This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• I played D-VA first, mostly because I liked the character design.

Then I played a lot of other characters, because D-Va felt too easy.

Now, when I play pub games, I find that if the chips are down, I can reliably save the day with D-Va on almost any map.

But the thing is, because I picked/played her basically randomly before I looked at how the game actually worked, I didn't notice she was a "tank." So I never played her like one. I move around a lot, fly into the air and divebomb people, and use her self-destruct like a cyborg from WF.
  • That's how you 'tank' with D.Va.

Use her mobility to go behind enemies and deal with snipers and Bastions that would otherwise hinder your team moving forward.
  • I enjoyed your moment of enlightenment the other day when you realised you could set the self destruct while jetting forward.
  • I enjoyed your moment of enlightenment the other day when you realised you could set the self destruct while jetting forward.

Holy shit was that a game changer.

Get up on a balcony. Jump jet upward, then activate self-destruct.

Nuclear artillery.

• Rym said:

I enjoyed your moment of enlightenment the other day when you realised you could set the self destruct while jetting forward.

Holy shit was that a game changer.

Get up on a balcony. Jump jet upward, then activate self-destruct.

Nuclear artillery.

I've also seen it as a last-ditch point clear using her "Eject" passive.
  • edited June 2016
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Yesterday I had the best Play of the game where nothing happened.
    It was just few seconds of me as a D.Va without mech jumping around having a gunfight with enemy Lucio and McCree until my ultimate charged up when I summoned my mech and flew out.
  • My play of the day last night was literally me dying, and then a montage of my turret wiping the enemy team.
  • Rym said:

My play of the day last night was literally me dying, and then a montage of my turret wiping the enemy team.

Did exactly that today. Nobody was prepared to stop it.
  • Last night, I joined a rando team. Everyone's doing the dance of picking characters to make the team warnings go away. Someone picks D-Va. Then someone else does. It's four D-Vas before I know it.

I do the right thing.

Holy shit did we win the FUCK out of that capture mission.

Capture point one, we utterly dominate. The other team just wasn't prepared to deal with it. Capture point two, I switch to Lucio, and we're in the zone before the other team has even set up their defenses, healing and basically invincible.

The match lasted a couple minutes tops.
  • Some interesting stuff here:

My thoughts:

1) Spectate Mode is necessary and should already be in the game.

2) Turning the chat off is already in the game. John Gabriel's GIFT is in full effect and Blizzard knows that all too well.

3) I am not sure why Blizzard is so keen on being able to export highlights as video. That would be a good addition later but it doesn't alleviate the frustration players currently have. It should be trivial now to simply store highlights as a logdata file (or something to that extent) that could be reimported into Overwatch to view it there as gameplay. Surely right now that data is stored as temporary files that are deleted upon closing the program.

4) Reaper shadow will be a welcome addition. I am however still somewhat annoyed that certain effects have to "team-colored" to make them visible. It kind of breaks the illusion particularly on Mei who just summons red ice.

5) D.va is really squishy if in a group fight. I still play her mostly like an assassin class, singling out enemies, punch them into a corner by flying into them, then gunning them down. Two things that have never made sense for me with her when she's in the Mech is how it is possible for her to get stunned by McCree and how she can be headshot. I think removing those would be a good idea. Alternately they could just remove the "head" hitbox and put a bluebox on the back of the Mech like Bastion in turret-mode.

6) McCree's fan the hammer combo is a bit OP. People are talking about giving the Flashbang directionality, as in enemies can't be flashbanged from behind. The problem with that is that it just introduces other problems and "feel-bad moments" because of Network code as seen with the always odd backstab mechanic in TF2. The idea I like is putting Fan-the-hammer on a cooldown like Lucio's alt-fire.
  • Symmetra is incredibly strong when played aggressively. If you get a beam lock on someone, don't stop even if you killed them. The level 3 charge holds as long as you're still firing. It's strong enough to kill an ejecting D'va before she hits the ground.
  • Yeah that short rangle lock-on laser will fuck people up so fast. I've killed a lot of tanks and DPS that try and roll up on me because she just does so much damage so fast.
  • D. Va's definitely not good when she gets in a position to be focus-fired. I had some success with her last night by boosting up to odd places and flanking positions and just laying down fire - heroes get really hesitant to walk into her shotgun barrages even when they don't do that much damage. For front-and-center tanking you really need Reinhardt or Winston.

Also had a beautiful Lucio game on Nepal where I knocked something like four heroes into the pit in one life.
  • I'll spam D-Va shotgunning from way across the map against entryways, and people avoid them. It's the very definition of covering fire, and it works surprisingly well.

So few snipers will stare me down and just fucking shoot me.
  • Torb is surprisingly strong in king of the hill matches. All he needs is a little space to set and forget a turret, then he can just run out to join the fight. The maps are so small that he'll almost always have the point littered with armor kits.
  • Also, SO many people don't realize how much of an asset Mercy's damage boost is. If someone is full health, switch to damage rather than heals, that extra blanket 30% is nothing to sneeze at.
  • Word on the street is that McCree may be getting a nerf on his fan. I never really thought it was a big deal but the designers seem to think the flash/fan combo is too powerful against tanks.
  • These moments are exactly what play of the day were meant to record.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4lo8e9/torbjorn_caught_red_handed/
  • ThatGent said:

These moments are exactly what play of the day were meant to record.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4lo8e9/torbjorn_caught_red_handed/

Haha!
  • I'm having a whale of a time with this game, both solo queueing and running about in small groups with a few mates.

In fairly recent news, it looks like Blizzard have Reainhardt wielding the banhammer for them.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-cheaters-are-having-a-hard-time/