This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

Comments

• Got my Snorlax. Guess I don't need to catch any more Pokés.
  • Neito said:

Matt said:

My Nexus 5X struggles mightily with the AR, but that phone is a mess.

I'm not having issues on my 5X. It works just fine for me. Gets a touch warm, but the game runs just fine.

I'm at the point where I think I got a defective phone, and should really get off my ass and try to get an RMA, but I've had the phone for quite a while now. Looking at the 5X reddit, my laundry list of complaints is not uncommon, but most people have no issues.
  • It's finally officially out here in Finland too. Time to catch some of them.
  • Someone set up three lures at Brighton Common tonight. Huge crowd. Probably going to set up some lures there tomorrow while I'm busking. Helps the draw.
  • Greg said:

Probably going to set up some lures there tomorrow while I'm busking. Helps the draw.

You should definitely do this.

• Greg said:

Probably going to set up some lures there tomorrow while I'm busking. Helps the draw.

Some some Pokesongs while you're at it.
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

Some some Pokesongs while you're at it.
    Working on a blues adaptation of the iconic theme song.
  • 50,000 XP required to level up after 20. Wow
  • Matt said:

50,000 XP required to level up after 20. Wow

Oof.

I've just started grind-evolving Pidgies/Weedles/Caterpies and whatever else I have lying around. It's a pretty good way to rack up the XP when you pop a Lucky Egg.

I also just evolved a low-CP Raticate with Hyper Beam. Oh game, how you mock me so.

• Matt said:

50,000 XP required to level up after 20. Wow

Welcome to Niantic. Leveling up was a bitch in Ingress.
  • I will never level up in Pokemon Go.

I got to level 8 in Ingress only because I played very early and I got there without specific effort. I looked at what it would have taken to hit level 9 and then decided to uninstall the app.
  • Yep. Pokemon Grind is a GO. I just want to get my 900 CPs to over 1000 so I can effectively do more/proper gym battles.

There is a gym near me level 8 near the biggest hot spots of 5 Pokestops within a few blocks of walking. Instinct has it pretty much locked down tight. It's insane.

Right now, I'm getting beyond frustrated because my GPS isn't working as it should be. I have did various things like turn off location services, turn phone on/off. I find that accessing Google Maps first to get your location then going to the Pokemon GO app to be quite helpful. However, at the hot spots, it has me at different locations not within range of the Pokestops where I'm standing on top of it.

I wanted to break my phone in half I was so frustrated. I don't know if it's my phone or service. I'm tempted to get a portable wifi hot spot thru Verizon, but not sure if that will help. I seriously have been walking a lot more which is fun.

I woke up early on Sunday at 4:30 AM. I figure since I'm awake, go check out the local hot Pokestops and sure enough people where there. It's been awesome when my cell phone/GPS works.
  • There's no way to engage with the gym scene in most of New York unless you are insane. The gyms near my office have crazy high level nonsense in them all the time, and go down dozens of times a day.
  • Rym said:

I will never level up in Pokemon Go.

I got to level 8 in Ingress only because I played very early and I got there without specific effort. I looked at what it would have taken to hit level 9 and then decided to uninstall the app.

I mean, I'm level 11 currently and I just now did the "Lucky Egg/evolve" thing because I had a lucky egg and 75 Rattata candies. My exp has come from catching, evolving, hatching, and battling as I've felt like it.

So you can get levels without "leveling" per se, at least for a bit. We'll see how I feel when it gets grindtastic.

• Starfox said:

Got my Snorlax. Guess I don't need to catch any more Pokés.

"Listen you can't pull 10 Pokémons."
  • So the minimum best time to use an egg is with 60 pidgeys and 661 candies?
  • I have been playing a lot. Seemingly everyone I know is in, and we've been going on trips to local towns and stuff. We are doing it right, not driving around spinning pokestops. We go, we get some local food, we walk around to the pokestops and actually read the historical site markers and such. It's been a ton of fun.

I'm at level 20 now. I saved up pidgeys/weedles twice for power-leveling, but if I hadn't done that, I'd still be level 17 just from walking around playing with friends.

The gym scene is not as crazy in NJ. They do go up and down constantly, but at my level, I can take down medium level gyms alone. Do that 2 or 3 times in a town and then collect my benefit. I like the gyms waaaaaaay better than Ingress towers. When you control a Pokemon gym, you can cash in for credit in in-game gold. The only way to get gold otherwise is real $. I cashed in with 4 gyms once, and got something like 60 gold and 2,000 stardust.
  • Greg said:

Someone else set up three lures at the park. Walked down and spotted a group of seven. Played my blues rendition of the Pokemanz theme song. Five of them left before I was finished. Pokemon Go fuck yourself.
  • You know it's pretty shitty how they have the candies system for leveling up your Pokemon. Like your starter is pretty much useless most of the time because you're not going to find that many Squirtles or whatever out in the wild to properly power it up.
  • Apparently the starters come out of 2k eggs as well, but fuck me if I've ever seen one do that.
  • Matt said:

Apparently the starters come out of 2k eggs as well, but fuck me if I've ever seen one do that.

I had a bulbasaur come out of a 2k egg, but only once.
  • They should have a widget or like tie in with Google Fit so that you don't have to actively have Pokemon Go open to log the distance for hatching eggs. I walk more than enough to hatch most eggs in a day but I can't always have it running when I am so I haven't even hatched my first egg yet.
  • They should have a widget or like tie in with Google Fit so that you don't have to actively have Pokemon Go open to log the distance for hatching eggs. I walk more than enough to hatch most eggs in a day but I can't always have it running when I am so I haven't even hatched my first egg yet.

They do have the walker thing coming later in the year that I'm pretty sure does that, but I'm not sure what else is up with it.
  • Apparently you push the button when you walk near a pokestop (possibly also for pokemon) and it automatically interacts with it.
  • edited July 2016
    Post edited by MechanicalMind on
  • edited July 2016
    Apparently since I signed up within the initial launch while the servers were fucked, I completely missed out on the starters.

I can't get over how awful this UI is. Why would I want a blue disc when I touch the screen? Why not make an obvious touchable location to distinguish pokestops from pokemon? Why can't I go directly to my list of eggs? Why not combine the pokeball and avatar pic functionality into one button? Why not place the transfer button above the map while it loads and/or pre-render the space for the map so the transfer button doesn't shift down after the map loads? Why are gym fights such a clusterfuck?
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • The game can't be too streamlined or more people would see it for what it is.

Remember, this is a candy box game. If you don't care about the pokemon skin, you can literally just play candy box.
  • Caught a Magmar and Dratini today by the Moduled Pokestop. Yesterday, I saw 10 people gathered together by several pokestops, some even showing off the game to their daughters. 30 people walking by with their phones, pokemon shirts and backpacks.

This game is such crack. It's a guaranteed phenomenon and all the companies involved need to keep this golden egg in Fort Knox.