This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Anyone interested in going to Bitgen this Saturday? They have a good lineup around 7ish and aiming to see the good stuff then heading out.
  • Any thoughts on Bitnation?
  • Two part question:

1) Does anyone have a MSDN and can part with one Windows 10 Pro 64 bit license?

2) If 1 is not answered what is the most reliable source of getting keys for Win 10 that is legitimate?
  • I'm getting a Timbuk2 bag. Does anyone have any strong opinions as to which model or fabric is best?

This is what I'm thinking of getting: http://www.timbuk2.com/commute-tsa-ipad-laptop-messenger-bag/208-4-2628.html
  • Wyatt said:

I'm getting a Timbuk2 bag. Does anyone have any strong opinions as to which model or fabric is best?

This is what I'm thinking of getting: http://www.timbuk2.com/commute-tsa-ipad-laptop-messenger-bag/208-4-2628.html

I just replaced the one I had for 10 years. Protip: if you send in your old one for recycling, you get a discount on the new one.

I went full custom this time, just like last time. Why get a lame-o mass produced one when you can get one that's unique to you!
  • edited August 2016
    I'm working on some game rules, and I have a math question I can't easily solve.

Let's say you have 7 cards numbered 1 through 7. You have two players. You split the cards between the two players. It is possible to split them in such a way that both players have the same total number when adding their cards together.

1 + 2 + 4 + 7 = 14
    3 + 5 + 6 = 14

Is it possible to do this with the numbers 1 through 21? If so, how? If not, what is the closest to even that can be achieved?

Also: is it possible with 4 players instead of 2?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I did it by cheating and using 1 twice.

1 + 2 + 6 + 7 + 9 + 10 + 12 + 13 + 17 + 18 + 21 = 116
    1 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 8 + 11 + 14 + 15 + 16 + 19 + 20 = 116

• Naoza said:

Keep your freezer warmer? It should retard the sublimation.

... What? I would imagine sublimation decreases the cooler you get.
  • I don't know enough about physics to know the optimal temperature for sublimation to occur in water. I just assumed it had an inverse relationship with temperature.
  • Based on this paper about water on the moon it looks like higher temperatures have more sublimation.
  • Apreche said:

I did it by cheating and using 1 twice.

1 + 2 + 6 + 7 + 9 + 10 + 12 + 13 + 17 + 18 + 21 = 116
    1 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 8 + 11 + 14 + 15 + 16 + 19 + 20 = 116

If you want a slightly more consistent pattern, snake the numbers from left to right (I can't think of a better way to describe it).

1+3+4+7+8+11+12+15+16+19+20=116
    1+2+5+6+9+10+13+14+17+18+21=116

Or if you want to minimize the large gaps between numbers (like 12->15) give one side the low value odds and the other side the high value odds.

1+2+4+6+8+10+13+15+17+19+21=116
    1+3+5+7+9+11+12+14+16+18+20=116
  • Not knowing what the cards do, is there a possibility of replacing one of the value 1 cards with a value 0 card that has an alternate utility?
  • UncleUlty said:

Not knowing what the cards do, is there a possibility of replacing one of the value 1 cards with a value 0 card that has an alternate utility?

Nice idea, but then there would be 22 cards, which wouldn't work.
  • Naoza said:

I don't know enough about physics to know the optimal temperature for sublimation to occur in water. I just assumed it had an inverse relationship with temperature.

Likely a direct relationship, I think. If you've got an ice cube at, say, 30° F, it won't melt:

But "an ice cube" isn't one object with one temperature, it's a ton of water molecules with a distribution of energies:
    The molecules with enough energy will fly away - that's sublimation.

If you make it colder, a smaller fraction of molecules will have enough energy to bust out:

Unless there's some spooky physics I'm forgetting, I would assume colder = slower sublimation.
  • If it's really a bell curve like that you would assume it would take a very long time for the cube to sublimate 100%. However, cubes in my freezer disappear completely over time, and the freezer is well below 0C.
  • It loses x% of its mass and eventually comes back into thermal equilibrium with the freezer. Now the distribution is the same shape, just smaller.

Net effect is it has a half life, and decays until it turns into a speck.
  • How rapidly any substance sublimates not only depends on the temperature, but the ambient amount of it in the atmosphere. Is your freezer/apartment abnormally dry?
  • GreyHuge said:

How rapidly any substance sublimates not only depends on the temperature, but the ambient amount of it in the atmosphere. Is your freezer/apartment abnormally dry?

Definitely not with this 200-% humidity weather.
  • Does anyone have a smart lock for their house or apartment? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting one for my house. Do I need it? No but I think it's cool. I've read articles about how intruders can pick a smart lock. Anyone wanting to get into my house will eventually. I'm pretty sure it's just as easy to pick a regular lock or smash a window.
    Apreche said:

If it's really a bell curve like that you would assume it would take a very long time for the cube to sublimate 100%. However, cubes in my freezer disappear completely over time, and the freezer is well below 0C.

Your fridge probably has an automatic defrost cycle. It's stealing your ice cubes as a side effect of preventing it from frosting over: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-defrost
  • Wyatt said:

Does anyone have a smart lock for their house or apartment? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting one for my house. Do I need it? No but I think it's cool. I've read articles about how intruders can pick a smart lock. Anyone wanting to get into my house will eventually. I'm pretty sure it's just as easy to pick a regular lock or smash a window.

Personally I wouldn't, but your house, man. I hear Kwikset and Schlage make the best offerings.
  • Starfox said:

It loses x% of its mass and eventually comes back into thermal equilibrium with the freezer. Now the distribution is the same shape, just smaller.

Net effect is it has a half life, and decays until it turns into a speck.

If sublimation only occurs at the surface (which I'd assume but I don't know if this is true) and the walls of the ice cube tray are almost vertical, then you'd have the same exposed surface area as the ice cube disappeared, so you might have roughly linear decay for a while.
  • Will they just make a subreddit for everything?

Maybe this is common but I have very limited interactions with Reddit since I hate basically everything about it.
  • MATATAT said:

Will they just make a subreddit for everything?

Maybe this is common but I have very limited interactions with Reddit since I hate basically everything about it.

Reddit is great when you unsub from all default/evil subs and only go to the niche ones related to you.
  • Reddit is great when you don't use it.
  • Yeah, except I'm subbed to r/advancewars and it didn't tell me about Warbits! Geez.
  • edited August 2016
    Starfox said:

Yeah, except I'm subbed to r/advancewars and it didn't tell me about Warbits! Geez.

I didn't know there was /r/advancewars. I wonder what other subreddits I should be in, but am not in.

EDIT: Warbits is the fourth post on that subreddit.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah, it never made it to my front page. Guess I'm also subbed to too much other junk.
  • MATATAT said:

Because anyone can make any subreddit the answer is yes.

Once made up a subreddit for a sake of joke or argument, don't remember which. And about two seconds later the subreddit came to being.
  • MATATAT said:

Pretty much. See also /r/GoneWilder (SFW) /r/IsJewBoyMarriedYet and /r/ggggg. Hell, there's even /r/ShitFRCFSays. /r/BarleyLegal (that's the most dangerous "e" you've ever seen) is good tho a sex bot managed to get in apparently.