This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2016

Comments

• It is definitely cheaper, and there are so few AAA, so the "it just fills a void" argument is 100% valid at this point.

Also, the panel effect is somewhat explained by the PAX 10 being Tabletop. With the indies already there, they say "OK might as well submit a panel."

East definitely blows it out of the water. But I'm curious to see if the foothold (whether from pushing in or filling a void) leads to further proportional growth in the future.

You give it room to grow, and PAX South could surprise you. I'm really curious to see how it fares in year 3, as some aspects felt scaled back from year 1. The only thing that surprised me was how, although Tabletop filled better than last year, we didn't have to kick a single table out at closing time. The place emptied in the last half hour. Is this a southern thing?
  • Matt said:

It is definitely cheaper, and there are so few AAA, so the "it just fills a void" argument is 100% valid at this point.

Also, the panel effect is somewhat explained by the PAX 10 being Tabletop. With the indies already there, they say "OK might as well submit a panel."

East definitely blows it out of the water. But I'm curious to see if the foothold (whether from pushing in or filling a void) leads to further proportional growth in the future.

You give it room to grow, and PAX South could surprise you. I'm really curious to see how it fares in year 3, as some aspects felt scaled back from year 1. The only thing that surprised me was how, although Tabletop filled better than last year, we didn't have to kick a single table out at closing time. The place emptied in the last half hour. Is this a southern thing?

Last year, WE were the only table still around that Joe had to come kick out.

They should really make all PAX 10s a mix of tabletop and video games.
  • I don't think any of us stayed after dinner or did post-dinner PAXing. This was a first for me *shrug*
  • I have the impression that a HIGH percentage of people at South were playing "real" games.
  • Made some progress on investigating that tonight. Luckily, Google Sheets has a handy-dandy IMPORTXML function, and the BGG API is pretty easy to use.

For example:

=IMPORTXML("https://www.boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi2/thing?id=54221&stats=1","//averageweight/@value")

Returns the BGG-rated "weight" of the game as a 3. I also have a lookup table of PAX library game names w/ their corresponding BGG database id #s. Only problem is the PAX data is pretty dirty, and there are many name mis-matches.
  • Hello crew, has anyone got a 3-day or individual daily badges for sale? I'm located in Boston. Cheers!
  • Made a shit-ton of progress on that convention stats sheet. Using the IMPORTXML function and some simple scripting, I was able to pull down the BGG "weight" of all games owned in the PAX library and bounce that against a spreadsheet that has a summary of South's checkout data.

This told me that the avg game checked out at South '16 was a weight of 2.03. The library as a whole was a weight of 1.96.

Does not tell us much on its own, but I'm looking forward to running this script on future show data to compare conventions to each other.
  • League of Legends is coming back. Sadness.
  • just more people crowded around a thing you and I don't care about
  • Although heavily sponsored by a non-gaming company, the replacement for the LoL area was actually w welcome addition to PAX. I hope return of LoL doesn't eliminate it.
  • It's likely to be relatively tiny as all the important / major competitions are held at their own studios or they book sporting venues.

At most I imagine they will do a merchandise booth and maybe do a few mini competitions with PAX attendees, possibly an exhibition. It shouldn't draw the attention that a final would. The current split's finals are being held in Las Vegas.

At worst they will have the finals for the University competition which has a tiny following compared to the main league.
  • Panel submission emails are being sent, I did not get in this year but passi g the word along.
  • We're doing Atari Game Design!

Maybe another horror panel too. Stay tuned!
  • Design of Atari games?
  • I'm thinking of taking a bit after things dies down later Friday and/or Saturday to run some RPGs. I've got a shitload of games like Torchbearer, Questlandia, Apocalypse World/Monsterhearts, and so forth, plus all the stuff I've been writing. I'm hoping to debut the new and improved magical girl game outside my test group there, and I've got my military games and 1-pages. Would anyone in the crew be down with such shenanigans?

(I'll probably have some recording equipment with me too, so this could be Actual Play podcast material.)
  • https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202823/pre-pax-boardgame-night-ep-2016-the-dice-awaken/p3

Looks like some company rented out the Westin lobby, so the board gamer masses are going to be spread out all over the hotel lobby scene. Expect a difficult time finding table space on Thursday night.
  • edited April 2016
    Omegathon this year is Lift It, followed by Starwahl and Nidhogg. Damn, I missed my year.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Nidhogg is a bad choice for an Omegathon game. Shit I would have been able to run the table this year too.
  • Isn't PAX East Omegathon supposed to be co-op? How will they Nidhogg?
  • Apreche said:

Isn't PAX East Omegathon supposed to be co-op? How will they Nidhogg?

2p1c let's see how well you get your moves in sync with one another.
  • Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

Isn't PAX East Omegathon supposed to be co-op? How will they Nidhogg?

2p1c let's see how well you get your moves in sync with one another.
    OMG. Nidhogg 2P1C would be glorious.
  • I'm into this year. Might watch multiple rounds.
  • There's a surprising dearth of panels about TTRPGs! Not counting playing D&D or Fiasco on stage, I only count Tabletop System Wars and My Players Keep….
  • And the people they find for these PAX Panels are often complete no-names, coming from companies nobody has ever heard of. There are a few notable people, but not many. Gil Hova from Formal Ferret. Travis from The Game Crafter.
  • That sucks! Last year they had Vincent Baker!
  • okeefe said:

There's a surprising dearth of panels about TTRPGs! Not counting playing D&D or Fiasco on stage, I only count Tabletop System Wars and My Players Keep….

We submitted one, but they wanted the Atari thing instead.

• I also submitted a tabletop panel but I am even more of a nonentity than the people who got in...
  • I submitted my nerd music panel and got rejected as well.