This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Games Scott Isn't Playing

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about games Scott isn't playing (since it's not gaming season for him), some thoughts on building a new gaming PC (both HT and regular), and the fallout of a Google Wallet argument from MAGFest. Pac-Man CE2 is coming, which may get Scott to game again. All of Nintendo Power is online for your enjoyment (including the most important issue ever).

Come see us live at PAX West 2016! Back us on Patreon! Read Oryx and Crake (by Thursday)!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I'll be proud if anyone recognizes the bit at the end for this one. It's not a weird Internet thing: it's an obscure cultural touchstone.
  • I'm not positive since I haven't seen the show in many years, but I'm guessing by the angry shouting of someone's number, the surreal-sounding 60's-ish sound effects, and the authoritarian British guy that it's from The Prisoner? Either way, I really should give that show a rewatch now that I'm old enough to understand it more.
  • Whenever you buy your HTPC let us know, I wanna see the part list, if you'd be so kind.
  • MrPeriod said:
    After watching that video, I got lost watching more of this type of video. It turns out there's a Smash variant.

• The 'protocol' may be the cause not the cure.

• Rym you should take Scott to the pool or Waterpark. That might help shake him out of his everything is meh attitude.
  • Rym you should take Scott to the pool or Waterpark. That might help shake him out of his everything is meh attitude.

That's not a bad idea. We have moneys. Let's take a day off and go splooosh.
  • Go big or go home. Let's fly to Cedar Point and Soak City.
  • Rym said:

Go big or go home. Let's fly to Cedar Point and Soak City.

Too much of a hassle to go there, and doesn't take just one day. I'm sure it's so great, but we can get more value for our time and money going to someplace closer.
  • I'm thinking unless we go in September over a long weekend, I want to plan a for-real trip there next summer.

Seriously, Cedar Point makes other coaster parks look like shit, and Soak City is one of the better water parks in the world.
  • Rym said:

I'm thinking unless we go in September over a long weekend, I want to plan a for-real trip there next summer.

Seriously, Cedar Point makes other coaster parks look like shit, and Soak City is one of the better water parks in the world.

There are plenty of parks which are much closer that have enough coasters, rides, and water action to fill an entire day. It will still be crazy fun to go there. It's not worth a flight on a plane, and at least one hotel night, and extra days of my life, just to go somewhere that has a few more rollercoasters that are a bit faster or taller. A 200' roller coaster is plenty fun. 300' is more fun. There is no denying it. But is it hundreds of dollars and an entire day more fun?
  • Definitely an entire day more fun. It probably takes 2-3 days of Cedar Point to experience all of the coasters.
  • I don't think Scott is meh just because he's not playing video games/board games during the summer. He's doing other things like photos and what not. That's cool.

And he's correct, PAX is coming up soon. Many a board gaming will be going on.
  • If Scott was playing Overwatch with his friends he'd be happier, you know how fun it is to play with friends especially ones you don't see every day LOTS OF FUN. Because of Overwatch I routinely get to talk with Chie, Ro, Lisa, James, Alex, Rym and many others.
  • Cremlian said:

If Scott was playing Overwatch with his friends he'd be happier, you know how fun it is to play with friends especially ones you don't see every day LOTS OF FUN. Because of Overwatch I routinely get to talk with Chie, Ro, Lisa, James, Alex, Rym and many others.

I am not in the mood for that kind of game.
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

If Scott was playing Overwatch with his friends he'd be happier, you know how fun it is to play with friends especially ones you don't see every day LOTS OF FUN. Because of Overwatch I routinely get to talk with Chie, Ro, Lisa, James, Alex, Rym and many others.

Not in the mood for the true successor to WF2, AQ2, TFC, MTF? ;)

The only thing missing there is Tribes 2.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

Not in the mood for the true successor to WF2, AQ2, TFC, MTF? ;)

The only thing missing there is Tribes 2.
    Also Rocket League, at least for the next week or two.

• Lucio Ball!!!!
  • I feel Scott's meh as well. Nothing is really gripping me right now.
  • The "Cedar Point is the only viable option" stance would be valid pretty much anywhere in the country, but considering you live striking distance from Six Flags Great Adventure, I've gotta side with Scott.

I don't blame you, since Cedar Point is your home turf. I don't think anyone would deny it's better (friends and I even felt it was worth doing a weekend road trip from NJ when we were in high school), but Great Adventure coaster selection is the closest "second best" you'll ever get.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

I'm thinking unless we go in September over a long weekend, I want to plan a for-real trip there next summer.

There are plenty of parks which are much closer that have enough coasters, rides, and water action to fill an entire day. It will still be crazy fun to go there. It's not worth a flight on a plane, and at least one hotel night, and extra days of my life, just to go somewhere that has a few more rollercoasters that are a bit faster or taller. A 200' roller coaster is plenty fun. 300' is more fun. There is no denying it. But is it hundreds of dollars and an entire day more fun?
    Y'all should come up next Thursday night, watch meteors, and then spend all day Friday at a fun-time park.
  • Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

Y'all should come up next Thursday night, watch meteors, and then spend all day Friday at a fun-time park.
    That's not impossible...
  • Apreche said:

Nuri said:

That's not impossible...
    I could get out of work...

• Serious invitation if you wanna have a casual visit. I'm just hoping it's not cloudy or raining.
  • You know how this works. We have a guest room and also other space.
  • You know how this works. We have a guest room and also other space.

The forecast for next weekend is mad rain, tho.
  • Apreche said:

You know how this works. We have a guest room and also other space.

The forecast for next weekend is mad rain, tho.
    They never know if it's going to be raining or not this far out. You guys are welcome to play it by ear; we don't need to know if you're coming until Thursday. Deciding whether to take Friday off in advance... well, that's a you problem. :P

• Eryn said:

I'm not positive since I haven't seen the show in many years, but I'm guessing by the angry shouting of someone's number, the surreal-sounding 60's-ish sound effects, and the authoritarian British guy that it's from The Prisoner? Either way, I really should give that show a rewatch now that I'm old enough to understand it more.

I concur. I This sounds like the last episode of The Prisoner, which I distinctly remember was rather incoherent and included a rendition of Dem Bones.
  • ITE: Old Man Scott is Old Man.