This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: Pre-Disney

Here's a Star Wars thread to contrast the other one. Talk about a simpler time when Lucasfilm was independent, the EU could still be canon, LucasArts was still making games, and various spinoff media was aired on CBS, ABC, and Cartoon Network.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    No.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

No, fuck off.

• We already discussed this for 40 years. Anything to say has been said.
  • edited April 2016
    1) 99% of the EU was garbage. The remaining 1% consisted of interesting ideas put together by hack authors. Disney did the right thing by destroying it and taking whatever they thought was interesting.

2) As hackish as the EU was, George Lucas himself is 10 times the hack. The best thing that happened to the franchise was taking it away from George Lucas.

3) Rogue Squadron was the shit and I want more. Also the Jedi Knight games. And KOTOR. The games have been some of the greatest Star Wars media ever.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • 3) Rogue Squadron was the shit and I want more. Also the Jedi Knight games. And KOTOR. The games have been some of the greatest Star Wars media ever.

Rogue Squadron is a crap game. Jedi Knight games were fun, but meh. I don't know why people love KOTOR games so much. They were so tedious. I'd rather play Baldur's Gate.

TIE Fighter or GTFO
  • I kinda liked that Jango: bounty hunter game for the gamecube. Not sure who made it though.
  • LucasArts, according to a cursory google.
  • You could tell the people who played games and the people who bought shiny toys, and make all sorts of assumptions about their respective character, by asking one question back then.

What's a better game: X-Wing, or Rebel Assault?
  • Apreche said:

3) Rogue Squadron was the shit and I want more. Also the Jedi Knight games. And KOTOR. The games have been some of the greatest Star Wars media ever.

Rogue Squadron is a crap game.
    You're a crap.

That's right.

Full stop.
  • Whoa now. Let's just all agree that the Rebel Assault games were small games for small minds. Let's establish that before we move forward.
  • I enjoyed Rebel Assault when I was, like, 7.
  • Rym said:

Whoa now. Let's just all agree that the Rebel Assault games were small games for small minds. Let's establish that before we move forward.

I totally agree that Rebel Assault was a total crap game and that X-Wing and TIE Fighter were infinitely superior. That being said though, the first Rebel Assault was one of the first CD-ROM games I ever owned and the fact that it had the actual Star Wars music playing in the background, instead of midi music, real voice actors, and generally (at the time) movie quality sound production, just blew me away. I remember my dad watching me when I played the game and being astounded that the sound quality changed depending on whether a character was talking to you directly versus the in-cockpit speakers of your fighter.
  • edited April 2016
    Oh my god, I forgot about Rebel Assault.

To my great shame, I owned it.

To my credit, I thought it was fucking awful. At least as a game. The music was cool, and I was impressed by the visuals when I was a kid.

But then, the Sega CD was sort of notorious for under-delivering on their games. I guess Sonic CD wasn't total garbage.

X-Wing is the clearly superior game.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Yoda Tales was the Fucking bomb :-p
  • Star Wars and Star Trek novels got me through some very difficult times in my life. I watched the '96 remastered VHS of Star Wars in probably early '97 during a snow day or a day when I was sick and staying home from school. My mom had a stroke in 1996, which was hard enough, but then I had to go to a new school for 7th and 8th grade, and then yet another for high school. My parents were overprotective of me to an extreme, and I got picked on from the moment I got into kindergarten because I wore glasses, so I missed a lot of the socialization that most kids seem to experience through their school years. Those books helped keep me busy and not feeling terribly lonely like I probably should have. They probably weren't the best books, but I can't tell you how important they were to me.
    As for the video games, I got a computer late, so X-Wing Alliance was my game of choice from that series. I loved making giant space battles in the custom skirmish mode, whatever it was called. I'll get around to TIE Fighter once I get a proper joystick to play it with. Rogue Squadron was a very fun game on the N64, really a better version of the levels everyone loved from Shadows Of the Empire, and it had an amazing secret. That game shipped in 1998 with a code to unlock the Naboo Starfighter well before we knew much about the movie. They released the code in Nintendo Power close to the release of the movie.
  • X-Wing is clearly the best, Rebel Assault clearly crap, but I am willing to defend the first two Rogue Squadron games (3rd was garbage). They were just as good as any Star Fox game, just with Star Wars theme tacked on. The N64 controller made for a decent flight controller with its centered analog stick. I spent many afternoons playing this as a skill game, going after those gold medals.
  • Matt said:

X-Wing is clearly the best, Rebel Assault clearly crap, but I am willing to defend the first two Rogue Squadron games (3rd was garbage). They were just as good as any Star Fox game, just with Star Wars theme tacked on. The N64 controller made for a decent flight controller with its centered analog stick. I spent many afternoons playing this as a skill game, going after those gold medals.

The only good Star Fox is Star Fox 64 multiplayer.

I said it.
  • I like every Star Fox game except for Star Fox Adventures.
  • Star Fox Command was one of the few games I've played that was bad enough for me to sell.
  • Rogue Squadron 1 is great. Rogue 2, not so much. But Shadows of the Empire...THAT is crap. Jedi Outcast 2 for life.
  • edited April 2016

Oh my god, I forgot about Rebel Assault.

To my great shame, I owned it.

You shut your whore mouth, that game was awesome!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • That game was one long FMV with some vague controls to determine how much of the FMV you got to watch.
  • Rym said:

That game was one long FMV with some vague controls to determine how much of the FMV you got to watch.

It was a children's game, I was a child then, everything was amazing.
  • I was a child then. That game was contemporary to X-Wing, which was superior in literally every conceivable way.

I knew as a kid that Rebel Assault was garbage. I remember disparaging friends who liked it.
  • I'm like 3-4 years younger than you, in 93 that was a big difference.
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

X-Wing is clearly the best, Rebel Assault clearly crap, but I am willing to defend the first two Rogue Squadron games (3rd was garbage). They were just as good as any Star Fox game, just with Star Wars theme tacked on. The N64 controller made for a decent flight controller with its centered analog stick. I spent many afternoons playing this as a skill game, going after those gold medals.

The only good Star Fox is Star Fox 64 multiplayer.

I said it.
    If you haven't played Me original lately, don't. It's... not good. Keep the memories from when you were a kid. E.g. the frame rate is terrible, and drops to unplayable when shit gets heavy.

Stick with Me 64.