This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFest 2017

Comments

• We in there baby!
  • Tweet from @MAGFest:

Good news! We have added new hotel blocks! Book them ASAP and add yourself to the mailing list to get first dibs! magfest.org/bookhotel
  • Badges are selling like crazy! They have sold more tickets in a week than as they did in two months last year!
  • Next year is the end year for easy availability of badges.

Remember: PAX East is over-demanded by a factor of up to 10. If 30,000 people did go to PAX, 300,000 likely wanted to or even tried.

MAGFest is about as good as PAX East (just different), so it's easy to assume that if more people know about it, the same thing will happen. There are some 50MM people within easy driving distance of MAGFest.
  • Late to this party as well, why have I not been going to magfest for years?
  • Naoza said:

Late to this party as well, why have I not been going to magfest for years?

People like you are why badges will be impossible to get forever now. ;)

PAX and MAGFest are both cons we ignored in their early years, and then upon actually deciding to go deeply regretted not being there previously.

PAX? When there was only one? I booked a hotel once a couple weeks before the con. Badges were sold AT THE DOOR.

• What's the new magfest?
  • WashingCon!

• Andrew said:

What's the new magfest?

GeekNights Con NYC
  • Anywhere I can go, play tabletop games for 12 hours straight, Sexy Parodius, and DDR without taking my pajamas off.
  • pence said:

Anywhere I can go, play tabletop games for 12 hours straight, Sexy Parodius, and DDR without taking my pajamas off.

Scojo's basement.
  • Andrew said:

What's the new magfest?

MAGWest is the plan where MAGFest has other events in the year to make up for not owning a town.
  • GeekNights Con NYC, I will be at year one. I have 0 staff experience but I'm a sysadmin and will volunteer my time doing that or something more menial if it means another good con to go to.
  • Am experienced Enforcer, would donate significant time and money to the first GeekNightsCon to make it a success.
  • I'm actively, albeit slowly, working on the con.

After PAX, I'll be working a lot harder on it.

Possible for Feb 2017. More likely Feb 2018.
  • edited August 2016
    Btw if people like me are the problem, then people like me are also the solution to a different problem. I was planning on going to otakon this year, however I went to my first MAGFest last year, and then otakon last year. I immediately stopped attending otakon once I learned MAGFest was my jam and otakon really wasn't. Hell I'm looking into if PAX South is feasible. Like I've seen through the matrix, and if more people do that. We are in for good things.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Rym said:

I'm actively, albeit slowly, working on the con.

Gurl, hit me up if you need some grade A administration and general getting things done. ^_^

• Naoza said:

Btw if people like me are the problem, then people like me are also the solution to a different problem. I was planning on going to otakon this year, however I went to my first MAGFest last year, and then otakon last year. I immediately stopped attending otakon once I learned MAGFest was my jam and otakon really wasn't. Hell I'm looking into if PAX South is feasible. Like I've seen through the matrix, and if more people do that. We are in for good things.

Good things being horrible lines and impossible hotel/ticket rush for my favorite cons? Also...

ALL THESE CONS
    ARE YOURS EXCEPT
    PAX SOUTH
    ATTEMPT NO
    LANDING THERE
    USE THEM TOGETHER
    USE THEM IN PEACE
  • Andrew said:

Naoza said:

Good things being horrible lines and impossible hotel/ticket rush for my favorite cons?
    Can't argue that we're also the cause of that problem but I imagine people like me en masse abandoning amateur hour anime cons for real cons might drag the general quality of cons up.
  • ALL THESE CONS
    ARE YOURS EXCEPT
    GENCON
    ATTEMPT NO
    VISIT THERE
  • MAGCondo 2017 is go. This year it's $170 per person.
  • If I was traveling alone, I'd be like, all over this (if you'd have me: a mostly random stranger who hangs out on FRC forums) however I've already got a room and am traveling with my girlfriend who doesn't hang out on FRC forums.
  • Naoza said:

If I was traveling alone, I'd be like, all over this (if you'd have me: a mostly random stranger who hangs out on FRC forums) however I've already got a room and am traveling with my girlfriend who doesn't hang out on FRC forums.

No worries, I'm hoping for a lot of repeat business this year.
  • Raithnor said:

Naoza said:

If I was traveling alone, I'd be like, all over this (if you'd have me: a mostly random stranger who hangs out on FRC forums) however I've already got a room and am traveling with my girlfriend who doesn't hang out on FRC forums.

No worries, I'm hoping for a lot of repeat business this year.
    Count me and Yuyuke in. Also, hit me up if there's 2 spaces left.
  • Neito,

Right now the list is: Me, Coldguy, You, Yuyuke

Definitely have space for 2 more, Charles isn't coming back this year since he has a paid convention at the same time.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2016
    Oh man, I'm hype for MAG now and it's many many months away...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

I feel like this from the day after MAGfest until the first day of the following MAGfest.
  • Anyone been to any of MAG's auxiliary events? Will they address the MAG withdrawls I'm currently feeling?
  • edited August 2016

Rym said:

I feel like this from the day after MAGfest until the first day of the following MAGfest.
    Right! I feel the same way. That's just probably the sheer amount of Crew hanging out that happens. That and we always have awesome home like rooms.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited August 2016
    I had a really fun time at the mag condo last year, but I have to decline this year. Unlike last year all my friends wanted to come this year, and thanks to this forum and my understanding boss I was able to get 2 rooms for the 7 of us.
    Seriously, thanks for the heads up on the rooms because it basically fell on me to get them this year.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on