This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFest 14 (2016)

Comments

• No, the problem is that none of the games had baggies: they all had huge boards and really complex insert trays.

The insert trays have form-fitted places for everything, and are way overcomplicated. If the box opens even a little, they turn into a disaster.
  • Rym said:

The insert trays have form-fitted places for everything, and are way overcomplicated. If the box opens even a little, they turn into a disaster.

I've thrown out a lot of inserts... like the insert for Z-Man's print of Factory Fun. Even making the top flush with the box, it fails the upside-down shake test.

Mayfair's Settlers of Catan insert is similarly useless without help.

• Wait'll you see the gems I have with me re: inserts.
  • Anyone want to unload 120 or so boardgames right now?
  • I am on my way to the Mag. It is time.
  • edited February 2016
    So, fun Mag story that happened like minutes ago. So I, like an idiot, decided to book magfest rooms right when I was buying my tickets, 6 months ago. So of course I get a hotel 3 miles away.

Whatever, I figure it's got a shuttle, I'll make due. 2 hours ago magfest tweets they managed to free up some rooms in their hotel block, fill out this link to a google form and see if you can get one.

2 hours ago I get an email saying I've gotta call this number and give a credit card, and until that happens the reservation isn't final. I call, it works on the third try. I'm now staying in the Residence Inn like on the same street. 0.2 miles away says google maps.

Long story short MAGFEST HYPE!!!
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Are you sure it's not a scam?
  • edited February 2016
    At the time I probably couldn't have been too sure. But the number I dialed to give the credit card for the reservation was the one listed here here

The magfest guys were kinda slick with this one, somehow they managed to get reservations at the magfest room block price literally < 24 hours before it starts. But since they couldn't be bothered to have people make reservations themselves, they made a google form that asked for exactly 3 things. A first name, a last name and an email address. They then used this info to literally just reserve the rooms with that, the minimum info required to make a reservation. They then emailed you to call the hotel and put a credit card on the room so it would be a real reservation, rather than have whatever happens to reservations with no credit card attached, probably held for some short amount of time then dropped.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • One thing I can say about the MAGFest staff is that many of them do go above and beyond.

Godspeed.
  • I have not been to Magfest in two years. Been looking forward to returning for a long time.

Also, this year, I'm bringing snacks around with me. Last time I went I nearly starved to death playing a game of Tigris and Euphrates with you folks.
  • They are cateloging my board game one hour in and are just at the 10% mark
  • Speaking of board games, anyone interested in playing some here soon?
  • The journey live concert was amazing! I just wish I had known about the player selection the day before. (Only found out about the concert day of.) Wish there had been more promo, since I don't religiously read press releases & mostly rely on word of mouth.
  • The journey live concert was amazing! I just wish I had known about the player selection the day before. (Only found out about the concert day of.) Wish there had been more promo, since I don't religiously read press releases & mostly rely on word of mouth.

I only knew to look for it because another friend outside of the FRC group mentioned it to me the day before. When I went to look for it on Guidebook, I had to find the performer from the list, choose his name, scroll to the bottom where his events were listed, and then click on the event for full details and then add it to "My Schedule." That's nuts. They really should put the concerts on the schedule portion of the Guidebook.
  • From an interactivity perspective, guidebook should be like an index to a book, not the table of contents. It's where you look up the things you already know something about. In that manner, it functions well.

For promoting unique events, there should be physical signage, and headline info at the very top of the magfest website where no one need hunt for it. I had to hunt for journey live in the website: it was not under menu:what to see:guests or performers, but under menu:what to do:events, buried under 5 other non-unique events like chiprave, video game DJ battles, etc. I.e. no hierarchy, no promotion, and little guidance (what to see & what to do is very vague about its contents, as opposed to events: headline / regular, guests: special, regular, performers etc.)
  • From an interactivity perspective, guidebook should be like an index to a book, not the table of contents. It's where you look up the things you already know something about. In that manner, it functions well.

For promoting unique events, there should be physical signage, and headline info at the very top of the magfest website where no one need hunt for it. I had to hunt for journey live in the website: it was not under menu:what to see:guests or performers, but under menu:what to do:events, buried under 5 other non-unique events like chiprave, video game DJ battles, etc. I.e. no hierarchy, no promotion, and little guidance (what to see & what to do is very vague about its contents, as opposed to events: headline / regular, guests: special, regular, performers etc.)

Tweet that to MAGFest, Nikki is taking the "marketing" over and let her know
  • edited February 2016
    After spending several months expanding my panel I was able to locate something in the official MAGFest reddit feedback thread

At this point I am waiting for the video of the panel to get up so that I can send over to PAX and perform it there.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Both aspects of that post are important. Sunday at MAGFest is a total waste. It's got less going on than Connecticon Sunday. They need to have that content on Sunday at full steam by 10AM, preferably with at least a few things starting earlier. I know people are tired from super late Saturday partying, and are getting out of town early, but what's the point of the fourth day then? Might as well just start MAGFest on Friday morning and go late Sunday with a typical con schedule. Having the three days be R-S just makes people take an extra day off work.
  • edited February 2016
    https://www.twitch.tv/magfestlan/v/47358620
    For my own vanity's sake, my run in the Nidhogg Hot seat tournament. Won 28 fake dollars at this which was hella sweet. Now I got to play Rym for forum supremacy, starts at minute 18 as Montel Chilliams
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • I enjoyed Sunday, got to spend time in the arcade and play a bit of board games.
  • Jordan O. said:

https://www.twitch.tv/magfestlan/v/47358620
    For my own vanity's sake, my run in the Nidhogg Hot seat tournament. Won 28 fake dollars at this which was hella sweet. Now I got to play Rym for forum supremacy, starts at minute 18 as Montel Chilliams

Those spawn kills were really nice, but who the hell maps the pause button to b?
  • I was as salty about that as anyone else.
  • I have come down with the Con Disease. Given that one can be contagious for a day or two before actual symptoms, I apologize if I've been patient zero for anyone.
  • I have come down with the Con Disease. Given that one can be contagious for a day or two before actual symptoms, I apologize if I've been patient zero for anyone.

Still feeling good, I don't think sharing a DDR machine has passed it to me.
  • I am feeling slightly down, not sure if this is a beginning of something or just exhaustion.
  • Cremlian said:

I am feeling slightly down, not sure if this is a beginning of something or just exhaustion.

Just survive until Zenkaikon, PAX East.
  • The uploading begins....

• edited February 2016
    I have to say, I wasn't incredibly jazzed like I was last time I went. Mostly, I feel like the was a giant reminder about how many other geeks there are in the world, and that there's cool nerd stuff going down all the time. I don't get a lot of that where I live, so it was pretty refreshing.

Next year, I need to board game more. Need to learn how to approach complete strangers with the intent to game. Break that shyness barrier. It's tough in a crowd of hundreds.

Also, turns out my SO can systematically kick my ass at any given rhythm game. Who knew?
    Post edited by Lt. Chibi on
  • yea, nothing like hanging at a convention of 20k+ people to tell you are not unique :-p