This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Death of Gawker

edited March 2016 in Everything Else
I posted this in Thing of Your Day, but damn it, this topic is too good that it needs another mention.

Last July, Hulk Hogan sued Gawker in a $100 million lawsuit for posting a sex tape featuring the wrestler. The trial, which started last week and wrapped today (which you can watch here as an archived livestream), wound up being more rewarding for Hogan than anyone expected--Gawker now owes Hogan $115 million, which they cannot afford.

Lifehacker, io9, Kotaku... Your days are numbered. Adios.
Post edited by Daikun on

Comments

• Good riddance. The only reason any of those sites were ever any good is because they happened to hire some good writers/editors at various times. All those people have long since left, and the sites have been even more horrible ever since.
  • edited March 2016

Post edited by Daikun on
  • Apreche said:

Good riddance. The only reason any of those sites were ever any good is because they happened to hire some good writers/editors at various times. All those people have long since left, and the sites have been even more horrible ever since.

I disagree because Patrick Klepek is/was at Kotaku, but I can't imagine him going without a job for long. I'm hoping Giant Bomb can squeeze him back in somehow.
  • I thought those sites moved to Kinja

https://kinja.com/

Is that still under gawker? I thought that changed
  • edited March 2016
    Kinja is just an RSS for Gawker's sites.

Edit: And a few non-Gawker sites as well.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited March 2016
    EDIT: Oops. Just realized the link is 3 years old.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited March 2016
    I want Lifehacker to live through this.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • "Whatcha gonna do when the Hulkamania legal team come for you brother".
  • Daikun said:
    News that might displease you - I've spoken to a few Lawyers who specialize in these sorts of cases, none of them think it will actually stick at this point.
  • Churba said:

Daikun said:
    News that might displease you - I've spoken to a few Lawyers who specialize in these sorts of cases, none of them think it will actually stick at this point.
    The scuttle butt seems to be that they will appeal and get it reduced. The problem there being that they need to stump up $50 million before they can appeal. The other interesting thing is that the editor is up for $100,000 and the owner is having to pay a bit as well (I think not super certain).

If Gawker does go down it will be interesting to see where people end up.
  • Amp said:

Churba said:

Daikun said:
    The scuttle butt seems to be that they will appeal and get it reduced. The problem there being that they need to stump up $50 million before they can appeal. The other interesting thing is that the editor is up for $100,000 and the owner is having to pay a bit as well (I think not super certain).

If Gawker does go down it will be interesting to see where people end up.
    Considering last year, they crossed the 100 million mark in net e-commerce revenue alone, they can probably afford it. Gawker's net rev might be 45 mil, but their combined net is high enough that they can afford the 50 mil - and remember, it's not spent until they lose, it just has to be present.
  • I very much enjoy Jalopnik articles, I hope that gets bought out by another site.
  • edited April 2016
    And in a reversal of last time, I'm actually quite un-happy about that. Unpaid interships are fucking bullshit. Fair day's work for a fair day's pay, or you can fuck right off.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

And in a reversal of last time, I'm actually quite un-happy about that. Unpaid interships are fucking bullshit. Fair day's work for a fair day's pay, or you can fuck right off.

Too fuckin right. Let it be known that FrostWorks has never had an unpaid intern.
    Just unpaid owners. *badumtish*

Speaking of, Churbs, you'll be getting some worthless stock certificates in a few months once all that biz is squared away.
  • Churba said:

Too fuckin right. Let it be known that FrostWorks has never had an unpaid intern.

Speaking of, Churbs, you'll be getting some worthless stock certificates in a few months once all that biz is squared away.
    Excellent, One step closer to having all these FrostBux pay off when we take over leadership of the united states.
  • Churba said:

Churba said:

Excellent, One step closer to having all these FrostBux pay off when we take over leadership of the united states.
    When did I start having a currency?
  • Wait, Maddox still has a career? I thought his thing died off when all the edgy 15 year old boys of 2002 stopped being edgy 15 year olds.
  • Churba said:

Wait, Maddox still has a career? I thought his thing died off when all the edgy 15 year old boys of 2002 stopped being edgy 15 year olds.

I've actually seen him MORE recently. I think he's making a comeback.
  • edited April 2016
    Apreche said:

Churba said:

Wait, Maddox still has a career? I thought his thing died off when all the edgy 15 year old boys of 2002 stopped being edgy 15 year olds.

I've actually seen him MORE recently. I think he's making a comeback.
    Admittedly, half joking - I knew he was still around somewhat thanks to him coming up on Gamerghazi, which is notable since he was the only one of the whole "Fratire crowd" that both bought in with that audience intentionally who didn't either crash and burn(Tucker max), Fade away completely(Robert Hamburger), or completely go 180 on that shit(Strauss).

But yeah, suprised he's having a revival. Not because he's that super edgy sort of style, but he's super edgy in such a way that I'd have thought it would be nothing more than cringe materiel to all but the most dedicated edgy teens.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • He was on theneedledrop podcast not that long ago. Admittedly I was kinda surprised.
  • If I don't have to deal with the lawsuit, I'll take over. Overnight it would become the greatest journalism outfit in the world.
  • How'd ya go about doing that?
  • Naoza said:

How'd ya go about doing that?

change policies, hire non-scumbags, leave technical writing to technical people.
  • I'd say that'd take it from terrible to average. He made a bolder claim
  • edited May 2016
    Naoza said:

How'd ya go about doing that?

Certainly not by basing it on The Intercept's model, AKA, Greenwald and Friends personal opinion blog.

Which is slightly ironic, since eBay founder and owner/founder of First Look Media(Parent company of The Intercept) Pierre Omidyar is throwing money and people behind Gawker's camp, half for supporting press freedom and freedom of speech, half to oppose Peter Theil's attempt to do the Media a frighten. NYT reports here.
    Post edited by Churba on