This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Movie night. Which of these animated movies should I watch first? (I have seen only the first one but long enough ago that I remember almost nothing of it)

• Spirited Away
    • Zootopia
    • The Boy and the Beast
    • Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs
    • Pirates in an Adventure with Scientists
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • The first one followed by the second one.
  • The first one twice.
  • okeefe said:

The first one followed by the second one.

• Is it legal to non-fatally shoot someone (like, in the leg or arm) if they consent to it?
  • Is it legal to non-fatally shoot someone (like, in the leg or arm) if they consent to it?

In most places, the act of firing the gun itself ends up being the crime, regardless of the intent or consent thereby.
  • Rym said:

Is it legal to non-fatally shoot someone (like, in the leg or arm) if they consent to it?

In most places, the act of firing the gun itself ends up being the crime, regardless of the intent or consent thereby.
    Basically, but only enforced when someone complains or is injured.
  • Is there a difference between Violet Crumble and Crunchie? Last time I had either I felt like they were pretty different despite being effectively the same thing. Crunchie seemed to have the better chocolate coating.

Also, it can be surprisingly difficult to non-fatally shoot somebody.

Also, it can be surprisingly difficult to fatally shoot somebody sometimes.

The human body is weird.
  • People take spikea through the head and live and other people get a hickie from their girlfriend and die hours later. Human body is weird indeed. Equally surprised we dont live to 200 and that any of us make it past 30.
  • MATATAT said:

Is there a difference between Violet Crumble and Crunchie? Last time I had either I felt like they were pretty different despite being effectively the same thing. Crunchie seemed to have the better chocolate coating.

Yeah, a little. Violet crumble is lighter, has a slightly different flavor, and they tend to be crispier. Crunchies tend to be denser, have a slightly more caramel flavor, and tend to shatter less.
  • edited September 2016
    Can any of you identify this?

http://i.imgur.com/g8ooj9t.jpg

It's supposed to be a gif and it uploaded static for some reason, the girl is walking the background is rising and falling behind her.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I bought this thing that lets me hang a bicycle on the wall.

http://amzn.to/2d3HLYu

I figured it would be easy to mount on the wall. I've done this kind of thing many times before hanging shelves and such.

I bought the appropriate sized drill bit (7mm). I used a magnetic stud finder and found a stud in a good location. I measured multiple times to make sure I had a good height and such. When I went to drill, I went straight through the drywall and then, could not make any progress on the stud. Apparently it's made of metal! Apparently the Internet says you can drill through metal studs, but I couldn't make any progress on this one.

I also read about a possibility that it is not a stud, but some sort of plate to keep me from drilling into electrical cables. So I moved down a bit, and it's still impenetrable.

I'm not really concerned about a few holes in the wall (as long as it isn't excessive). I've got putty. No big deal. What I am concerned about is whether I should try harder to get into that stud, or if I should give up and just go between the studs and hang it on the drywall. I tried one hole in the drywall-only area so far. The plastic mounting bit went right through, so I would have to go to the hardware store to get different mounting equipment.
  • You just need a hammer drill and the correct bit.
  • I have one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gearup-OakRak-Ceiling-Storage-Walnut/dp/B009YU2DU2.

No drilling or screws needed, it just tensions up into the floor and ceiling. We have two bikes to hang though. Might be overkill for just one.
  • You just need a hammer drill and the correct bit.

I'm not buying a new drill just to hang one thing. I'll have to see if I can borrow one.
  • I borrowed one when I moved into my new apartment in March. Not given it back yet!
  • Basically all modern buildings in New York have metal studs behind moderately thick drywall.
  • Rym said:

Basically all modern buildings in New York have metal studs behind moderately thick drywall.

Do you have a drill that can get through?
  • edited September 2016
    Okay, you've made a good start. Nearly there, you just need a few extra bits.

I don't know what kind of drill you have, but you don't really need a giant, ancient 240 volt high-power pecker wrecker like mine, should be alright if you have any modern power drill or battery drill, they have plenty of torque for the job.

What you will need to get through the stud is a high speed steel bit or a metalworking bit with titanium nitride coating - sounds fancy, but you can pick them up pretty cheap if you don't have one already. A woodworking bit has a different tip profile, and will mostly just skitter on the surface, and if it does bite, blunt itself to uselessness before you make much progress.

The other thing you'll need is a box of Wall anchors for metal studs - I prefer these ones, they haven't let me down yet, but use whichever you prefer. Should be able to get them online, or from your local hardware. Don't use drywall anchors, they're not fit for purpose with metal studs.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't ever mount anything in a metal stud. I avoided them and used heavy drywall anchors instead.
  • edited September 2016
    Rym said:

I don't ever mount anything in a metal stud. I avoided them and used heavy drywall anchors instead.

I prefer to mount to studs for anything larger than a heavy picture frame, but that's personal choice. You can also go right into the drywall, if it's not too thin, and you get the good, beefy drywall anchors to hook into and spread the load, it should be okay.

If you're going right into drywall, try the Toggler Snaptoggle anchors. You can get them on Amazon, they're pretty fucking good as drywall anchors go, but the same dudes that make the speedbrace anchors for metal studs also make really good drywall anchors.

Only downside to the speedbrace is that if you ever want to get rid of them, you have to hammer them down and spackle over them. Snaptoggles, you can just pop 'em loose, and they fall right out.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The drywall is quite thick. At least an inch, if not more. I'll go to the hardware store on Saturday and ask for advice.
  • Hammer and big nails?
  • edited September 2016
    So, our server room seems to have the same walls from your description. What we did was pre drill into the drywall avoiding studs ( turns out they're metal confirmed by the super) and used... well I call them butterflys, and my dad calls them dollies, but you pre drill a hole in the wall, then you hammer this little plastic thing into it, then you screw into the plastic and that causes the plastic thing to spread out inside the wall and spread out all forces acting on the screw. Tons of those lead to our cable shelving.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Naoza said:

So, our server room seems to have the same walls from your description. What we did was pre drill into the drywall avoiding studs ( turns out they're metal confirmed by the super) and used... well I call them butterflys, and my dad calls them dollies, but you pre drill a hole in the wall, then you hammer this little plastic thing into it, then you screw into the plastic and that causes the plastic thing to spread out inside the wall and spread out all forces acting on the screw. Tons of those lead to our cable shelving.

Yeah, I've used those before.
  • THE HOLE HAWG

IT IS YOUR DESTINY
  • Starfox said:

THE HOLE HAWG

IT IS YOUR DESTINY

No.
  • edited September 2016
    So expensive the price isn't even listed on the page

Though it seems home depot is selling it for $300.

So how about it, $300 bike hanger?
    Post edited by Naoza on