This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Flying Witch

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Flying Witch (ふらいんぐうぃっち). It's light, pretty, generally enjoyable, and otherwise inoffensive. In the news, Billy Bat nears its conclusion, the Queen Emeraldas manga is coming out in (hardcover) English, the GUNDAM movies are online for free (for now), a Mouse Guard movie is in the works, and an SDCC staffer hijacks the "Women in Feminism" panel at SDCC.

Rym and Scott don't know much about Arthurian Legend, but this movie might be good. Scott also seem to like blue guys.

GeekNights is live at PAX West 2016 with "The Grind!" Support GeekNights on Patreon! Buy My Shirt!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• MrPeriod said:
    I watched the first 20 seconds. "What is this, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Excaliburs?"

GUY RITCHIE

"Oh. Ok then."
  • Guy Ritchie was like an English Quentin Tarantino for Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Have no idea what happened after those two films.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Guy Ritchie was like an English Quentin Tarantino for Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Have no idea what happened after those two films.

Every artist needs to strike a balance between doing what they do best and mixing things up. If you keep singing the same song, it gets old. If you switch it up constantly, people really want more of what made you love them in the first place.

Guy Ritchie made the mistake of not changing. After cooking two delicious meals that tasted the same, we got bored of that flavor. He didn't have a second act.

Meanwhile we're desperate for Super Duper Metroid or Daft Punk Rediscovery.
  • The problem was he made Snatch. It achieved as near perfection as one can with the genre.
  • I liked Rock N Rolla. More of exactly the same thing though.
  • Scott they made super duper Metroid, it's called Axiom Verge.
  • Coldguy said:

Scott they made super duper Metroid, it's called Axiom Verge.

I'll try it.
  • It's pretty good. Up until the point when it gets so punishingly hard to kill people it was easier for me to just take the damage and run through them.
  • Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

Guy Ritchie was like an English Quentin Tarantino for Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Have no idea what happened after those two films.

Guy Ritchie made the mistake of not changing. After cooking two delicious meals that tasted the same, we got bored of that flavor. He didn't have a second act.
    I actually think Guy Ritchie's mistake that he did change. This is why I compared him to Tarantino.

Tarantino movies consists of guns, violence, but with a lot of dialogue/ wit/ interesting characters and scenes the build up to the action. While each film having distinctively different plots (as opposed to heist, heist, heist). Not to mention the cast recycling. eg. Samuel L Jackson etc. etc. and Jason Statham.

After Snatch there's a clear divergence from this. The later films are only thematically similar and lack the substance that made the first 2 enjoyable.

I have no faith that Guy Ritchie will make a come back.

I am however looking forward to seeing Moana. Walt Disney Animation Studios seems to be dethroning Pixar. The only way Pixar can make a comeback is if The Incredibles 2 has Frozone as a lead character. That would be awesome!
  • Guy Ritchie made three successful movies featuring Sherlock Holmes and The Man From UNCLE. He is already back. It looks like he's specializing in period movies with anachronistic action and music, and the studios will happily have him churn out these popcorn flicks for the next decade or so. Its highly unlikely any of them cost enough to ever be a big flop and lose money, so he's probably got a long career ahead fm him now.
  • Arthurian legend has some hilarious stories, my favorite one being King Arthur getting huffy at the table and denying the other knights their dinner until they had an adventure. Said adventure was a cup covered in a cheese cloth being presented to the table before being taken away.
  • My favorite is the story of when Merlin and Arthur skip kitchen duty by having Merlin enchant the entire kitchen to clean itself then Merlin and Arthur go off and become Squirrels. Or was that when they became fish?
  • Here is an awesome short film (7min) that Guy Ritchie made in the early 2000s for some Volkswagen film project (they sponsored big directors to make short films featuring VWs). It stars Clive Owen and Madonna (Ritchie's wife), and is worth a watch for your Ritchie fix.

• OK I just rewatched it. I remember enjoying this in college. The car shots are nice but damn some of the acting is painful.
  • Matt said:

Here is an awesome short film (7min) that Guy Ritchie made in the early 2000s for some Volkswagen film project (they sponsored big directors to make short films featuring VWs). It stars Clive Owen and Madonna (Ritchie's wife), and is worth a watch for your Ritchie fix.

BMW, not Volkswagen, but close.

• You can tell I really don't pay attention to car marketing.