This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

Comments

• Now you can also get the other legendary Pokemon

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_20th_Anniversary

AWWWWWWWWWWW FUCKING YEHH
  • I wonder if you can still catch Missingno

infinite Master balls and rare candies FTW
  • Yeah they said they're leaving that in supposedly. I want to see what happens if you try to import that into Sun and Moon.
  • If they make MissingNo canon and not a glitch that would ruin it.
  • If they make MissingNo canon and not a glitch that would ruin it.

MissingNo failed breed between two Polygon
  • The 3DS Virtual Console versions of Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow are $10. That's a bit much, but I had more than that in my eShop balance, so... Still feel ripped off because I still have the original GB cartridge.

Anyway, this is actually a really good version of the game. It's so smooth and fast. No lags or anything. You can do everything that you could do with an old GB link cable using wireless. I used to prefer playing Leaf Green, but this is really just as good.

Already got me an ultra-rare Viridian Forest Pikachu. Still looking for a Caterpie. They're rare because I chose Red instead of Blue.
  • Okay, good to know I'll need another $3 in my shop balance. I guess I'm gonna need to pay my Bank fee soon anyway, so I might as well add a significant amount to my balance.
  • Two pikachus, but still no Caterpie. WTF
  • edited February 2016
    Fuck, A metapod appeared, but I killed it with a crit by accident. It was so hard, and still had 50% health.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • CATERPIE was caught!
  • Apreche said:

The 3DS Virtual Console versions of Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow are $10. That's a bit much, but I had more than that in my eShop balance, so... Still feel ripped off because I still have the original GB cartridge.

I don't know if I have my old cartridges. I found my brother's copy of Red a while ago but didn't take it. I think I might have also found my old Yellow copy. The problem is playing them is a pain. Either have to bust out old Gameboy or I think you can play them on DS? But I really only ever use my 3DS at this point and having access to all games at all times is really nice. They announced that they would be $10 a while ago. I kinda wish they were $7 like the rest but it seems like they put some extra work in at least to make it somewhat compatible with the other games so maybe its not that bad.
  • You can play an original GB cartridge on an SP. A DS can only play GBA and DS cartridges. If you have a DS Lite, an SP and a 3DS you can play everything ever.
  • If you don't have an SP, try to look for a graphite or light blue one. They're usually the ones that have the better backlit screens like they introduced in the Micro's.
  • I'm almost positive I have my old Gameboy Color still. It was actually the one they released that came with Pokemon Yellow I think.
  • edited February 2016
    I was going to buy it, but I saw the screenshots and realized "oh yeah, the original pokemon games weren't in color" and now I don't think I will. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they didn't colorize it like all those rom hackers have.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I was going to buy it, but I saw the screenshots and realized "oh yeah, the original pokemon games weren't in color" and now I don't think I will. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they didn't colorize it like all those rom hackers have.

If you want it colorized, play Leaf Green.

Don't play Fire Red because Green is a better color.
  • I still have my original gameboy, Pokemon, Red, Blue, Yellow and Silver. My emerald is a goddamn fake though. Didn't pick Pokemon back up till Sapphire on my new 3DS.

Maybe I should try and get like one of the Pokemon games I've missed on the DS and start trading up my Pokemon from generation 1.

I just want my Venusaur. >_<
  • "The Pokémon Bank is also compatible with the Virtual Console releases of Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow, and is the only way to transfer Pokémon from Generation I to Generation VII. However, transfer of Pokémon from Generation I to Generation VI is not supported."

• Can't you transfer Fire Red/Leaf Green Pokemon to DS Pokemon games and then from the DS games to 3DS games and get Gen 1 that way?
  • Can't you transfer Fire Red/Leaf Green Pokemon to DS Pokemon games and then from the DS games to 3DS games and get Gen 1 that way?

I think you can.
  • So as I understand it, trade ups goes as follows:

Generation 1 > Generation 2 = Time Capsule (GB to GB via link cable)

Generation 2 > Generation 3 = Normal trade (GB to GBA via link cable [only FireRed and LeafGreen])

Generation 3 > Generation 4 = Dual-slot mode & Pal Park (DS with DC cart + GBA cart)

Generation 4 > Generation 5 = Poké Transfer (DS to DS via Download Play)

Generation 5 > Generation 6 = Poké Transporter 3DS app (DS cart to Pokemon Bank via app)

Generation 6 + Generation 1 VC > Generation 7 = Pokemon Bank

Trade ups aren't even possible in cases where the Pokemon has a move that isn't available in the next generation of game. Worst if it's a HM which can't be unlearned.

The means in which to catch them all are convoluted, if you don't just use Gameshark.
  • Actually, Gen 2 -> Gen 3 is not normally a thing, you need outside software to do it. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen communicate with each other, but not any of the GB games.
  • Gold/ Silver/ Crystal can trade up to Fire Red/Leaf Green, but not to Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald. (?)

Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald aren't compatible with Gen 2.

Fire Red/Leaf Green and Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald can trade normally between each other as they're the same generation.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Gold/ Silver/ Crystal can trade up to Fire Red/Leaf Green, but not to Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald. (?)

Incorrect. No Gen 2 game can connect to any Gen 3 game.
  • Neito said:

Dazzle369 said:

Gold/ Silver/ Crystal can trade up to Fire Red/Leaf Green, but not to Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald. (?)

Incorrect. No Gen 2 game can connect to any Gen 3 game.
    Game Freak Y U Do Dis
  • Thats fine. You can connect gen 1 now. And gen 2 remakes can connect. You can catch em all.
  • It was a tech issue. The GB/GBC games had no way to connect to the GBA games. They didn't have equivalent link-cables, I think.
  • Axel said:

It was a tech issue. The GB/GBC games had no way to connect to the GBA games. They didn't have equivalent link-cables, I think.

No, it's literally just the Pokemon game that's incompatible.

I used to use my GBA and Original GB to trade between my Gen 1 Pokemon games. The link connectors were different shape, but there are cables that fit both GBA and GB.
  • Ok, so here's an idea Nintendo will never do, but I would do if I was in charge.

A 3DS cartridge can theoretically hold 8 Gigabytes of data. That's actually enough space to create a Pokemon All-Stars cartridge that has pokemon games from every generation, including the current one. You might even be able to fit Moon or Sun on there as well. There probably isn't enough space for both colors of the newer generations, but you can definitely fit all the colors of the old generations.

Then what you can do is have all the games such that they share a single PC! No Pokemon Bank necessary. Goes in Box 2 on one game, comes out Box 2 on the other game. Of course, it would still have to prevent you from withdrawing your Spiritomb in Pokemon Silver, but that's fine.

There's already plenty of things like Mega Man collections which have every Mega Man game. One day, Pokemon will get the same treatment. One day. Hopefully after I retire and have time.
  • I'd assume that most people are only interested of the one Pokemon game they feel the strongest nostalgia for, so why should person pay lots of money to get all Pokemons, when they can pay less to get the one they care about.
    Also, if there is some crazy person who wants all pokemons, it's better for Nintendo if they buy them all one by one, thus paying way more than they could ask for any collection.