This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071205 - Samurai Crusader and The Bug Boy

RymRym
edited December 2007 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Samurai Crusader and The Bug Boy. In the news, we're preparing for the New York Anime Festival this weekend, and there was drama in the anime wallpaper industry.

Scott's Thing - The Vii. Opening the Vii.
Rym's Thing - Pac Txt

Comments

• Good show, as usual.

It looks like Samurai Crusader is available through Amazon as well. If I had a credit card, I would order both right now.
  • Actually both are available at amazon. Bug boy is $9 the other is $16 per volume, I'll go ahead and add them to my list.
  • If I had a credit card, I would order both right now.
    What is the deal with people not having credit cards? Go to the website for any credit card company, fill out a form, and you will receive a credit card in the mail. Everyone should have at least one card, except for people who are stupid and will buy more things than they can afford. As long as you never charge more than you can pay, there will never be a problem. I haven't carried a balance on a credit card in many years.
    What is the deal with people not having credit cards? Go to the website for any credit card company, fill out a form, and you will receive a credit card in the mail. Everyone should have at least one card, except for people who are stupid and will buy more things than they can afford. As long as you never charge more than you can pay, there will never be a problem. I haven't carried a balance on a credit card in many years.
    Well thats assuming he/she is old enough to request one
  • Scott, what character from Astroboy is on Phoenix? Is it Oshanomizu? or are you talking about Saruta? I am just asking because I am confuse, I mean I know about the star system, but the only character that appears on both of them is the Phoenix. Anyhow another mangaka that uses that system is Naoki Urasawa.

Also, I feel sorry that Scrym cannot appreaciate the awesomeness that is G Gundam and Chiko Rodrigues. :P
  • Well thats assuming he/she is old enough to request one
    I've had one since I was 16...
  • Well thats assuming he/she is old enough to request one
    I've had one since I was 16...
    Well, down here is different, the minimum age is 18 (unless your parents get you one) and you must have a job.
  • Scott, what character from Astroboy is on Phoenix? Is it Oshanomizu? or are you talking about Saruta? I am just asking because I am confuse, I mean I know about the star system, but the only character that appears on both of them is the Phoenix. Anyhow another mangaka that uses that system is Naoki Urasawa.
    Ochanomizu is the same as all the large nose characters in Phoenix, such as Saruta. Robita also appears in both Phoenix and Astro Boy. Also, Mr. Mustachio appears in many many Tezuka manga.
  • I remember Robita, but Saruta is totally different from Ochanomizu.
  • edited December 2007
    I remember Robita, butSarutais totally different fromOchanomizu.
    It's not the same exact character, but it's the same "actor". Imagine if all of Tezuka's manga were broadway plays with the same acting troupe. The same person would play both Saruta and Ochanomizu.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Bug boy sounds like a derivative of The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.
  • edited December 2007
    Bug boy sounds like a derivative ofThe Metamorphosisby Franz Kafka.
    Perhaps in ways.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've had one since I was 16...
    I didn't get one till I went to college. There just wasn't a need for one back in the day so much. You know back in 1996 or 1998.
  • I remember Robita, butSarutais totally different fromOchanomizu.
    It's not the same exact character, but it's the same "actor". Imagine if all of Tezuka's manga were broadway plays with the same acting troupe. The same person would play both Saruta and Ochanomizu.
    I understand the star system. Anyhow, I guess they kind of look the same.
    Until recently, I haven't had any reason to want one, let alone a need for one. Besides, I rarely have money to buy stuff with anyway.
  • Until recently, I haven't had any reason to want one, let alone a need for one. Besides, I rarely have money to buy stuff with anyway.
    Having a credit card is important, and it's troubling to me that so many people don't realize this. Your credit rating depends quite a bit on how long you have had credit and been in good standing. Getting a credit card as soon as you can, using it when you would otherwise use a debit card, and paying it off every month is something every single person in the US should be doing.

There is no reason not to have a credit card, and every reason to have one.
  • I think I remember reading bits of Samurai Crusader in serial format back when Viz used to publish Manga Vizion/Pulp magazine. When you guys were talking about it I was thinking to myself, "Damn, that sounds familiar." After I checked out the artwork it turns out I was right. I'm going to have to order up copies of it from Amazon now. It appears that there are three volumes listed there, though: Kumomaru Chronicles, Way of the Dragon, and Sunrise over Shanghai. Are there actually three volumes to the series or is one of them just a reprint with a different title?
  • I've been meaning to do write this for awhile.

So I listened to the show and Bug Boy sounded really good, but I was turned away by the fact that it may be hard to find. But that weekend, I was at half price books and I found 3 copies in the clearance bin for $1 a pop. WOW!

I read it twice already and it is really good, a tear welled in my eye at the end. It is a very good manga.
  • So I listened to the show and Bug Boy sounded really good, but I was turned away by the fact that it may be hard to find. But that weekend, I was at half price books and I found 3 copies in the clearance bin for $1 a pop. WOW!
    Can you get me those extra copies?
  • Can you get me those extra copies?
    Sorry Scott, I thought about getting all three, but I decided not to. So I only bought one. but, when I go next time I will look... Just for you. ^_^ I know how much you <3 Bug Boy.
  • So I only bought one. but, when I go next time I will look... Just for you. ^_^
    Watch out Rym, looks like you got some competition...

For Scott, more are on the way! It's kind of crappy but it was a quick job.