This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Overwatch

Comments

• Jumping Lucio Flash
  • On the subject of Lucio.

• I am pretty much at the point where I'm gonna start watching character and map strategy videos when I have time to kill.
  • edited June 2016
    This week's Brawl is good because it forces you to learn all the classes. However, I still have little desire to be good at most of them like the snipers, most offense, and some tanks.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Rochelle said:

This week's Brawl is good because it forces you to learn all the classes. However, I still have little desire to be good at most of them like the snipers, most offense, and some tanks.

I was... very, very bad when forced into characters I didn't know.

Sniper is definitely the hardest to achieve mastery at, and there are plenty of people who will do so: you can avoid it if you want. In the old WF days, the snipers were people who basically only ever played sniper, highly specialized.

• I got put into a Brawler where we were attacking on Annubis and they somehow how two Mei's defending, Hanzo, Mercy, Zarya, and McCree. We had no chance. Double ice wall shields at the choke points.
  • I initially counted Widowmaker as a character I would play, but damn, I just can't hang with the sniping. I had some solid rounds with her during the beta, but people are getting better and I'm not dedicating that time to sniper practice.
  • Rochelle said:

I got put into a Brawler where we were attacking on Annubis and they somehow how two Mei's defending, Hanzo, Mercy, Zarya, and McCree. We had no chance. Double ice wall shields at the choke points.

So... In that mode, our team kept killing ourselves until we had a good loadout. Then we were able to avoid further death (mostly) because we were all playing heroes we knew).
  • Last night on Brawl I ended up winning a match on a team with 4 Mercy's, Mei, and myself as Tracer. You wouldn't think that would be effective, but we steamrolled the other team.

I'm also glad for the random characters since I'm getting more familiar with them. Figured out that my best offensive is now Pharah. Still awful at Reinhardt and all support characters except Mercy.
  • Rochelle said:

I have the opposite - I want to be good at as many as possible, to increase my usefulness to team across all situations. I spent most of the first week playing at least a few deaths with whatever hero it picked for me when I entered the game. I have some I'm better with that I'll gravitate towards, but I still try to mix it up as much as possible.

I'm still an absolute pile of uselessness with Genji, Hanzo, and Zenyatta though, with Zarayh not far behind.

I still think the first brawl was hilarious, with fast cooldowns, fast ult recharge, and reduced respawn timer. So many crazy slogs.
  • I also tend to try to play all heroes somewhat. Obviously there are those I'm better with and those I prefer and those I suck at, but if I feel like we have room for me to experiment with hero I'm not too comfortable with, I tend to go for it.
  • Yeah I do the same thing I do in fighting games where I try to get pretty good with all characters and specialize in a couple. I'd probably say my main is D. Va and she is usually the person I change to when my team is in danger of losing because I'm pretty good at disrupting the shit out of their team in the last moments. I don't play many of the attackers because people always want to play attackers (even when they usually aren't good at playing them). But if I do I usually play Reaper or Tracer. I play a lot of the other classes though.
  • In order of most play:

Pharah
    D.Va
    Lucio
    Torbjorn
    Widowmaker
    Bastion

I really don't play anyone else...
  • Apparently Blizzard is already testing changes to Widowmaker. She is rather OP at the moment. I think increasing the charge time for full power would be good and also her Ultimate needs to end when she dies.
  • I don't want them to nerf Widowmaker, even though I don't play her often. In the old genre games, the snipers were gods in the hands of a skilled player, and the meta adapted around that.
  • Roadhog
    Zarya
    Pharah
    Symmetra
    Widomaker
  • I haven't played Overwatch yet, but I've been watching strategy videos and I already know all the characters names.

I should probably just play it.
  • I still don't actually know all the character names, and I play it every day.
  • Rym said:

I don't want them to nerf Widowmaker, even though I don't play her often. In the old genre games, the snipers were gods in the hands of a skilled player, and the meta adapted around that.

This and there are plenty of great counters to Widowmaker. Hanzo or Widowmaker can counter-snipe her, Bastion can turn her into swiss cheese, Roadhog can pull her down and take her out, Tracer or Reaper can appear next to her and harass her...
    I main as Widowmaker and Symmetra and neither one of them can turn the tide of the battle on their own, as it should be.

Bastion, however...
  • Bastion goes down like a chump. He needs to be stronger.
  • Pharah
    Bastion
    Torbjorn
    Mercy

I need to take some time and stretch out beyond those 4 characters. I have tried a bit of Solider 76 and Lucio, to see if I could make good use of them if the situation fit. Aside from those, I've written off Widowmaker, and tried some other characters only in the beta. I could not figure out for the life of me how to be good with Zarya or Winston.
  • Many a time I've fucked up Widow as D. Va. You can fly up to her with your shield up then just blast her or startle her enough for your team to get in place.
  • The more I was thinking about it, and there's a thread about this on Giant Bomb, but I don't think any of the characters really need balancing. Maybe super slight tweaks here and there.
  • Basically, you can't nerf snipers. If you're going to nerf a pure sniper, just get rid of pure snipers as a class.

TF2 made the mistake of nerfing the sniper to be "equal" to the other classes. That made the sniper worthless: even perfect sniper play had minimal impact on the game.

Sniper is traditionally in the top tier of skill classes in these games. Recon/Scout (closest to Tracer probably) was number 2.
  • I should add I'm also trying to git gud at Mei
  • Andrew said:

I should add I'm also trying to git gud at Mei

Mei is a beast if used well. I've watched Chie take some mofos down hard.
  • I feel that the thing about Widowmaker is how much player skill matters with her. Good Widowmaker is super powerful killing machine, while bad or even mediocre Widowmaker is nothing special.

But it's funny thing in Overwatch that most heroes can kill most other heroes really easily as long as the situation is correct. While I've been playing with my friends, we have been cursing one hero after another depending who on enemy team is particularly good. Sometimes it's Widowmaker, sometimes Junkrat, sometimes Soldier and so on.
  • We'll see how things progress as skill is gained. It's not a lie that in competitive WF matches on 2fort5wf, there would be 1-2 snipers in each tower, and the entire midfield was a no man's land of instant headshot death.
  • edited June 2016
    It's funny how often people don't expect Mei to roll up on them when the wall is up. I would constantly fuck with snipers by wall blocking them, going around the wall, then freezing them. They just sort of wait for the wall to come down or try and move closer to the open side which plays to my advantage. I also just enjoy denying people that try to flank since most flanking points are narrow corridors.
    Post edited by MATATAT on