This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Live at Anime Boston 2016

We will be performing live at Anime Boston 2016! Come say hi!

Friday

Role Playing Anime
3:00pm - Hynes Panel 206

Judge Anime By Its Cover
7:00pm - Sheraton Panel Constitution 1

Saturday

How to run an Anime Club
1:30pm - Hynes Panel 208

More Foreign Anime Openers
7:30pm - Sheraton Panel Constitution 1

Motivational Anime
9:00pm - Hynes Panel 208

Source Link

Comments

• You should all probably be aware that this will likely be our last Anime Boston.

1. They are making us buy badges this year, with vague promises of reimbursement
    2. The panels department doesn't respond to emails
    3. They stopped giving us hotel money
    4. The metal detectors and bag checks

I haven't bought a badge to a fan convention in a decade. I'm not going to start making exceptions now. It's too late to cancel on them this year, obviously, but we're not going to deal with the same next year.

We mostly fill our rooms, and the panels are crazy popular. But we go to a lot of cons, and I'm not about to support this continued trend of anime conventions backing away from supporting the people who provide the majority of their content. Anime Boston is the only anime convention we still perform at or attend, since it was the only one left that was both big enough and respected its panelists.

I suspect this basically ends our presence at anime cons altogether. We'll just have to bring our anime content to the ConnectiCons and Zenkaikons, and I guess add some gaming cons into the free space in our schedule.

We had a good run at least;

Anime Boston 2009
    Anime You Should See
    Beyond Dungeons & Dragons
    Know Your Creators
    Late Night Anime Boston

Anime Boston 2010
    Anime Openers from Around the World
    Anime You Should See
    Bite-Sized Anime
    The "How to Run a Panel" Panel
    The Secret Guide to Running an Anime Club

Anime Boston 2011
    The Secret Guide to Running Panels
    Who Is Hatsune Miku?

Anime Boston 2012
    Diamonds in the Rough
    Motivational Anime
    The How to Run a Panel Panel

Anime Boston 2013
    All Anime are the Same
    How to Recommend Anime
    How to Run an Anime Club
    Judge an Anime by its Cover

Anime Boston 2014
    Fundamental Anime
    Judge Anime By Its Cover
    Not All Anime are What They Seem
    The Secret Guide to Running Panels

Anime Boston 2015
    Analyzing Anime: Utena
    Foreign Anime Openers
    Judge Anime By Its Cover: Summer 2015
    Short Form Anime

Anime Boston 2016
    How to run an Anime Club
    Judge Anime By Its Cover: Summer 2016
    More Foreign Anime Openers
    Motivational Anime
    Role Playing Anime
  • You can do Anime conent at MAGFest, people are surprised that our requirement is "is this something worth seeing" regardless of topic.
  • Really....

Foreign Anime Openers, you are going to be at MAGFest 2017.
  • Rym said:

Really....

Foreign Anime Openers, you are going to be at MAGFest 2017.

You have not seen the crowd at Cartoon Intro sing along gets at 9:00 AM (147). They even play bingo and give out cereal with milk while watching the video clips.
  • edited March 2016
    I can firmly file this under things I don't care that much about.

While this year had my first MAGFest, it won't be my first AB. I like apparently many others went to MAGFest and realized that it is wayyyyyyy better than other cons I'd been to (only like 3 AB and 1 Otakon). I think I've hit that point where I realize I like non anime cons more than I like anime cons. I should try and go to a PAX, maybe next year.

But I don't think I'll be hitting AB or Otakon in the near future unless some things are changed. Like not scheduling panels back to back so guests don't have to queue to get good seats or even just to get in.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Our big shift was when we performed at our first PAX in 2008. It was like seeing through The Matrix.

https://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20080902/pax-08-part-1/
    https://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20080916/pax-08-part-2/
    https://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20080923/pax-08-part-3/

After that one con, we dropped most of our previously regular anime cons from the rotation. As soon as we brought our friends to a PAX in subsequent years, they almost all stopped going to Otakon (which until that point had been our biggest group con) immediately.

AB is probably the best anime con in the US, or at least in the east. But there's a big difference between going to a con because you want to purely to attend the con, and going to a con because you are performing. I don't think I would have attended any anime cons since 2008 if we hadn't been doing panels/lectures.
  • Welcome back! We should do dinner, perhaps before your Saturday 7:30pm panel.
  • Yeah!
  • Rym said:

Yeah!

I always looked forward to getting to see you at AB because you're busy enforcing at PAX East, but I understand why you don't want to put up with the nonsense any more. We'll just have to make the most of it!
  • Wow...

This is really going to be a shit storm this year.
  • Wow what? It's the same as last year, and the year before. Sucks they made the secret entrance slightly less secret, though. Good thing so few people will see this graphic.
  • Signs are looking increasingly strong that we will stop performing at AB after this year...
  • I thought the street enfrence had no security, guessed I misremembered
  • There are two differences from previous years.

Before, the metal detectors/wands were only at some entrances, and only for some people. Also, they let you line up inside the mall.

It looks like they're wanding/metal detecting everyone, and they're redirecting the already egregious lines outside into the shitty weather.

• I'll miss seeing you guys at AB. What with your staff obligations at CTCon and my disinterest in gaming cons like PAX this was the one con I could actually hang with you guys. That being said, I wouldn't go to AB either if I had to travel for it.
  • Best crowd-avoidance tip: Never enter the Hynes through the Pru mall. Boylston Street entrance is best, and has only very rarely had a line at all. Artists Alley entrance started getting backed up a bit last year, but still a better bet than the entrance near Au Bon Pain.

Last year they made people line up outside at that Pru mall entrance, and it was nuts. The line went for blocks.
  • Assessing the timing, I think (but can't promise) that we'll get video for Judge Anime By Its Cover. But there's almost no chance we'll get any video for the Saturday panels.
  • For the few of you following this closely, Anime Boston reached out to us, and all is well. We will almost definitely be returning for 2017, business as usual. =)
  • That's nice (or prudent) of them.
  • Eh, while I am very quick to bail on things, at the same time I do run the panels and workshops department for a pretty large con. I know EXACTLY how it is to be on the other end of those emails.

I'm still on the other end of those currently since I haven't been able to open up panel submissions yet.........
  • edited March 2016
    Rym said:

For the few of you following this closely, Anime Boston reached out to us, and all is well. We will almost definitely be returning for 2017, business as usual. =)

May I ask what exactly changed?

Also, I mentioned this to the TvH's, but due to me getting a new job, me having not had a job since December, and the attendant stress, for the first time in 8 years, I'm not going to be at Anime Boston.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Awww.. And the party was diminished by one.

They'll resume leaving comped badges for us without having to register. It was basically a clerical error this year: nothing sinister. ;)
  • Rym said:

Awww.. And the party was diminished by one.

They'll resume leaving comped badges for us without having to register. It was basically a clerical error this year: nothing sinister. ;)

I work in the area, and I'm thinking of taking a late train out on Friday, so we could lobbycon some gaming.
  • Neito said:

Rym said:

Also, I mentioned this to the TvH's, but due to me getting a new job, me having not had a job since December, and the attendant stress, for the first time in 8 years, I'm not going to be at Anime Boston.

Boo. I was looking forward to seeing you guys butt I totally get it, life is like that sometimes. If you do lobbycon let us know.
  • The only conflict now is a friend wants to take me out for a beer cus it's the end of my first full workweek impersonating a responsible adult. I should have time for a quick game, though. I'll just have to check the schedule for the trains.