This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

I'm now convinced that Overwatch can be good and I'm probably going to get it. Who's in?

Comments

• I was in the Beta weekend, and I had a freaking amazing time. It definitely shares a few gameplay elements of TF2, but it's more of a genre-based similarity instead of a direct clone.
  • I got to try it out during the Beta weekend. I spent most of my time playing Dj Lucio. His support abilities are super easy to do which are team sprint boost and group heals. All you got to do is just be nearby your team and switch between the abilities as needed.
  • I played several games and really liked every hero I tried. The game felt incredibly competent, and choice of hero really felt like it mattered. You can tell a hero's play-style just from how they control and the feel of their abilities, and it's very easy to identify counter-picks and also who the best hero to round out your team is.
    I'll definitely be playing it pretty often after it releases.
  • I've been interested in overwatch for a while. I wasn't too big on TF2 but it seems like they added some breadth to their roster.
  • I wasn't sold on this game before; I just kinda assumed that it was a TF2 knockoff, but it certainly seems like I've misjudged it.
  • I am moderately Hype after PAX.
  • The weird thing is I saw a commercial ON CABLE TV where they were advertising the "beta" for Overwatch.

Has the concept of the video game beta become that ubiquitous?
  • %s/beta/demo/g
  • I downloaded it in advance of a free beta weekend. Ended up not having any free time to actually play it that weekend.
  • Andrew said:

%s/beta/demo/g

I was gonna put "beta (see: demo)"
  • Good overview of the characters
  • Didn't we find out it's pay2win some time ago?
  • Starfox said:

Didn't we find out it's pay2win some time ago?

Don't know how we'd find that out at a point where nobody outside of blizzard had played it. Regardless, no, it's pay upfront, with presumably further content coming out as DLC later.
  • I might be thinking of a different game. HOTS maybe?
  • HOTS has rotating free characters or you can buy any of them with real money or game money.
  • HotS is basically Blizzard's League clone (a comparision that no doubt infuriates Blizzard), so it can be pay2win, depending on how the free rotation works out, and what you're good with.
  • Yeah but I mean, I bought like 3-4 characters with gold and I didn't play it that long. I'm a person in fighting games that will try every character and want to be competent with all but master of none. But I do usually still end up focusing on a couple characters. Seems the same with MOBAs too. You are gonna have a main and a couple alts probably.
  • It's been confirmed that all future Maps and Heroes will be free. The only monetization that will be in place after the initial price tag would for cosmetic add-ons (which you can technically still earn for free in-game).
  • Open Beta (read: Demo) starts now through May 9th
  • I think today is "early access" only. That is, you preordered the game and got a key. Otherwise it should be this Thurs.
  • OH BULLSHIT ON YOU BLIZZARD
  • Yeah, and you can't even just go and pre-order now to get in. You had to have pre-ordered by some arbitrary date, last Thursday or Friday.
  • I bought the pre-order just yesterday. Got my early access key this morning.
  • Oh well what do you know. They were pushing sponsored tweets into my timeline yelling *LAST DAY TO GET THE EARLY BETA ACCESS* but I guess it was all a marketing ploy.

Speaking of which! Don't pay Blizzard $59.99 for Overwatch. If you look very very closely, you can buy the regular edition for $39.99. There are about a thousand buttons all over Blizzard's sell pages to convince you to click buy on the fancy $59.99 edition that just gives you skins, mostly for other Blizzard games.
  • Oh I know. I bought the regular standard edition. I thought about getting the fancy one still because it includes the Tracer hero for Heroes of the Storm. But the extra monies just wasn't worth it for that alone.
  • Oh I know. I bought the regular standard edition. I thought about getting the fancy one still because it includes the Tracer hero for Heroes of the Storm. But the extra monies just wasn't worth it for that alone.

BUt you also get a hearthstone cardback!
  • Neito said:

Oh I know. I bought the regular standard edition. I thought about getting the fancy one still because it includes the Tracer hero for Heroes of the Storm. But the extra monies just wasn't worth it for that alone.

BUt you also get a hearthstone cardback!
    I really wish I could trade in cardbacks for actual cards/dust/gold. I only ever use the green one, and I only ever will unless they make a new green one.
  • Went live BTW
  • Damn. This game is better than expected.