This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I guess I have a Facebook account now

Just when I thought I could avoid it forever, it turns out that
Everyone in my family really uses it
To stay in touch. As much as I find
Facebook to be a drain on health and happiness, nevermind
Understanding just how racist your extended family is,
Every old person is almost unreachable unless you
Let Facebook get its icy
CAN'T MELT STEEL BE-

Comments

• 3/10 reeks of effort
  • 3/10 reeks of effort

You have to up that to 5/10. That was a minimal effort. The minimum viable joke.

You don't understand how quickly I can whip out the JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS scroll. That shit is in my blood. My DNA. My very being.

• No, 1/10 is minimum effort. Lower than that doesn't even qualify as communication.

I gave you 3 whole points because I briefly contemplated pretending to be amused. That's worth something.
  • 1/10 is not the minimum effort. It's an effort that actually failed.

Like, if I created an account to make the joke, and then started using the account. Or I just became religious or racist or something.
    5/10 means the minimum possible joke that is still actually seen as a joke.
  • Oh, we're judging this on the "joke" scale? I apologize.

-3/10
  • We're using unsigned values. You just wrapped my joke around to be one of the funniest things humans have ever created.
  • Well, third funniest.
  • Neito said:

Well, third funniest.

I'm working on a 1/0 joke.

That'll shake things up. We're talking entirely new paradigms.
  • I haven't listened the podcast in ages so I didn't even remember that Rym has some anti-facebook stance. And still the title reeked of April fool's "joke", which was in no way funny nor capable of fooling anyone.

I guess being the worst, quality wise, april fools thing I've seen the whole day is worth something, but it's not a thing to be proud of.
  • Facebook never makes anyone happy. It's an obligation.

I avoid it because I know that it would add nothing to my life.
  • Apsup said:

I haven't listened the podcast in ages so I didn't even remember that Rym has some anti-facebook stance. And still the title reeked of April fool's "joke", which was in no way funny nor capable of fooling anyone.

I guess being the worst, quality wise, april fools thing I've seen the whole day is worth something, but it's not a thing to be proud of.

No, that is something to be proud of, because April Fool's Day is a bullshit tradition perpetrated by unfunny jagoffs. Nobody deserves actual humor today. You shall endure a parade of tired low-effort obvious "jokes" until you hate literally all life on this miserable rock.

And then, you will join me in bleaching the planet.
  • Rym said:

Neito said:

Well, third funniest.

Eh. I don't think you'll ever get there. I think you'll just keep getting infinitesimally closer each step.
  • Apsup said:

I haven't listened the podcast in ages so I didn't even remember that Rym has some anti-facebook stance. And still the title reeked of April fool's "joke", which was in no way funny nor capable of fooling anyone.

No, that is something to be proud of, because April Fool's Day is a bullshit tradition perpetrated by unfunny jagoffs. Nobody deserves actual humor today. You shall endure a parade of tired low-effort obvious "jokes" until you hate literally all life on this miserable rock.

Hey old man, I'm not that jaded yet. Don't you have some kids running on your lawn for you to shout at?

• Neito said:

Rym said:

Neito said:

Well, third funniest.

Eh. I don't think you'll ever get there. I think you'll just keep getting infinitesimally closer each step.
    Like an asymptote, gradually getting closer to something really engaging.
  • Fark actually did a good prank many years ago.

Some users, when logged in and looking at a thread, saw options to "delete" or "edit" other people's posts. It looked like it worked. You also had access to "Administration" where you could make all sorts of shenanigans happen if you wanted to.

It looked just like the shoddy back-end that most sites actually have. It actually, for a few seconds, got me. My train of thought was basically:

"Oh, crap, they must have messed up the auth-wait what day is it?"
  • Rym, the joke's on you. Everyone has a Facebook account.
  • Apsup said:

Apsup said:

Hey old man, I'm not that jaded yet. Don't you have some kids running on your lawn for you to shout at?

Not yet, we haven't closed on the new lawn.

• Axel said:

Neito said:

Rym said:

Neito said:

Well, third funniest.

Like an asymptote, gradually getting closer to something really engaging.
    Welcome to the joke. Glad you could make it. :3
  • Facebook: Soon, the only way to get in touch with your local police department.
  • Isn't there a Cory Doctorow story about something like that?
  • Ha!

The Fark prank this year is actually really good.

When you first visit the site today, it shows a weird curry site. But if you refresh or try to visit again, that's gone and the regular site is there like nothing happened.
  • My favorite is when they change the politics tag to something else just to piss all the politics people. During one of the debates they changed it to "Ow my balls" but generally they remove the politics tag to put fluffy puppies and what not, not even on apr 1st.
  • Also apparently they changed all the comments in the political thread to insert Game of Thrones characters lol...
  • The worst thing about April Fool's nowadays is that I am already prepared to not believe anything. So the real news that comes out I end up not believing for another day or so.
  • edited April 2016
  • edited April 2016
    Apreche said:

The worst thing about America nowadays is that I am already prepared to believe everything.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Trump held a press conference today: "JK LOLZ!"
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Rym said:

Facebook never makes anyone happy. It's an obligation.

No, you're just old. Facebook is valuable because it's pretty much universal, and the dystopian data collection actually makes things marginally more convenient for users. If you need to get in contact with someone and only have a fragment of their name and a vague idea of their face, Facebook is the way to go. It's really the only chat network that people use anymore, with Steam and Gchat as rare exceptions. Events and groups are really effective at coordinating people. The RIT Judo club is pretty much run exclusively through Facebook, and it works really well.

Your wall and homepage are pretty much useless though.
  • Rym has fallen to the Dark Side.
  • edited April 2016
    Ikatono said:

Rym said:

Facebook never makes anyone happy. It's an obligation.

No, you're just old. Facebook is valuable because it's pretty much universal, and the dystopian data collection actually makes things marginally more convenient for users. If you need to get in contact with someone and only have a fragment of their name and a vague idea of their face, Facebook is the way to go. It's really the only chat network that people use anymore, with Steam and Gchat as rare exceptions. Events and groups are really effective at coordinating people. The RIT Judo club is pretty much run exclusively through Facebook, and it works really well.

Your wall and homepage are pretty much useless though.
    Yeah, Facebook, like any social media, is whatever you make it into. I see people complain a lot about Tumblr's politics, but my Tumblr has filtered out all that. The same for Twitter.

Anyway, the Smithsonian gets the award for best April Fools for actually uploading a series of recordings of frogs to Spotify.
    Post edited by Greg on