This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - 6 nimmt!

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Wolfgang Kramer's fantastic 6 nimmt! If you need a versatile, quick-to-teach, quick-to-play intense game for 3-10 players, this is your jam. It's in the spirit of Nim (hence the name), but supports many players and does not break down so quickly.

In other news, Nintendo's much-awaited Miitomo is coming to the US in a few days. Rym and Scott are playing a LOT of Civilization V lately via Giant Multiplayer Robot. PAX East (where we are performing Sunday) will have an amazing Thursday tabletop dungeon. A prankster/security researched released a game on Steam without Valve knowing about it.

GeekNights Patreon is getting very close to its first goal! Our Tshirt is still on Amazon! Rym will be at Zenkaikon this weekend!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I haven't listened yet, but I think the connection to Nim is loose at best... although I suppose you could consider the objects you are taking to be 'open slots in a card row.' :P
  • edited March 2016
    pence said:

I haven't listened yet, but I think the connection to Nim is loose at best... although I suppose you could consider the objects you are taking to be 'open slots in a card row.' :P

The connection to Nim is that you don't want to be caught taking the last stick in Nim. You don't want to place the sixth card in 6 Nimmt!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • FYI "nimmt" is the 3rd person singular present form of the german verb "nehmen" (to take, e.g. "He takes a card" is "Er nimmt eine Karte" in german). The game has apparently even been publish in the U.S. under the name "Take 6".
  • chaosof99 said:

FYI "nimmt" is the 3rd person singular present form of the german verb "nehmen" (to take, e.g. "He takes a card" is "Er nimmt eine Karte" in german). The game has apparently even been publish in the U.S. under the name "Take 6".

This kept catching me out when Scott would say something like "And then someone else has to take the nimmt."

• You guys were definitely thinking of different tabletop dungeons. The one Scott was thinking of is under the breakfast restaurant, on the Mezzanine side of Westin. That is usually booked on Thursday. A year or two ago I remember it hosting a police officer ball.

The other dungeon is underneath the Irish pub side of Westin. You can actually see into this from exterior windows, along the sidewalk behind Westin. It's big. You'd only pass these windows if you were walking over from Renaissance, though (or the 4th and 5th new hotels). The lobby policy hasn't changed much, though. They had a hardline "we will kick you the fuck out if you set up a game" policy for the carpeted area around the bar. Now that has expanded to the mezzanine and tables over by the breakfast restaurant simply because that will be filled with some other paying customers.

I didn't land a Westin this year. I buy into the theory that there was zero Westin for early access people other than Exhibitors and PA staff. Last year I made it into Westin using Enforcer access, and those rooms were so scarce that they were scooped up in ~15 seconds. Oh well. Aloft and Element are cheaper and just as close. Late April means warmer temps, so less bitching about the cold, and stupid security theater makes the Westin skybridge unpredictable anyway.

As for Tabletop freeplay space, it's gonna be big. There will definitely be some Magic and D&D spaces reserved. WotC wasn't at South either, but Cascade Games came in as an exhibitor and ran a Magic area. They already posted their schedule of events for East. WotC also posted publicly that the D&D Adventurer's League would be setting up an area at East as well. For argument's sake lets say there is also a bigger Thornwatch area this year, like there was at South. If you subtract WotC and add those three back in, my guess here is you still increase freeplay table space by 30%. This would be equivalent to the big Tabletop area of South 2015.
  • I'd be shocked if Star City wasn't running some sort of Vintage/Legacy or Modern event at East.
  • I remember that game for a reason that has nothing to do with the game itself.

It helped when there was a sudden event changer in life and helped with the coping, so if nothing else I am glad to have you guys show me that game at that moment.
  • Neito said:

I'd be shocked if Star City wasn't running some sort of Vintage/Legacy or Modern event at East.

Cascade Games is handling it.
    http://blog.cascadegames.com/pax-east-2016/
    I don't think we've ever had Star City at a PAX
  • Matt said:

Neito said:

I'd be shocked if Star City wasn't running some sort of Vintage/Legacy or Modern event at East.

Cascade Games is handling it.
    http://blog.cascadegames.com/pax-east-2016/
    I don't think we've ever had Star City at a PAX
    That... Kinda surprises me for some reason? Cus they're huge in the M:TG scene.

Too bad I won't have the time to complete my Modern deck by then. I'll at least be able to pick up some cards, though.
  • Wait so every time Scott has said "this game is bullshit" about a video game, it's because he didn't read the rules?
    Complaining about not winning when not playing to win, such hypocrisy!!
    lol :^)
  • Thanks to my friend, who is a Hotel Wizard, I managed to get into the Westin this year. B-)

He just got us rooms yesterday, so contrary to popular belief, rooms DO open up to those persistent enough.
  • Bought a copy of this game, sounds like it would fit well with the group I generally play with.