole world, it gets tedious. It's part of the reason I never finished Golden Sun 2.
  • edited November 2007
    If you want a game that is really fun but unrealistic get "Trackmania: United". It's available on steam. Its got driving up loops, on the ceiling, massssssive jumps and online/lan multiplayer (though no luck with two people on the same computer.).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That game looks like it requires more track memorization than I'm willing to deal with.
  • With some of the extreme monstrosities people make it is necessary but most of the tracks can be done on the fly and you have checkpoints. Stop speculating and just try the demo or something, I assure you you will like it.
  • Add a few opponents and some trading of fender paint, and I'll be sold.
  • edited April 2008
    For me it's all about Night Driver for the Atari 2600. For me you can only play this game with the Atari Paddle controller.

Post edited by N15PCA on
  • For me it's all about Night Driver for the Atari 2600. For me you can only play this game with the Atari Paddle controller.

I loved that game, but dreaded the fog stage. You can't pass 200 cars!
  • Wipeout, you didn't mention Wipeout. The first one that came out just a couple months after the PS1 was released and then Wipeout XL, those were awesome racing games. The version for the PSP is very good also. That was the main reason I bought a PSP. I'm just afraid that the PS3 Wipeout is going to make me want a PS3.

You mentioned F-Zero X is that any good?

Oh, Scott as long as the "game journalist" had a snappy headline and a funny picture in the post it's all good. I think that's all they are responsible for anyway.
  • You mentioned F-Zero X is that any good?
    I say so. Buy it on VC if you want to play a game that not only tells you, but makes you feel like, you are going 2000kph.
  • I say so. Buy it on VC if you want to play a game that not only tells you, but makes you feel like, you are going 2000kph.
    1300-1500xph and I flew off Silence. Did America get the kph version and Europe the mph?
  • 1300-1500xph and I flew off Silence. Did America get the kph version and Europe the mph?
    Since my memory is unreliable, I will rely on screenshots from the Wikipedia article to show that speed is measured in km/h.
  • Speed is mesured in Km/h for every version.
  • edited November 2007
    I'll give it a shot, I really enjoy arcade racers. I know it's an EA game but Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is a lot of fun. There are many racing elements but it adds car chase play mechanics that can get intense. I also like the Burnout series for the racing, not just the crashing.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • I'll give it a shot, I really enjoy arcade racers. I know it's an EA game but Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is a lot of fun. There are many racing elements but it adds car chase play mechanics that can get intense. I also like the Burnout series for the racing, not just the crashing.
    Yeah, the original Hot Pursuit was a good one. I played the demo on the PC way back in the day. First game to actually pull of the police chase in a fun way. I believe there was even a multiplayer mode where one person is the cop and the other is getting chased.
  • I have been playing Rush 2 on my Nintendo 64 recently. It is a terrible racing game, as the physics are not realistic in the least and the car explodes if it hits any non-moving object; but it has a practice mode with a stunt track that is amazing. The track has a ton of jumps and ramps that you can go off and try to get flips, rolls, and other fun combos. It tallies the points and is just really fun.

Also Hot Pursuit is amazing. I have not played it in like 6 years, but I have fond memories of tricking my friend into being a police car while I was a normal car. lol.
  • Rush 2's Stunt (that is the track name) = love. Have you already found the optimal settings for motor and tires? The smallest car (forgot all the names ;-;) with the big ass heavy truck horn equals lols.

NFS: Hot Pursuit. AKA NFS:4. I myself prefer Hot Pursuit 2 (NFS6 iirc) and NFS3. NFS3 is awesome, has nice tracks and tons of cars are made for it. NFS6 just looks amazing. Ferrari F50 + Malboro skin pack and using the yellow/white one = love. Hmmmm, NFS 3 through 7 or even 8 should be in this house. XD I don't see what's so awesome about about Hot Pursuit, I mean, there were cops in NFS3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc.
  • edited November 2007
    I don't care much for racing games but I have fond memories of playing Wipeout in MS-DOS.
    Post edited by Reimu on
  • Sorry to bump, but this was the only racing game topic and I didn't want to make a new one.

I've found an awesome racing game called GRID. I noticed it on Steam and got the demo. It's amazing. However, I hate driving with the arrow keys, so I'm looking for a good steering wheel and gas/brake pedals. I've found these: This and that.

Which do you think I should get? Also, are there any better PC racing games besides GRID? It seems the most realistic and with the best graphics to me.