This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

TV Logs

In this thread, log what TV/movies/video you watched each day. Watching something at work doesn't count. That's time savings. We're counting time outside of work you could have spent living your life, but spent on the couch or in front of the computer watching something instead.

Sunday 8/21/2016 - Today I watched an 8 minute YouTube Video that showed up in my subscription feed while I ate breakfast.

Comments

• Sunday 8/21/2016 - Finished Star Trek voyager (last three episodes). I can't believe they ended the show with the largest Deus Ex Machinae EVER
  • edited August 2016
    Hey, uhh, listen. Can we do this in, like, a shared spreadsheet or database or something? Also, do any of you mind if I show that to my friend Neilsen. They'd- I MEAN he'd be really interested...

In all seriousness, though: Why?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Why not? MyEpisodes tells me I've spent 6 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes watching TV shows though that's counting by airtime with ads so its probably more like 4 months.
  • I watched a 5-hour live stream of Thomas Was Alone on Twitch.

That was pretty much it for my day.
  • Apreche said:

We're counting time outside of work you could have spent living your life, but spent on the couch or in front of the computer watching something instead.

That is some serious sweeping generalization bullshit you got going there.

I normally watch stuff to de-stress, relax after spending all day in front of a computer working.

This morning I woke up around 2:30 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I went to the living room to watch Warrior with my cats cuddling with me. That's quality time spent, imo.

Yesterday, Jeremy and I finished Season 2 of Daredevil. Very high quality couple hanging out time.

Also, I tend to craft while watching whatever, so my time watching shit NOT GOING OUTSIDE is still productive. GG, Scott. Way to keep on Rubining.
  • Does it count if I watch something while I'm sweeping or mopping? How about if we watch something while we're eating dinner?

What if I watch a movie or a TV show on a long flight or train ride? Does that count?
  • I pay 100% attention to everything that I do. If you aren't giving something your full undivided attention, you aren't watching it. I think this is perhaps one of the hidden powers of books (non-audio). You literally can not read a book and do something else at the same time. Also, it might be one of the reasons I don't like a lot of the crap so many others do. If you actually gave those shitty TV shows your full attention you might see they aren't worth sacrificing the time it takes to watch them. They're only worth watching as background noise, i.e.: not at all.

And yes, I never even attempted to disguise it. This is just a way for me to demonstrate how much of a better person I am by quantifying just how little time I dedicate to consuming media compared to everyone else here. Yes, I am judging everyone for couch-potatoing too much. It's not a good thing!

However, this is just retaliation for all the people trying to say I hate everything, or that I refuse to watch anything, etc. Don't try to put shame on me when you are the ones who should be feeling the shame. Instead of asking why I watch so little, you should all be asking yourselves why you watch so much!
  • The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
  • MRW: Scott is judging me and my lifestyle because I'm not living my life like he is:

• Then how come you waste your time reading all that pointless fiction while I read primarily nonfiction, thereby educating myself?
  • edited August 2016
    Apreche said:

If you aren't giving something your full undivided attention, you aren't watching it.

Bullshit, Scott.
    Apreche said:

You literally can not read a book and do something else at the same time.

Maybe you can't, but I can workout on a stationary machine while reading, monitor the laundry while reading, babysit a child while reading, etc.
    Apreche said:

Also, it might be one of the reasons I don't like a lot of the crap so many others do. If you actually gave those shitty TV shows your full attention you might see they aren't worth sacrificing the time it takes to watch them. They're only worth watching as background noise, i.e.: not at all.

If someone is getting something done while listening/watching a show, there is no sacrifice of time. It is no different than listening to music or an audio-book while working. What you deem to be "shit" may be exactly what someone else enjoys. Moreover, they may partially enjoy it because it is light entertainment that can keep them productive while doing a mundane task. Further, they may be re-watching films/shows they've already seen before and, thus, do not need to give the media their undivided attention.

Those Korean variety shows you enjoy so much are actually great media to consume while doing something else. If you need to leave the room or look away from the screen, you do not miss anything beyond an entirely miss-able joke/situation. The fact that you like to watch it with rapt attention is equally valid to someone watching it as they do something else.

I know for a fact that you listen to music when doing other tasks sometimes. Just because TV/movies aren't your preferred media for background entertainment doesn't mean it isn't a valid option for others. Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable for all of humanity.
    Apreche said:

And yes, I never even attempted to disguise it. This is just a way for me to demonstrate how much of a better person I am by quantifying just how little time I dedicate to consuming media compared to everyone else here. Yes, I am judging everyone for couch-potatoing too much. It's not a good thing!

My friend, please get over yourself.

One, couch-potatoing implies that people aren't being productive. That isn't what is being discussed. Two, we all have limited time in this life and uncountable variables of what informs what we want in/from life and what we, individually, value. Your choice to eschew shows/movies/books, but instead spend hours playing games is no better or worse. It is just different.
    Apreche said:

However, this is just retaliation for all the people trying to say I hate everything, or that I refuse to watch anything, etc. Don't try to put shame on me when you are the ones who should be feeling the shame. Instead of asking why I watch so little, you should all be asking yourselves why you watch so much!

Personally, I do not care what you do/do not watch. In some ways, you are the anti-Scojo insofar as media consumption is concerned. That's fine! Be picky. You do you. If you feel shamed or insulted there are healthy, productive ways to express that such that people will hear it and take it seriously. However, you needn't be a sanctimonious, self-righteous, insulting, and somewhat hypocritical ass while doing that.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Every time Scott tries to lord himself over others I remember he can't do a push-up and chuckle.
  • edited August 2016
    I love Kate.

My janky image ready skills.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited August 2016
    Apreche said:

If you aren't giving something your full undivided attention, you aren't watching it.

I'm currently re-"watching" (not by Scott's definition) The man who punches once, and occasionally it'll get all motivational anime on me and I'll just put my tablet on the floor and do push-ups while watching. I'll then take my tablet to the kitchen and get some water and a snack, never pausing and just generally continue about my life for that half hour, some squats, can't comfortably watch and sit-up though.

I'm intentionally not logging this as it's not got my undivided attention. This is, apparently true of everything I watch, as even cuddling the girlfriend doesn't let me focus completely on the media I'm consuming.

By this standard, I'm gonna come out 8 minutes ahead of Scott on media consumed if he doesn't watch another thing all week as he apparently watched a youtube video with all his might in the first post.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Glad I subbed sitting in one place playing Overwatch for TV watching and running on my treadmill. I can feel superior.
  • I think part of the reason Scott feels this way is that he assumes the collective consumption of media of all of us reflects the consumption of any one of us.

The venn diagram is pretty space, but for whatever reasons Scott's doesn't overlap with anyone else's much.
  • edited August 2016
    I take Scott at his word that this is in reaction to others making comments about what he chooses/declines to watch.

Scott, I don't recall ragging on you for what you do/don't watch. If I have, I sincerely apologize.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I take Scott at his word that this is in reaction to other's making comments about what he chooses/declines to watch.

Scott, I don't specifically recall ragging on you for what you do/don't watch. If I have, I sincerely apologize.

I'm don't remember who did or did not, which is why I'm retaliating with some AoE.
  • I only rag on him when he has broad and hard opinions about things he hasn't seen enough to comment on. Like, say, THE ENTIRE STATE OF COMEDY CINEMA POST-2000.
  • Rym said:

I only rag on him when he has broad and hard opinions about things he hasn't seen enough to comment on. Like, say, THE ENTIRE STATE OF COMEDY CINEMA POST-2000.

Yeah. There is a big difference between noting that, on the face of it, a given piece/genre/style of media does not immediately appeal to one's taste and creating a fully formed, detailed opinion about such media based solely on snippets, trailers, reviews, and hearsay. This distinction is not something Scott has ever been able/willing to make.
  • edited August 2016
    Lol, I watch TV while I do dishes & other chores, exercise indoors, cook food, and eat food. And I'm actually paying attention. I read books while I'm walking somwhere, or waiting for things. And I'm actually paying attention. And then, I go hike the AT, and read my Kindle or watch something on my phone while cooking dinner by a campfire I made. And I can do push-ups. My choices are fine.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • My choices are fine.

F*** yeah, they are!

• I wish I could watch things and do other things at the same time. Stupid ADHD. >_<
  • There's actually some studies (By which I mean "one thing I saw sourced on the "Doodling" wikipedia page) that say that having light distractions (An easily ignored TV show/podcast, doodling, etc.) can actually improve memory and focus by splitting the brain's attention, thus preventing it from spending it's entirety daydreaming.
  • I despise the concept of background noise and will easily admit to being a bad multithreader on most things (more of a multi programmer). Although I jokingly refer to TV as mindless pleasure, I enjoy shows best when they require full engagement. Thankfully, doing boring chores requires very few cycles.
  • My life has primarily been taken over by Cat TV. It's a finite number of seasons, but man are they entertaining.
  • Most time I spend on the couch is almost entirely cuddles time with Chris. Honestly the majority of my free time is spent sleeping cause I really need 8 hours every night so I don't have a lot of time everyday that isn't work related.
  • edited August 2016
    I agree with most everyone's sentiments here, especially Ro's and Kate's.

If you're living with a significant other, coming back home from work to share a TV show or movie can be exactly what you need to de-stress while strengthening your bond. Every YouTube video, TV show, or movie shared with your significant other can become a small talking point, or just another precious moment you share with that special someone. I would definitely count that as "living your life."

Also, whenever I'm alone doing a menial activity, I like to have a TV show or podcast playing in the background, since it drowns out the existential dread one might experience during the silence of loneliness.

Post edited by VentureJ on
  • It'd be nice to have the luxury to be able to watch stuff while I work.
  • It'd be nice to have the luxury to be able to watch stuff while I work.

Ditto. Can't exactly write scripts, edit audio/video, or read while watching TV. Unless you count "watching" the Music Choice channels but, then, really?