This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Should I defend my title and enter the contest this year?

http://www.ciob.org/international-construction-management-day

2:54 of the video shows them interviewing a finalist from last year. I am such a horrible person.
  • Adobe's obtuse and shady pricing scheme made me not purchase it for a project I'm working on. Turns out that $9.99 a month isn't actually that. You must sign a one year contract, and if you cancel you pay half of the months left.

This means buying Adobe Photoshop for over month costs not $9.99, but $65, but of course they make that as obtuse as possible.

Upside is that I was able to use Elements, which I own, to do the work.
  • Adobe is for life. For all modern workflows, you need the upgrades over time. There's no real "just use it for one project and stop" model.

We have two adobe accounts spread across four devices in our house. ;) I also have a permanent CS4 license, as well as two pre-CC Audition licenses.
  • edited March 2016
    Can you even buy anything other than creative cloud and the $5000 everything collection these days? I was trying to find Audition for @Greg a little while ago and it wasn't easy
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2016
    Rym said:

Adobe is for life. For all modern workflows, you need the upgrades over time. There's no real "just use it for one project and stop" model.

We have two adobe accounts spread across four devices in our house. ;) I also have a permanent CS4 license, as well as two pre-CC Audition licenses.

I'm not denying the immense utility of Adobe's suite of products, nor the necessity of them. Hell, I even think that buying the software for $120 is reasonable....if I still got to use the software after one year. I'm literally the lightest weight user of Photoshop at the moment. I just need the software. No extra fonts, brushes, cloud-space, websites, marketing tools, etc. Hell, if I was consistently making and selling work using Photoshop, $120 would be a steal.

I think Adobe is missing on potential money here. I'm certain there are more people than just me who want PS for a short period of time, but just decide not to since it's not worth paying them literally forever.

The fact that their Teacher/student discount is for one year and then just regular price after is also less then stellar.
    Pegu said:

Can you even buy anything other than creative cloud and the $5000 everything collection these days? I was trying to find Audition for @Greg a little while ago and it wasn't easy

I think you can buy a one-program option for $240 for a year (ignore the monthly prices, it's all yearly) but it's a high price. There are multiple programs for editing sound that are as good and not nearly as expensive, and you actually keep them forever.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Occasional users aren't worth Adobe's time, and due to their occasional use, wouldn't be enough money to matter.

The idea of "buying" software is dead. Modern software is mostly useless after a couple years (or less) without updates.
  • I still use Lightroom 3. Updating to 4 or 5 never appealed to me, after I tried out a trial version of 4 and didn't find it compelling, and it messed up a load of edits when I imported a library from 3.

I don't mind paying a subscription for software, but in this case I don't do enough serious photography for it to be worth it. A one time payment for the latest version would be nice.
  • Well, I suppose their best answer for the casual photographer was that the photoshop-only package includes lightroom.
  • It wasn't a good deal for me.
  • edited March 2016

Pegu said:

I think you can buy a one-program option for $240 for a year (ignore the monthly prices, it's all yearly) but it's a high price. There are multiple programs for editing sound that are as good and not nearly as expensive, and you actually keep them forever.
    Isn't that creative cloud?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • There are multiple programs for editing sound that are as good and not nearly as expensive, and you actually keep them forever.

Such as?

Audacity is analogous to The Gimp: it's OK unless you need to do anything even remotely serious. Rezound (which we used for GeekNights for years) appears to have had no updates since 2008. ProTools costs a lot of money, and I expect most people who aren't professionals would have trouble using it.
  • He was using Ableton but it's mad broken.
  • It's not mad broken, it just has this one glitch I can't figure out and one feature that fucks up stuff and I can't figure out how to turn it off. If I figure out those two things I'll probably upgrade from Lite to Standard.
  • edited March 2016
    The different Wave software packages, Diamond Cut, Acoustica, Soundforge. They all have high ratings and not all of them force you to have a company's hand in your wallet for the rest of your life.

The are others, but I'm speaking mostly having not used much audio software. While there are differences, I'm sure, there are other highly rated, professional software packages that don't require eternal debt.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • For a Lightroom replacement, this is probably your best bet if you don't want to pay.

http://petapixel.com/2016/03/24/googles-150-nik-collection-photo-editing-software-now-100-free/
  • I don't need a replacement. Lightroom 3 works perfectly!
  • I kinda feel like the Gender Stuff I am currently experiencing counts as a fail and a boo-yah. :P
  • edited April 2016
    Boo-Yah: My new Pebble app is doing super well.
    Fail: It crashed it's backend last night because there was too much traffic.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • Boo-ya: it's my birthday and I have a nice dinner ive been looking forward to lined up.

Fail: my ex of two years (whom I'm still not totally over) who I havnt spoken to in a long time decides today is the day to say she's actually engaged and about to get married to someone she doesn't like at all.

Remedy: Amon Amarth
  • Boo-Yah: first day at work. Reenacting a Changing of the Guards for the Freedom Trail Foundation.

Fail: a man fresh from detox tried to start a fight with us, and when you're holding a (prop) bayoneted firearm there isn't a lot you can do that doesn't escalate the situation. Cop pulled him off before anything happened.

Boo-Yah: My coworkers wrote up a report of the incident and I just got an email from my boss commending me for how well I handled the situation.
  • An acquaintance posted on Facebook. Without criticizing that person's opinion, I politely pointed out some facts that did not line up with their view. I should point out that we weren't talking about politics, or the economy, or anything important. This was a stupid trivial matter. As a result, this person goes completely off the deep-end into crazy town and thinks I'm attacking him personally, calling him out when he brought this on himself by his own overreaction.

I just wrote an extremely cutting and devastating response, systematically destroying his arguments and calling him out on his bullshit and hypocrisy. I really REALLY want to post it, but there's really no point. Nothing I say or write will change his mind or make him any less irrational or thin-skinned. Instead, I'm just going to bed knowing that he's wrong and an ass.

I'll be honest though, taking the high road isn't nearly as satisfying as posting my response to him publicly so everyone can see what a petty asshat he really is.

Oh well...
  • It's Brexit day. :( :)
  • Will certainly be an interesting one for sure.

Buck up, we'll send you hamburgers, hot dogs, fireworks and shitty beer. We can be Independence bros!

Buck up, we'll send you hamburgers, hot dogs, fireworks and shitty beer. We can be Independence bros!
    Nah, we give them good beer. We have 4000 craft breweries in the US, WE CAN GIVE HIM SOME GOOD FUCKIN' BEER.
  • Booh-yah; found an amazing manga series. Really got into it, good characters and fun art.

Fail; Only 35 chapters have finished it all.

• Today was weird. I interviewed for a job I didn't get and got a job I didn't interview for.
  • Amp said:

Booh-yah; found an amazing manga series. Really got into it, good characters and fun art.

Which one?

• Churba said:

Amp said:

Booh-yah; found an amazing manga series. Really got into it, good characters and fun art.

Which one?

I have totally forgotten. There have been so many, let me check the lists and get back to you. I think it was Tomo-chan but I'm not certain. Then again with the current glut it could be four or five.
  • Just finished rebricking our driveway Sunday after town construction crews tore up our old custom design.