This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New York Anime Festival

edited December 2007 in Conventions
The NYAF is this weekend, Friday-Sunday. We are guests there, and are doing a bunch of stuff there. We'll give you all the infos in tonight's show. Who is going? When are you going? What do you think? Discuss.

Comments

• I shall be there for the weekend. Needless to say, dumb shit (good and bad, I predict) will be going down.
  • I'm trying to go. I've unfortunately got work Friday and Saturday night. So depending on the weather I may either, take the train up Saturday night and find a nice bench or something till morning, or just come up early Sunday morning.

I want to see what they end up doing for a game room at this con. They were at one point attempting to get Katsucon game department to help them out but that never happened. So either they found a better solution or it's going to blow big time.

Is it a good thing that the Gekiga panel isn't going to be rapetacular or rapetastic or whatever? I saw at the Otakon panel and it was the majority of conversation for several hours afterwards. Never before had I seen a man lift a tree with a women tied to it over his head and ask her to urinate on his face to get the blood, he was bleeding, out of his eye's...

• Is it a good thing that the Gekiga panel isn't going to be rapetacular or rapetastic or whatever? I saw at the Otakon panel and it was the majority of conversation for several hours afterwards. Never before had I seen a man lift a tree with a women tied to it over his head and ask her to urinate on his face to get the blood, he was bleeding, out of his eye's...
    Would it be fucked up for me to say that was one of the best parts? XD
    I have to give props to anything that scarred my friends souls forever.

I wish I was going to this. I could get to NYC for DC easily. It just that I have no place to stay or enough money for reg.
  • I shall be there. I hope that there will be no rape.
  • NYT is handling the vidja games.
  • I took the day off tomorrow to come up and go to it. Then I should be spending the whole weekend at the con... festival... whatever you want to call you. I haven't taken the train into NYC in a long time.
  • Well, it looks like Ananth and Aido are road-tripping out at the last minute. ^_^ Anyone who comes to the con will probably get to see them Saturday at our (or possibly Mookie's) table, and we may just use them in one of the gameshows.
  • For those of you who are going, I'm curious as to what concerts you're all planning to attend. I'm interested in the Saturday Unicorn Table performance, as I won't be able to make it to the one on Friday.
  • Anyone got a room I could sleep at? The person I was going to stay with is going to be staying at his sister's apartment so I'm out a room. I will pay to stay obviously.

It's not necessary for me to have a place to sleep, I'd just prefer it to having to take an hour and a half train ride each way each day.
  • I get the impression that convention center is going to be kind of badass this weekend - what with this as the lineup of events:

December 6, 2007 - December 9, 2007
    Magic The Gathering World Championship

December 7, 2007 - December 9, 2007
    The New York Anime Festival - public

Wish I could be there.
  • Back from my first day (and probably only day even though I have a weekend pass.) It was nice, not really crowded, lots of cool stuff to buy, the Gekiga panel was very awesome. But I don't really feel like taking the train again an hour and a half both ways tomorrow just to really see the Anime Match game, and the live Geek Nights (even though they will no doubt be awesome.) There just doesn't seem to be a lot going on at the con.
  • There just doesn't seem to be a lot going on at the con.
    Yeah. We probably wouldn't be there tomorrow if we weren't guests.

I have to say, though. It's -really- weird to be at a con, then be home that night, and yet still have more con. I don't usually get this break during one.
  • New Blood from NYAF!
    I'm a 27 year old otaku-gamer girl from NJ. I was the one wearing the modified Wizards of the Coast shirt with a Cobra one underneath it. Don't remember?

Eh, I'll properly introduce myself to you tomorrow if I am not busting vocal cords (probably my own as opposed to a competitor's) tomorrow at the voice actor competition.

Your events have kept me entertained and many others this weekend and for that I thank you both. I owe you some Pocky.
    Time to prepare an offering for Tymora. Names will be drawn at random for the VA thing and I need a bit of luck on my side.
    Of course, If I am not chosen to participate in the Voice Acting Contest tomorrow, I'll see you at the match game.
  • Welcome katriel911, seems you are the first new forum goer to join from the NYAF.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome.
    A follow-up from my last post.
    I was chosen to be a contestant for the voice acting thing so please tell me who won today's match game.
    Unfortuneately half way through my scene I froze. (It was the dialogue between Amelia and Gaav from Slayers Next) Since it was a scene from one of my favorite series, I knew it pretty well so I don't understand how this happened. It felt like the words were stolen from me. Hmmm....Theives...Tymora...makes sense.

Maybe I should have asked the deity of luck for her blessing for the long haul, not just to be picked from the pile, or I should have just stuck with my LG alignment. No harm no foul, I still had fun.
  • Do you guys remember the Bahamas cruise give away near the waffle vendor? Apparently, they called me today to tell me that i won a paid trip to Florida and the Bahamas. The catch was, I had to pay a $300 deposit. The funny thing is, 30 minutes prior, my friend Stephen had gotten the same exact call. I asked the guy how many people won the prize and he said only 1% of the participates from the con were called. So the chances of both Stephen and me winning a one in 20,000 chance for a trip to the Bahamas are just about null. What do you guys think? I looked it up a bit and www.Vacationmoments.com seems to be a scam but nothing mentions www.myvacationmoments.com. Are they the same? I'm guessing I already have the answer myself but I'd like to double check. Also, its a warning to anyone else who got called. Fucking scams
  • Do you guys remember the Bahamas cruise give away near the waffle vendor? Apparently, they called me today to tell me that i won a paid trip to Florida and the Bahamas. The catch was, I had to pay a $300 deposit. The funny thing is, 30 minutes prior, my friend Stephen had gotten the same exact call. I asked the guy how many people won the prize and he said only 1% of the participates from the con were called. So the chances of both Stephen and me winning a one in 20,000 chance for a trip to the Bahamas are just about null. What do you guys think? I looked it up a bit and www.Vacationmoments.com seems to be a scam but nothing mentions www.myvacationmoments.com. Are they the same? I'm guessing I already have the answer myself but I'd like to double check. Also, its a warning to anyone else who got called. Fucking scams
    Mostly those people are just trying to collect information so they can spam people. They give the promise of fabulous prizes to get you to give them your information. In reality, there is not much to win. Check the fine print and you will see. Remember, if it's too good to be true, it is.
  • You didn't win anything.

The cruise is on a crappy ship that is basically a shuttle between Florida and the Bahamas.

They get a ton of your personal information, overcharge you for hotel, airline tickets, etc.

Usually you have to make hotel and airline reservations through them. They will gouge you.

The cruise alone can be had for $357/pp based on a random date in February. So do the math from there. You're already paying a $300 "deposit." A deposit implies that there are more charges to come.

Trust me... it's not a good deal.
  • edited December 2007
    ANN article on the cruse scam

I guess it happened to many people.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I guess it happened to many people fools.
  • Alright, this year's fest is upon us. I'll be there on Saturday, anyone else coming?
  • We'll be there Saturday running several panels.
  • Hey Rym, If you get a chance to go through the dealers room, Check out David Wong's booth. He was at Mikomicon this past weekend and he's a pretty cool guy.
  • Most likely going Saturday... maybe Friday. Maybe.
    Are you two going to have a table this year?
  • Unfortunately, no. Scrym vetoed the idea because they would have to man the table the whole time.
  • I know this is not really the place to ask, but is there any crash space any of you know about I might be able to use? I am very interested in going, but the people I was going with backed out just yesterday.

If any of you know of have any space to sleep any of the nights, please E-mail me at Sinnett.a@neu.edu
    Thanks, Oh and if I don't find any... I'll still be gong, but it will be one hell of an adventure when night rolls around.