This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Specialized Peripherals

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about specialized input devices like drawing tablets and knobs. In other news, Sandy Hook's ferry has a weird problem, Delta's operations is crippled by bad IT, and Edward Snowden is not dead.

We're live at PAX West on Saturday! The GeekNights Book Club episode on Oryx and Crake is out! The next book club book will be Rebecca. We are on Patreon!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Just want to say. Rym really doesn't like the Steam Controller. I thought it was serviceable. That's because I pretty much just played Rocket League and some emulated games with it. I just tried to use it to play Dub Wars, which is a twin stick shooter. NO BUENO.
  • It works well for some things, but not all. Usually when I use it I go straight to the community profiles and choose the highest rated, which is usually winning by a landslide because that's how the controls should have been.
  • Wow, my HTPC couldn't play Dub Wars at full frames. I just really don't want to play it at my desk...
  • Apreche said:

Wow, my HTPC couldn't play Dub Wars at full frames. I just really don't want to play it at my desk...

You can't steamlink to your HTPC?
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

Wow, my HTPC couldn't play Dub Wars at full frames. I just really don't want to play it at my desk...

You can't steamlink to your HTPC?
    I actually tried that first. Even with wired gigabit, it wasn't good for such a fast game where music sync is so important. Also, it didn't render nicely at full screen 1080p.
  • Standard English should be taught wherever English is spoken; despite inevitable localised dialects/ elisions.

As for peripherals, at my old work place for 3D scanning we had a USB turntable that would rotate in increments, for automatic object scanning. I don't think it had an official drivers/ software. 100% of the time we'd rotate it manually.

Wacom tablets is definitely a necessity for Photoshop/ Lightroom, I have the small Bamboo. Really need a Cintiq. The Bamboos are now rebranded Intuos, which isn't a good idea, since they're still entry level products. The pressure sensitivity makes a big difference. Especially when you have fine control over pressure curves with the professional models.

The only other 'exotic' peripheral I have is a colorimeter, which I actually don't really need at the moment, since I don't have an IPS monitor. However using it confirmed for me which monitors where good/ bad. I ended up chucking out a bunch of monitors and defaulting to using my LED TV for photoshop work. The calibration also means my TV now uses it's best possible settings.

Professional monitors are likely to have built-in colorimeters, so it's kind of redundant now. Have no real use for it anymore.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Standard English should be taught wherever English is spoken; despite inevitable localised dialects/ elisions.

Why? Which one? American? Australian? British? And who's going to teach it? Nobody speaks any "Standard English" natively, and there aren't enough people who do speak it to teach everyone. And even if there were, English isn't like Arabic or Chinese where there is a single standard with local variation; there is no English standardization, and that's okay. Most people being taught English want to pass a test, mostly understand it, or speak it fluently in that order. And even being fluent doesn't require native-like pronunciation.
  • Ruffas said:

Why? Which one?

Why? Common understanding of pronunciation.

Which one? Standard English, the common ancestor of modern English.
  • The one that hasn't been spoken for hundreds of years?
  • There hasn't been a single standard English since the British started calling dibs on every bit of land without a flag, so the common ancestor you're talking about must be British English circa 1500. Or are you talking about British received pronunciation?
  • A mouse is a specialized peripheral for me.
  • As it happens, I already have the audiobook of the Fifth Season on my phone, ready to go. It's a pity that one isn't the next book club pick!
  • @Ruffas standard English, as taught in the video I linked to.
  • That's not standard English, the term you're looking for British Received Pronunciation, aka posh English.

There are many standard Englishes, as many as there are countries that speak English, and they are all taught in their respective countries. Standard American English is mostly based on how Midwestern people spoke in the early 1900s (see Walter Cronkite). Every other country that speaks English has their own mostly artificial prestige dialect.

Suggesting that everyone who learns English learn a variety that less than five percent of British people speak is not just unfeasible, it's not something that most English language learners want, and it's boring. Accents are fun! Everybody sounding the same so you don't have to suffer through "Could you say that again?" isn't worth it.
  • Sounds like the Jersey Parks Service is enforcing the protectionist Jones Act.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920
  • If you're into rhythm gaming, drawing tablets can also be used to play osu!
  • Yeah I think I'll audiobook Fifth Season too. Just powered through the Mistborn trilogy (loved it) and need more fantasy.
  • If you want to talk specialized peripherals, you could go down a rabbit hole with low-cost virtual instrumentation. Think of all your benchtop test equipment, scopes, meters, analyzers, power supplies, etc. Then strip most of the processing out of them and stick in a controller to receive commands via USB.
    Avi said:

Sounds like the Jersey Parks Service is enforcing the protectionist Jones Act.

Well I learned what cabotage means today. I still can't figure this one out. Literally less than 5 minutes from Sandy Hook, you can get on a ferry run by the same exact company, with a cheaper fare (and not have to pay national park entry fee), and have your choice of multiple destinations in NYC. The only explanation for someone trying to use it as standard transport is if they truly did have an emergency while on the beach, or if they are legitimately fucking batshit crazy.

• Avi said:

Sounds like the Jersey Parks Service is enforcing the protectionist Jones Act.

And now I wonder if a Planet Money reporter saw the same drama happen, since they just re-aired their episode covering this.

If the Jones act is the reason their doing it, but they've got ferries just up the road that run normally, the one that services Sandy Hook might not be US-built. Any way the people who ride it could find out?
  • The Fifth Season is really good so far.
  • Rym your put on Australian accent is terrible.
    People will understand what you're saying here more likely due to American TV shows being quite popular.

I can see why many Brits might think you can't speak the Queen's English, mainly because the majority have messed it up so poorly!

Cop exchange was an interesting thought of something that I had seen with firefighters in Australian exchanging with Californian firefighters.
  • sK0pe said:

Rym your put on Australian accent is terrible.
    People will understand what you're saying here more likely due to American TV shows being quite popular.

In cafes when I order breakfast, they invariable make me repeat myself several times.

• Rym said:

sK0pe said:

Rym your put on Australian accent is terrible.

In cafes when I order breakfast, they invariable make me repeat myself several times.

Maybe I've been listening to the podcast for too long lol.
  • Scott: what pays for the subway after everyone stops driving a car because taxes are punishments on the activity they are levied on?
  • Scott: what pays for the subway after everyone stops driving a car because taxes are punishments on the activity they are levied on?

At that point you can actually decrease subway service because empty roads allow for bicycling. Also, rich people. Want to live in that luxury tower? Get ready to pay.
  • Apreche said:

Scott: what pays for the subway after everyone stops driving a car because taxes are punishments on the activity they are levied on?

At that point you can actually decrease subway service because empty roads allow for bicycling. Also, rich people. Want to live in that luxury tower? Get ready to pay.
    Rich people will never be enough. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just every time something gets funded by a vice tax it eventually runs into problems because people stop participating in that vice.
  • edited August 2016

Apreche said:

Scott: what pays for the subway after everyone stops driving a car because taxes are punishments on the activity they are levied on?

Rich people will never be enough. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just every time something gets funded by a vice tax it eventually runs into problems because people stop participating in that vice.
    Rich people IS enough. I don't think you understand how much money the truly wealthy people, and corporations, are just holding onto. For example, the first part of the 2nd avenue subway will cost under $5 billion dollars. Chump change.

As of a year ago Apple computer has over $200 billion just in cash in the bank not doing anything. I see no reason not to tax that money at 90% or even 100%. Not hyperbole.

Sheldon Adelson, one of the most evil rich people around, is worth about $30 billion. Fuck him over, take 28 or 29 of those billions and he can still live in idle perfect luxury with the worlds most expensive cars and mansions until he dies (hopefully soon).
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Scott, biking is all well and good but winter exists.