This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steven Universe (and general Cartoon Network chat)

Comments

• ...and today's episode marks the end of season 3.

Tomorrow and Friday, the Steven Nuke concludes with the first two episodes of season 4. After that, premieres will return to a Thursday-only format.
  • Bubbled spoilers

I'm not convinced that Rose shattered Pink Diamond. If that were the case, Rose would have accepted Bismuths weapon and not bubbled up Bismuth like she did. It doesn't add up. There has got to be more going on with Pink Diamond's death.
  • Bubbled spoilers

I'm not convinced that Rose shattered Pink Diamond. If that were the case, Rose would have accepted Bismuths weapon and not bubbled up Bismuth like she did. It doesn't add up. There has got to be more going on with Pink Diamond's death.

Seriously.

What if Rose shattered Pink Diamond, but there was still a war to be won, prompting Bismuth to make the Breaking Point? Rose might have had a "never again" moment, causing her to reject Bismuth's weapon.
  • Bubbled spoilers

You missed the entire emphasis on guilt and doing things that contradict with your ideals for the greater good.

That's the reason the episode is centered around Eyeball attacking Steven despite his best attempt to befriend her, and then Steven's split second decision to damn Eyeball into drifting in space forever (which is infinitely worst than death in my opinion). It's meant to parallel what Rose did with Pink Diamond.
  • You guys are wrong. :p
  • It's one thing to accept that, to reach the entire goal of your rebellion you have to destroy the one individual who is in control, who stands in the way, and who would order your own destruction otherwise.

It's another to, when you have alternatives mind, destroy everyone who is simply part of the established system because it is either more efficient or more effective or because it might feel good and vengeful. At the very least that will just extend the conflict and harden the enemy's resolve.

Rose could accept that one life may free a planet. She can't accept wanton destruction of the enemy because "they're oppressive" as long as there was another way. Since they could be poofed and bubbled that was a better method than shattering and that's the way Rose wanted to handle them. For whatever reason, that must not have been possible with the Diamond.

Parallels could be drawn to Danerys choosing to destroy a leader of the slaver regime and then expect the others to leave or join her, knowing that more violence would only beget more violence; but also knowing that a decisive end of the leader was needed to sever the head of the snake, so to speak (oh shi... sneeple!) and in theory prevent the other side from continuing on with a deposed leader.

Whether its right or wrong, one can clearly see the line between Rose and Bismuth's motivations. Rose did the minimum damage and made strategic goals consistent with that.

Also how much air pressure was in that Moon Base to launch something to the moon's escape velocity?

• Daikun said:
    What bothered me was that she was getting harassed for "making lapidot canon" and for "not making it canon enough", because obviously the episode wasn't something done ages ago and didn't meet the approval of the rest of the crew. Man the SU fandom can attract some pretty garbage people.

Now I'm imagining a beautiful trubbish. :lol:
  • Okay, that episode hit too close to home.
  • Nanefua likes to read the Brigand series.
  • Okay, that episode hit too close to home.

I think it did for A LOT of people in many different ways.
  • edited August 2016
    Rochelle said:

Okay, that episode hit too close to home.

I think it did for A LOT of people in many different ways.
    We all carry weight.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Boy, you gotta carry that weight
    Carry that weight a long time...
  • Well, tonight they actually did it. The absolute madwomen.
  • edited September 2016
    Wait. Mike Krol is a real person?! It wasn't just a clever reference to David Grohl?! What the fuck?

Also, I feel like they're referencing a movie with the style of the ending credits. Anyone know what movie? My brain is saying Scott Pilgrim, but I know that movie is referencing others so...

Edit: NVM. It's FLCL.
  • Well that was quality television; 10/10, would watch pearl awkwardly hit on random woman again.
  • edited September 2016
    Watching it as a family, my dad tried very hard to convince someone that the mystery woman gave pearl her phone number platonically and how gems cant be gay because they only have one gender. I say "someone" but I mean my 11 year old brother who promptly said "oh my god! She's homosexual!" and was very excited for Pearl.
  • C'mon Pearl, you can totes drink a juice.
  • You go Bird Mom!
  • That episode was so fluffy it made me really happy. The facial expressions were absolutely on point and super adorable.

Steven was absolutely relentless on it though, holy shit.
  • Edit: NVM. It's FLCL.

Other than the stylistic similarity of the music for this episode, I don't remember a sequence like that in FLCL. Or was that what you were referring to?
  • edited September 2016
    Just watched.

*Spittake*
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited September 2016
    pence said:

Edit: NVM. It's FLCL.

Other than the stylistic similarity of the music for this episode, I don't remember a sequence like that in FLCL. Or was that what you were referring to?
    Yeah, it was really the music that was ringing the bells in my head. Though I am still wondering about the ending sequence.

Just watched.
    *Spittake*

Hm?
  • edited September 2016
    I was amazed at Perle's willingness to break out of her shell at all.

I also loved her "I've been a criminal for 6000 years" line, and Steven's "never been so scared since you almost killed me!" comment.

Side note, while the music gave me a FLCL vibe, I kept thinking about Riding Bean and Gunsmith Cats during the car chase.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • If Riding Bean is like Gunsmith Cats, I'd better watch Riding Bean.