This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Preparation and Preppers

Tonight on GeekNights, we use preppers as an excuse to talk about that, but also dentistry, the Supreme Court shenanigans, fake panels with free videocards, and some other stuff. Two of our panels (scary games and game rules) from PAX South are on youtube! And we'll be live at Anime Boston, Zenkaikon, and PAX East!

The GeekNights Patreon has Rym and Emily reviews, bonus content, and more! Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Preparations for some sort of emergency are good, and most people could probably use more than they have but the problem with some hardcore preppers is that their lives are so centered around prepping that they don't really seem to have much of a life to preserve. Sure, have some extra food, water, supplies, .etc but if you're spending all your extra time and money on it instead of living the life you want then you might want to re-think your priorities. Some people are just outdoorsy and the survival stuff is also part of their hobby and that's fine but there are actual people who live out in the woods without power or internet because they think it might go away some day.
  • You can't prepare for Ragnarok. Once Fenrir breaks free from his chains we're all fucked.
  • If you are going to talk about preppers you really need to go see 10 Cloverfield Lane.

It's a well-executed suspense movie. The entire premise is that you wake up locked in a prepper's bunker, but was there really some attack/natural disaster, or is he just batshit crazy? Jon Goodman plays the prepper and oh man, he does a great job acting in the role.
  • John Good an is TOO good at being the crazy guy. I can't even watch Big Lebowski because his character is the worst person ever. I can't even deal.
  • I still remember one episode of Roseanne where they got into a huge fight, and the image of John Goodman yelling and flipping a table over is burned into my brain.

Dude's got chops.
  • As we said on the show, this may well be our last Anime Boston. They're inexplicably (for the first time ever) making us BUY badges, with promises to reimburse after the con...

It would be too much of a dick move to bail on them so late in the game, but we're not going to put up with that in the future.
  • edited March 2016
    Rym said:

As we said on the show, this may well be our last Anime Boston. They're inexplicably (for the first time ever) making us BUY badges, with promises to reimburse after the con...

I was told to buy my badge on site at Con Bravo because I only had 3 panels on the schedule instead of 4. They also charged for the landard (thankfully I had a spare in my car that I used).

I am weary about their push for more educational content due to that and me buying computer speakers to ensure one of the panels are working.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Yeah... We don't put up with crap like that.
  • Rym said:

As we said on the show, this may well be our last Anime Boston. They're inexplicably (for the first time ever) making us BUY badges, with promises to reimburse after the con...

It would be too much of a dick move to bail on them so late in the game, but we're not going to put up with that in the future.

They've always done that for me and Will. It's the difference between Panelist and Featured Panelist.
  • If they'd made us do that the first year, we probably wouldn't have starting going to the con at all. =(
  • If my panel there was anything to go by you won't be seeing that reimbursement for like 4-6 months.
  • Jordan O. said:

If my panel there was anything to go by you won't be seeing that reimbursement for like 4-6 months.

• Awesome...

Yeah, almost definitely not going back to Anime Boston for 2017.
  • Literally no Preparation H jokes?

The low hanging fruit is fine in moderation. I know they say don't beat a dead horse, but it's OK to poke it with a stick just to be sure.
  • I still remember one episode of Roseanne where they got into a huge fight, and the image of John Goodman yelling and flipping a table over is burned into my brain.

Dude's got chops.

That he does.
  • Rym said:

If they'd made us do that the first year, we probably wouldn't have starting going to the con at all. =(

I've never been to a con that didn't do post-con badge comps.

Not even CTCon. Any time I've ever done a panel, it was on the condition that my badge would be paid for at some unspecified time after the con.
  • Post Con comps is the exception, every other one except AB and ConBravo are all before hand.
  • For the record, I hate how CTcon's comps work. Long before we were staff, we refused to perform until they pre-comped us.
  • Gotta use that Geeknights influence to get things changed. #badgegazi
  • Scott, one party having control over two of the three branches of our government (and exerting significant pressure on the third) is tantamount to having an actual oligarchy and is very dangerously close to a dictatorship (and not the fun Roman one either). Our system has worked for two, soon going on three, decades, because it is inefficient and slow to make decisions, usually leading to a well thought out law.
  • edited March 2016
    People should be prepared. I'm prepared, I'm not a preper. You could be in NYC, you could be in the middle of nowhere. What you need to do to be prepared changes on where you live and what's around you. For me, we have food and water in the garage in the house, if we are careful we can feed ourselves for months on the rice and other essentials. I have MRE's stored in a cool place in the garage.

Bugging out it dumb, in my opinion. Bugging in is the way to go.

FEMA is a great organization, but they are always going to be at least 72 hours away from help. If they store the emergency supplies in the area (where they would be usable within 24 hours) then it will get destroyed in whatever natural disaster happened.

Everyone should at least have enough canned food, candles and water to make it for 72 hours at a minimum.

Now, man made disasters are not out of the realm of possibility. The bar owner near me lived in Yugoslavia and was in a city that went under siege during the war. During that time having the ability to distill alcohol, or having supplies to trade, was a pretty damn useful skill. That is a situation where having prepared would have been pretty damn useful, but how likely is a Yugoslavian fracturing scenario in the USA?

Chinese nuke hits NYC, your fucked:

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&kt=5000&lat=40.72422&lng=-73.9961&hob_opt=1&hob_psi=5&hob_ft=17519&ff=50&zm=10

Realistically all the 'crazy' scenarios are either unreasonable or you can't be prepared enough to make a difference.
    Post edited by AaronC on
  • They're in the grocery store right underneath my apartment. I think even walking I can get there first.
  • edited March 2016
    The only issue there is getting that food and water bought (or looting it) before it's been taken by other people. If I was in NYC I'm going to stock 72 hours worth of food in my house, super easy, water and emergency rations takes up very little space. Filling your tub is a great idea and there is a bathtub buddy that can be used to store the water.

If I'm where I live with a big garage it's much easier to just store my own stuff.

If it's Mad Max scenario or DMZ scenario it's a bigger problem and you should have left the area before hand if you really want to be safe.
    Post edited by AaronC on
  • Survival food.

First Aid kit, including red pill/ blue pill incase of Matrix

Pro/anti-fire device

That's about the minimum
  • I keep a 3-day kit in the house, and a smaller 1-2 day kit in the van, with some other vehicle-specific gear. I live in and travel through areas that can be and have been effected by natural disasters, and cases where severe weather can take out basic services from time to time, so it's a bit of a no-brainer.
  • I mean, you live in Australia. I just assume a 2-day survival kit is necessary to go grocery shopping.

We're not preppers, but man do we love having our food stockpile. We have enough food in our chest freezer and canned/dried/preserved to eat for at least a month without any supplemental purchases.

Of course, we have the space to do those things.
  • I mean, you live in Australia. I just assume a 2-day survival kit is necessary to go grocery shopping.

We're not preppers, but man do we love having our food stockpile. We have enough food in our chest freezer and canned/dried/preserved to eat for at least a month without any supplemental purchases.

Of course, we have the space to do those things.

We're not preppers because (1) we're not prepping for anything specific, just being intelligent about our food budget and possible emergencies, and (2) we are smart enough to realize that without our societal network, we are fucked, so there's no point in spending all our free time prepping with drills. We're prepping by socializing!

You get issued an HEV suit at birth, right?

This is basically us, plus ultralight sleeping bags and rice. Oh, and whiskey. Two methods of fire starting & water purification.
  • edited March 2016
    Starfox said:

You get issued an HEV suit at birth, right?

Of course we wern't. If you can't survive without some fancy-schmancy armored suit, what's the point of you?

I mean, you live in Australia. I just assume a 2-day survival kit is necessary to go grocery shopping.

Naw man, we have an Aldi right near by. You can make it with one day's essentials and a good blade at your side.

Jokes aside, I wouldn't call my emergency gear a "go bag", even though it's packed and kept similarly, it's just that way because it saves space, and makes it easier for the yearly checkup.

Our government knows what's up - every year, they run new advertisements on TV and radio about preparing for storm season(and in some areas, bushfire season), checking your disaster kit, they publish guides on what to have and how to keep your home ready for the season.
    Post edited by Churba on