This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080626 - The Darkness that Comes Before

Comments

• I just got past the part where Conphas basically daydreams about killing his uncle. I don't know why I didn't make it through these books sooner.
  • Conphas
    That was one of my favorite scenes in the entire series.

Don't worry. Conphas gets even...better.
  • The amount of Dune in this book is unbelievable. When I read about chanv, an appearance-altering drug that extends life, sharpens the mind, changes the appearance of the user, and has an obscure source that few people understand, I smirked a bit. Well played, R. Scott Bakker.
  • Conphas gets even...better.
    Conphas and the consort. Conphas and Cnaiür. Conphas being spanked by Cnaiür. Conphas and has family. Conphas Conphas Conphas.

He's a delight ever time he's in-scene.
  • Conphas gets even...better.
    Conphas and the consort. Conphas and Cnaiür. Conphas being spanked by Cnaiür. Conphas and has family. Conphas Conphas Conphas.
    He's a delight ever time he's in-scene.
    Conphas considering killing the Emperor in his own great hall right after he returns from war was pretty great too.
  • Conphas considering ...
    Especially for how his uncle completely punks him.
  • That banner.
  • That banner.
    It had it coming, dressing the way it did.
  • edited April 2014
    So I finally finished this book. I dig it. Reminds me a bit of like fantasy Dune or something. Bought the second book today.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Also the whole Ikurei family is a bunch of crazy fucks.
  • I finally got through the first book. I really enjoyed it. Those characters all drifting together in this weird web engulfing itself.

This was my third attempt at reading it. Twice before I'd confused myself with all the names and ever changing protagonists by the time I'd got into the emperor's chapter.

But my head is much clearer now and my reading skills are up on where I was on those previous attempts.
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah that is one thing this book does that Dune did as well where it just starts using words as if you should already know what they are. Kinda off putting at first but then you start absorbing their meaning in context. It always sorta bothered me when authors would just start explaining shit all the time. Clockwork Orange the first two chapters you're not even sure what you read, but then it starts to make more sense. Coincidentally Alex also stops using Nadsat more and more as the book progresses.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • So on the books I have there is a face on each of the covers.

On book 1 I took the picture to be Maithanet. He looks out at Achamian, blue eyes recognising the mark of the few. For me that's the face. But maybe it's Kellhus with darker hair. I mean he's the Prince of Nothing after all...

What about the other books? The guy on the Warrior Prophet isn't doing anything for me right now but maybe it will later.
  • The latest book has a very good "what came before" section. It's just long and detailed enough to trigger my memory of everything that happened leading up to the current moment.

Bonus points: the actual book begins seconds after the end of the last one.
  • edited July 2016
    In Ishual, right? Fuuuuu-
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Well, a bunch happened all at the same time. It picks up from one of those scenes, seconds after the thing happened.

Then it picks up another scene, also seconds after the thing happened.
  • I think I might just listen to the last few chapters of the previous audiobook before taking the plunge into this one.
  • I think I might just listen to the last few chapters of the previous audiobook before taking the plunge into this one.

I was actually surprised at how well the specifics of those moments were recalled as I read the "what came before." I get the impression he spent a lot of time on that part. It all came flooding back to me in surprising detail.
  • Rym said:

I think I might just listen to the last few chapters of the previous audiobook before taking the plunge into this one.

I was actually surprised at how well the specifics of those moments were recalled as I read the "what came before." I get the impression he spent a lot of time on that part. It all came flooding back to me in surprising detail.
    Now I'm disappointed. I checked my Audible library and it turns out I must have read the first two aspect emperor books as dead tree versions. But because last year I reread the first trilogy by listening to the audiobooks, audio and was the freshest thing in my mind, and I remember listening to books I obviously didn't listen to.
  • I popped over to Amazon to get the ebook version:

Kindle Price: $13.25
    includes VAT*
    Pre-order with 1-Click®
    This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on September 29, 2016.

Deliver in September? So because I live in Germany, it's just a big fuck you?

Le sigh.
  • I really liked something Kellhaus said to Proyas on page 125 of the paper tree version. Not quite done reading yet.
  • Motherfuckin Heron Spear

Starting off on a strong note.
  • DAT SPEAR.

It's a laser cannon, right? Tell me I've been right all along.
  • How about you talk spoilers in the spoiler thread? It's literally right there on the front page of the forum.
  • How about you talk spoilers in the spoiler thread? It's literally right there on the front page of the forum.

It's not a spoiler. I haven't read even one letter of the new book. Laser cannon has been my guess forever.
  • Alien Apache
  • edited July 2016
    At 2x speed, I got through The Judging Eye audiobook in 2.5 days. At this rate I should be able to start The Great Ordeal by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • How do you like audible? I only ask because last I tried them I was in college and immediately grew frustrated that they didn't give me the ability to save the audiobooks I'd legally purchased as a .mp3. At the time I had a dedicated .mp3 player, as my phone at the time wasn't up to the task of being an mp3 player, was the early days of smart phones.

Quick read time for an audiobook, sorta diminishes the argument that an audiobook is necessarily slower than a dead tree.
  • Audible is really good. I'm very happy with the service, and the app is pretty decent. If you don't like a book you can ask for your credit back and try another instead. It's cheaper than buying audiobooks individually, and works out cheaper than ebooks or paper books for new releases.
  • I managed to get through both The Judging Eye and the White Luck Warrior in five days. Now on to the new one!