This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Warbits: A Post Mortem

Tonight on GeekNights, we dissect and discuss the fascinating story of how Warbits was made. Scott GeekBites Dubwars, and the time is ripe for video card buying. An instance of our Atari Game Design lecture from PAX East is on youtube!

Support GeekNights on Patreon! Or buy our Tshirt! Come see us at PAX West!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• MrPeriod said:
    ADVANCE WARS MOBILE??
  • Basically.
  • Oh that Subway Hero video was magnificent and cathartic.
  • You have apt timing for the HTPC buying.

• edited August 2016
    That might work. It's less than six inches tall. I'll check it out at pax.

Whoa. Look at all those video outputs. That could be great for streaming. 980, though. How new is this? Is there a 1070 model? Not that 980 isn't way overkill for HTPC to begin with.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I can pretty much guarantee that Dub Wars will be a hit with me. Now just need to go buy it.
  • Rym said:

Basically.

TL;DL - do I need to buy this?
  • Starfox said:

Rym said:

Basically.

If you've got an iOS device. iPad is better.
  • Dub Wars is out for iOS? Nice.

I just watched Penny Arcade's First 15 about it, and they lost their shit.

• okeefe said:

Dub Wars is out for iOS? Nice.

I just watched Penny Arcade's First 15 about it, and they lost their shit.

Wait, Dubwars is for iOS? I had no idea. I thought it was Steam only.
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Rym said:

Basically.

iPhone SE? It's got the smallest of screens.

I really want to Advance my Wars though.
  • Starfox said:

Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Rym said:

Basically.

iPhone SE? It's got the smallest of screens.

I really want to Advance my Wars though.
    Go for it.
  • It doesn't matter what you buy it for. It's "crossbuy".
  • I really want to make an Advance Wars clone called Complicated Conflicts now.
  • I bought for the fun of it.
  • Re: Patreon backers

Rochelle Mantanonararara?

WTF? Who is that? That wasn't me.
  • That was definitely not you. ;)
  • An imposter! Or sarcastic fan.

• The same slot that used to be the second "Chris Reimer and Thomas Hahn"
  • Game mechanics aren't copyrightable, right? So you could make the same exact game with a new skin.

I know people do it all the time, but are they just skating the law or is it actually legal?
  • Starfox said:

Game mechanics aren't copyrightable, right? So you could make the same exact game with a new skin.

I know people do it all the time, but are they just skating the law or is it actually legal?

Why wouldn't it be legal? Can you just imagine the sheer clusterfuck copyrightable game mechanics would cause? An immense number of suits over minutiae. It would be exactly like the giant mountain of inane smartphone patent lawsuits.
  • Starfox said:

Game mechanics aren't copyrightable, right? So you could make the same exact game with a new skin.

Totally legal. Game mechanics and rules are specifically not subject to copyright.
  • Rochelle said:

Re: Patreon backers

Rochelle Mantanonararara?

WTF? Who is that? That wasn't me.

That was me, the original Rym Eats Poop.

My single quest in life is to cause Rym a moment of confusion or surprise and break his cadence. I previously changed it to an exact Rochelle Montanona a few months back to see if a duplicate name would be a surprise. This past time I switched to.... Rorchelle Marntarnorner. Because fuck that is hard to pronounce, especially if you just read it without the Rs 5 seconds ago.

It didn't quite work. He kinda flubbed it and skipped. Will try again next week.

• They got the subway dick-rubbing guy. I was correct: he's young at 23 years old. He's also mentally challenged and does this habitually.

http://gothamist.com/2016/08/25/subway_jerkoff_collared.php
    A police source tells Gothamist, "He's a developmentally delayed kid who got locked up last year for the same thing in the Bronx."

However, Cuffe insists he's innocent. He spoke with the Daily News and claimed he wasn't masturbating in the August 15 video, "I was just looking at her and then she just started yelling at me, cursing me out. She kicked me off the train." Cuffe wasn't aware of the December video, claiming, "I don’t think I did it that time, either. I just want to see the video."