This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WebAssembly

How will the arrival of WebAssembly affect developers who have primarily focused on JavaScript?

Comments

• The Birth and Death of Javascript is one of my favorite programming talks. 30 minutes, he talks a lot about asm.js.

You will like this talk if you like JS, or don't like JS.
  • Starfox said:

The Birth and Death of Javascript is one of my favorite programming talks. 30 minutes, he talks a lot about asm.js.

You will like this talk if you like JS, or don't like JS.

I've just smashed through writing Tetris in Javascript in the last 2-3 days as I didn't realise the due date of a project was earlier and had done most of the leg work for another game but couldn't get the mouse to work properly for the style of game I wanted.

It was freaking mind blowing in the the way I had to write every stupid function, with the stupid working around "undefined' and working around "NaN".

I could have probably done it comfortably in 1 day or so in C, C++, Java or Python.

I had to switch to an IDE because half the time I couldn't tell if what I was doing was correct.

How is this language the best to have running on the server, it's crazy!
    You should have anything else from proper scripting such as Python or Ruby to C++, Go, Swift or Rust.

We learned how to use Node a little bit but it's just a patchwork of installations to make a bad language usable.

Might just be venting, but I literally found writing a HTML5 web page more taxing than a complex Data Structures based project (which also required an accompanying essay covering the maths and efficiency testing).

I don't know how how you guys working in webdev aren't face palming every day.
  • But pretty great talk and interesting concepts if you're using low level VM to remove the compartmentalisation overhead away.

Probably venting because I was also learning clojure at the same time.
  • I always really want to like JS but it's always just too... flimsy? I don't know what the right word would be. But I always feel that it's staggeringly easy to write bad JS code and a lot of people do. So it's hard to even find good code to work off of. Then if you read more production style code there is just so much crazy shit in there that it's hard to follow.
  • sK0pe said:

They do.
  • sK0pe said:

I know I am.