This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's sooo hot (I.E. Weather bitch thread)

1202122232426»

Comments

• Naoza said:

This is apparently the one thing I fundamentally disagree with everyone here on, apparently. I'm that coworker Rym and Scott always complain about, who complains about the weather, and when it's too hot (aka anything over like 75) cranks the AC.

I should have been born in Norway. They have a saying there: There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

That's true, if you live in Norway. If you live here, you're quickly at the point where I apparently have to begin taking off my skin to be in the correct clothing.

I was like you, once.

Then, after a bout of hypothermia and years of shoveling snow, the truth came to me.

Fuck winter.

There, I said it.
  • Greg said:

Fuck the heat bring back winter.

• Babies want it cold? ;)
  • Can't grow jack in the winter. Free food in the summer.
  • I'm quite comfortable at 75, warmer is OK until the humidity gets up there.
  • Winter sucks because I have to bundle up EVERY TIME I go outside. It just feels like a chore.
  • I don't mind the 90 degree weather so much as the humidity.

Work cranked up the AC so I'm wearing my PAX East hoodie.
  • MATATAT said:

Winter sucks because I have to bundle up EVERY TIME I go outside. It just feels like a chore.

I rarely need more than my coat. Even in the harshest Boston winter my wool trenchcoat is the most I need. Any more and I actually overheat.
  • Greg said:

MATATAT said:

Winter sucks because I have to bundle up EVERY TIME I go outside. It just feels like a chore.

I rarely need more than my coat. Even in the harshest Boston winter my wool trenchcoat is the most I need. Any more and I actually overheat.
    But even just putting on a coat just annoys me. Gotta put it on every time, when you go somewhere if you take it off you gotta figure out a place to put it or just hold on to it all the time. In Summer I always am just wearing the same things that I will be wearing until I go to bed.
  • In summer I'm often wearing pants because the A/C in buildings is way too cold for my bare legs. I don't like being hot, but I generally start to sneeze violently when I get too cold.
  • I really dislike the way many buildings will have the AC cranked so much that you need a sweater inside. And then you go outside and all the humidity instantly condenses on you, rendering you a sticky mass of grossness. Bonus points if you wear glasses because they will fog up and you won't be able to see for the next 5 minutes until they warm up.

I have no problem with summer weather, but I get irritable about the ways humans mishandle the corresponding indoor environments.
  • Too much AC is a problem. I set mine to 76, which is what Con Edison recommends. I usually don't even use them and just open the windows to save energy/money.
  • We have a fancy programmable thermostat. It's set for 78 during most of the work day, 72 in the morning and evening, and 70 during sleep time. 78 definitely is a bit warm for comfort, but it gets me off my butt and doing things instead of laying in bed (unless I'm REALLY tired/sick). Usually the AC doesn't even need to come on during that part of the day unless it's 90 or so outside.
  • edited July 2016
    I am perfectly willing to admit I'm a big baby when it comes to heat. 5 years in Rochester winter, biking to campus from Rustic Village (4 miles) right through and over the snow made me into a dude who didn't even own a coat. 2 hoodies at one time maximum. It also made me a whiny and sad little man when it's even a bit too hot. Shoveling accompanied by a podcast or audio book is one of my favorite things. Like driving with a podcast, just something I love.

Long term, I wanna live closer to the arctic circle. I think, wonder what the north most thing that qualifies as a city is.

Edit: Here's a list. Don't wanna live in Russia so.. looks like I wanna go to Anchorage, Bergen, Tampere, or Reykjavík.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Phoenix weather, so hot. I must've drank a gallon of water on Monday. Dry heat is tolerable but 110 degrees is bullshit.
  • Got back from Japan where the weather was a nice 30+ C, the humidity was a bit annoying but landed in a biting cold Winter of 12C. :smiley:
    In Japan they don't really go excessive with the air conditioning like they do in Singapore. Anyhow, back to wearing a jumper.