This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

LARP discussions

Hey there everyone! I couldn't really find a thread on this particular topic, and considering it is my favorite hobby, and I'm curious as to how many more larpers are here, I'd like to open it up. I play Alliance and used to play NERO. Usually playing a celestial scholar (Think your average mage.) If any of you attend events or chapters of any larps or if you just have a cool backstory or event story, would love to hear it!

Comments

• I never did larping. The closest I got was Belegarth. But that focused more on the combat. There wasn't really any actual role playing.
  • My friend actually mentioned Belegarth. He wants us to go to a fighting practice. I'm more a of a fantasy roleplayer so I didn't know what to expect. The fights are fun and all, but playing a character is why I go. Though looking at the link it looks like fun. Mostly because shield bashing is normally never allowed.
  • I work for the Freedom Trail Foundation in Boston, which is essentially a LARP troupe that found a business model. The part I'm in doesn't require any specific character, but the tour guides are all based on real people from the 18th century, and will banter with each other when their tours run into one another.

I don't know if I'd like it with a game attached to it but it's super fun and you make money for it.
  • Nuri and I are in the SCA. Not really a LARP, but there's a lot of common ground. I've fought with a number of folks who do Amtgard, Belegarth, and Dagorhir.
  • I larped quite a lot when I was younger. Mostly short one-day larps, I've slept in game maybe once or twice only. Even wrote few larps of varying quality. After moving from my old town the hobby kinda stayed behind. Went into one game of my friends making and have been in few semi-larp-jeepform games, but not much more.
  • The last LARP I actually participated in was Luke Crane's Inheritance a few years back. Simple rules, tons of characters, real tears.

• edited August 2016
    I actually counted Inheritance, into those jeepformish/larpish games. But don't ask me to define what jeepform is, as I can't give a concrete answer. I just feel that the way how in Inheritance GM sets and moves scenes in few times kinda separates it from larps where time flows naturally as it goes. Also shortness, though that's part of con-larps generally.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • I thought it was a Nordic LARP, which is still LARP.
  • edited August 2016
    I larped a bit in College always played Human hunters in Werewolf and Vampire larps, I had some good times. Rochester was a hotbed of Larp activity. Oh I also played a custom D&D larp as well, almost forgot about that!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • It is way more Nordic than average American larp, based on my stereotypical image of what larping in US is like. But compared to what I'm used seeing the way GM sets and ends scenes in Inheritance was different as was the rules for secretly listening which kinda go against the traditional "what you see is what you get" -attitude that I'm used of where someone begin hidden in plain sight is more of a rarity than common rule.

But maybe it's best to not twist the thread up too much with trying to vaguely define terms. Unless someone finds it interesting or useful.
  • I know a number of people who argue for more precise language in the community. Some LARPs (Amtgard and Belegarth more explicitly) are more accurately described as "Battle Games," because the focus is on a boffer combat game.
  • I helped run a Vampire: The Masqurade LARP up in Ipswich for a while. It was pretty fun! I got to ham it up as an Ancient, and part of my job was to pull Machiavellian bullshit if things were moving too slow - being too "powerful" for players to actually move against, it forced them to move against my unwitting proxies. Which was basically everyone, which made for some brilliantly entertaining chaos of schemes within schemes within schemes.
  • I suspect that, for the majority of English speakers in the world, the word LARP means nothing.

The next most common definition is probably "people fantasy fighting with foam weapons."

Way below either of those is the debate we're about to have.
  • I love the whole idea of LARPs, but I swear to all the Lovecraftian Elder Gods I'll never, EVER take part in another organized White Wolf LARP again, it was a wretched hive of misfit toxic players and gross slutty people.
  • I love the whole idea of LARPs, but I swear to all the Lovecraftian Elder Gods I'll never, EVER take part in another organized White Wolf LARP again, it was a wretched hive of misfit toxic players and gross slutty people.

Now you know why I always played hunters in those games :-p
  • What's a White Wolf LARP? I've never heard of it. And I'd say belegarth is still a larp. Same for SCA. You're putting yourself elsewhere. Though I've never done anything like a vampire larp before.
  • I imagine it's the same as other but staged in the white wolf universe (see: World of Darkness aka more vampires)

This group was pretty good, mostly because the organizers were a)Not shitty, and b)willing to kick anyone the fuck out at the first sign of being toxic(which they did, on a few occasions). Since it was also partially in a public space, conduct rules were enforced, which cut down the non-toxic, but still gross people.

What's a White Wolf LARP?

It's the overall term for any of the games put out by White Wolf Publishing. They've got a half-dozen titles under the same system, usually with first word in the title being the supernatural creature it focuses on - Vampire, Warewolf, Mage, Changeling, Wraith, Hunter, etc.

• Rym said:

I suspect that, for the majority of English speakers in the world, the word LARP means nothing.

When someone who is not a geek asks how I met my husband, I can't really say "at a Werewolf LARP" and have them know what I mean. Usually, I just say "in college" which is technically true.

• A university club for acting and the study of games.
  • Rym said:

A university club for acting and the study of games.

Also: a weird, kinda greasy sex club.

• Rym said:

A university club for acting and the study of games.

Also: a weird, kinda greasy sex club.

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue so much as stick to it.
  • Also: a weird, kinda greasy sex club.

Not for me, really. I avoided that nonsense.

• Knew I should have gone to college...