This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Left 4 Dead 3

edited August 2013 in Video Games
http://kotaku.com/valve-tour-leaks-left-4-dead-3-1036602962

Anyone excited for this game?

Care to speculate new features?

L4D3 codename for something else?

Comments

• Lukewarm at best. I enjoyed the first game a hell of a lot, but L4D2 was a bit limp and felt rather empty. The addition of melee weapons, although novel, did not add much, like wise with the new infected. If there is a change in the mechanics or maybe something closer to L4D1 then that would sway me, or something that would add more to the co-op.

Reading back that was all rather vague. TL:DR; I hope that it is fun to play with other people and doesn't get repetitive.
  • "L4D3 is in development" is far from "L4D3 will be released," especially at Valve. I'd much prefer something new from Valve rather than another damn Left 4 Dead game. Things more interesting than L4D3 from that screenshot:
    • Valve is apparently using PHP for something? (wtf?)
    • An updated version of the source engine called Source2 in development
    • The monitor listing bugs is kinda cool, I guess?
    Pretty sure that's old news.

Pretty sure that's old news.
    Yeah, but it's still more interesting than L4D3 :P
  • I'm excited any time Valve releases a game. Whatever it is it'll probably be brilliant.
  • Zombies are so 2000 and late.
  • edited August 2013
    It's not getting released. I'm calling it now.
    Old image, but still very relevant.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Valve can count to 3! It's a miracle!
  • Maybe with the release of the source 2 engine, there will be sequels for all.
  • Lukewarm at best. I enjoyed the first game a hell of a lot, but L4D2 was a bit limp and felt rather empty.
    I am on the other scale with L4D2 but I think that's because 80% of my steam friends list still play L4D2 on a nightly basis and we are competitive rather than casually.

I found the melee weapons really fun and then on particular stages are a must for some setups. It is also particularly satisfying to doge a charger an head shot melee him when otherwise it would certainly result in an entire team knock down.

Also there are a number of times and places on the maps in which a jockey initiation can bait into a full team incap or significant loss for the survivors.

I don't understand what could be changed in mechanics, they are almost exactly the same as any other FPS.

All the mutation and custom maps / modes also make for great longevity in this game, similar to the PC games I grew up with like Quake and Half Life where community development would keep a game going rather than waiting for poorly made paid DLC which has been popularised by console developers.

TLDR
    I would be looking forward to it as well as the source 2 engine.
  • Coop Vs. mode

2 teams of 4 race to the chopper (escape vehicle) via different routes, first team to escape alive wins.

Only 4 can fit on the vehicle, whoever survives gets to play onto the next level, then the same for the next level.

Taking shortcuts, like having a team mate boost you over a fence, can save time but leaves you vulnerable.

Rollerskates, fast on the flat roads, extra slow up elevations.

More weapons, more unique zombies. Mod-able weapons.

Hats? lol
  • Coop Vs. mode
    The game is already a co-op versus mode in the "Versus" mode. Four people cooperatively try to make there way through the stage while the other four people cooperatively try to kill them or deplete as much health as possible.
    2 teams of 4 race to the chopper (escape vehicle) via different routes, first team to escape alive wins.
    Without any human specials? AI based special infected are way too easy to handle and are not able to sync up. This is effectively 2 teams doing a speed run side by side without fear of an opponent's strategy. I'm pretty sure you could play a racing game or cart game which could equate to this.
    Only 4 can fit on the vehicle, whoever survives gets to play onto the next level, then the same for the next level.
    Kind of anti-fun especially for the team member that is lost early, you would have so many people that would quit this mode that people just wouldn't play.
    Taking shortcuts, like having a team mate boost you over a fence, can save time but leaves you vulnerable.
    Risky shortcuts already exist. (Such as the truck jump on the first map of Dark Carnival or the level jump on the first map of Dead Center, the plane hop in Swamp Fever etc.)
    Rollerskates, fast on the flat roads, extra slow up elevations.
    Wouldn't really change a coordinated or even uncoordinated infected team and if it were only a few that could have these speed boosts, all it does is split the group which is inviting certain death for your character. The use of going up and down hills at different speeds is already present which is why you can choose not to go up hill in certain campaigns or have to deal with it as a confrontation with the opposing team such as having to use the elevators at all the points in Dead Center. Or the uphill climb at the end of the first part of Dark Carnival.

More weapons, more unique zombies. Mod-able weapons.
    More weapons require a reasoning for them, it would tie in with more unique zombies. I'm not sure how much time you spend at weapon stashes as surivors to sit and modify your weapon.

Most of the entire list you've asked for is either in the game, part of mutations provided by Valve or available through community modifications.

I played a mash up of Portal 2 puzzle solving as it directly relates to the L4D2 characters which lead to a football field of a team of tanks.

Seriously if you want even 1 of these just have a look at the game again or download the mods that are available.
    Hats? lol
    Wrong game? LOL
  • L4D2 was a significant improvement. I spent a TON of time in Scavenge mode and loved it. Looking forward to whatever they cook up in the 3rd iteration, whenever that will be.

Rumours have started again.
  • Zombies aren't cool anymore.
  • Zombies are always cool.

FTFY
  • Valve is working at Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 4, Portal 3 and what ever ips they have. That's not news worthy unless there is release date, or even window.