This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• JOIN ME
    AND TOGETHER WE CAN RULE THE WALL AS DRILLER AND STUD
  • Someone want to photoshop that into Roadhog's hands?
  • What does moving to NYC look like for a 23 year old making $65,000? Is it possible to get reasonable housing (small is fine) with a reasonable commute?
  • Ikatono said:

What does moving to NYC look like for a 23 year old making $65,000? Is it possible to get reasonable housing (small is fine) with a reasonable commute?

There are Starbucks all over the city, and they have employees who live here. You are making way more than they do.
  • You'll get a roommate in an OK place near a subway.

Or, you'll get a studio apartment not near a subway, but close to Manhattan.

Or, you'll get a 1BR apartment way out in Queens or Brooklyn.
  • Did World of Warcraft somehow condition people to think that if you were to play an MMO that you have to play it every single day and put in a certain amount of time? On occasion I play FF XIV just to push buttons and complete tasks. I might play it a couple times a week for a bit of time. It's interesting to me how I have more than one friend who says to me if I mention it "Oh I couldn't play an MMO anymore, I just don't have the time." Am I missing something or was there some time when you had to keep logging in each day to be relevant in an MMO? Maybe some of the earlier types where it was impossible to play by yourself that makes sense, but WoW was one of the first games where you can just get to max level by yourself. That was sort of their claim to fame. And I know for a fact that many of my friends who claim that stuff really only spent a lot of time with WoW (there was some Everquest here and there maybe).

People say the same thing about Destiny as well, but I guess Destiny's problem is that it actively blocks you off from progress per day. So really they want you to spend an hour or so each day trying to make progress and then log out.

I guess that's why I avoided that stuff in Destiny, but even when I was playing WoW I didn't ever recognize anything that was like "Oh, I have to get on and play for 2-3 hours each day." Maybe I just never took it that seriously.
  • There's a psychological thing in regards to any game with progression or ranking. For example, in Netrunner a lot of people who have quit for various reasons. A common reason, however, is that a competitive person, who is good at the game, realizes they aren't good enough to actually win tournaments. Putting in more effort won't get them to that level, or the amount of effort required isn't worth the reward. Rather than just play and lose, they play something else.

The MMO logic is similar. If they aren't going to put in enough time to actually play the entire game, reach max level, etc. Why play at all?
  • edited September 2016
    I mean, eventually you would reach max level and get through the content. There's pretty much no skill involved in an MMO, it's just time right? But I feel like they have the need to progress through it as fast as humanly possible. Then maybe they just realize they have no self control and decide to just not play the game.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited September 2016
    At least in wow, there is actual skill. However that skill isn't what you think it is. And when it is, it took a lot of both time and not what you think it is skill to get to the point of actual skill playing the game mattering.

First up, get to max level, costs boatloads of time. Next get the stuff you need to have high enough numbers at max level to even consider going to the place where actual skill is required. Again just time, boatloads of time.

Now you've got the high enough numbers, first skill required: social skills. Yeah, you gotta coordinate with people and get them to let you join their secret club. The better club the better for you, and part of that is showing off the time you spent getting those shiny new numbers, but the other part is good old fashioned being likable.

Ok you got people to like you, next step, more time! Gotta do your part and spend time getting more stuff (this time consumables) to help your club collectively have higher numbers (optional admittedly, though someone has to and it's generally better to split the time)

Ok next thing you have to be good at: Coordinating, this skill is the one where a bunch of people in real time understand enough of what each other are doing so as to not have wasteful actions taken.

And finally after all this the thing you signed up for actually begins to matter, skill at the game, yet even now it's not what you thought it was. It's not things like skill with a virtual sword or head-clicking that matter.

You can be one of three things:

Tank who's skill is his ability to take less damage using different tools he has to mitigate damage at the most optimal times, better tanks are better at optimizing.

Dps who have to like follow an if-then flowchart while also doing a mini version of what the tank does and minimizing their own damage taken. Better dps are able to maintain a baseline dps while minimizing their own damage taken. The skill is in optimizing both numbers, one to be high and one to be low and sorta juggling between them.

Finally heals, optimize what to use when so as to give the most healing without going over and depleting their finite resources.

All three are basically playing decision trees, and the skill comes down to being good at real time optimization.

To recap:
    Time
    Time
    Social skills
    Time
    Coordination
    Optimization

If I wanted an optimization mini game I could go call up popcap and get the same experience.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • edited September 2016
    So there is a lot of time being spent, but are you actively losing anything by deciding not to participate each day? The closest analog I can try to relate to is that maybe in WoW they only give you one loot drop for a raid or whatever (or event of some sort) per day, like in Destiny, and trying to get the stuff you want for... something else?

Maybe just the glory of having higher numbers?

Even with Destiny it made zero sense. Cool you finally got that sweet piece of raid gear that took you 500 tries. Statistically you could have gotten it whenever but you wanted it ASAP. And... you've already conquered the hardest shit in the game. Actually not fully true, some of that gear was pretty good in PVP, but if you don't do PVP then it's just useless. Maybe that's just where the lizard brain part comes in of "I WANT IT" and you spend way too much time trying to score bits.

But honestly, even with your description of the events, it sounds like that is what is happening.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • You're paying a monthly fee. If you play less time, and experience less of the game, you are getting less for your money.
  • edited September 2016
    Ok so into the nitty gritty, yeah, you are losing out on something by not participating each and every day.

I can't speak to anything but but wow. But in wow, yes there are things called dailies. Which are repeatable quests only doable once per day. Doing them gets you resources (gold, reputation with factions, and random chance rewards)

All of the resources you get from them come back to getting yourself cosmetics and higher numbers.

By not pulling that lever (which takes hours to fully pull), you are missing out on the opportunity cost of having those resources and it will hinder your ability to play at a competitive level both in terms of doing the games content and in terms of keeping up with the Joneses.

Also the Skinner box is really set up well, the longer you pull that lever the more diminished your returns up to a point (the daily cap) however you can probably get about 40% of the total pot by only pulling it a little bit (only playing for about 10 minutes most days).
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • I think the biggest factor is that if you aren't playing at the pace your friends are playing at, you fall way behind and can't join them on raids or whatever. A few times, friends wanted me to join them in MMOs but they were powerleveling and I was casually playing a few hours when I could, and so I couldn't really play with them or they would have to opt for leveling down and not gaining XP to play with me.
  • Is it plagiarism to take the rhythm of a famous song if the rhythm was itself taken from an old field chant with no known author?
  • With US copyright law, probably. At least in practice. If it got to one of the highest courts in the land probably not.
  • Legally I have no doubts it'd be okay. Vanilla Ice never ran into problems with Queen, Come Together was a variation on a Chuck Berry tune, and every blues artist that matters has written a song with that Bo Diddley rhythm. I was thinking from an artistic/philosophical perspective.
  • Great artists steal. Take the rhythm and make it work for you.

Take a tune, sing high when they sing low, sing fast when they sing slow, and you've got a new tune.” — Woody Guthrie

Take a tune, sing high when they sing low, sing fast when they sing slow, and you've got a new tune.” — Woody Guthrie

One of the other songs for this project is a Guthrie medley so this is a very powerful quote for me.
  • Anyone know where I can buy an ax or blade good against clowns?
  • Claw head hammer, half the price, half the weight and good for up close. Failing that a good old straight edge kitchen knife will do the job with out breaking the bank. Also both have other uses. Like hammering a loaf of break and cutting bricks.
  • Is it racially problematic for a white man to sing a song about racism in the justice system from the perspective of a black man?
  • Greg said:

Is it racially problematic for a white man to sing a song about racism in the justice system from the perspective of a black man?

Not quite there but you've obviously heard Bob Dylan's Hurricane. That in no way causes problems but it isn't in the first person, Macklemore does a similar thing in a few songs on various other forms of injustice but not in the first person.

I don't see the issue.
  • sK0pe said:

Greg said:

Is it racially problematic for a white man to sing a song about racism in the justice system from the perspective of a black man?

Not quite there but you've obviously heard Bob Dylan's Hurricane. That in no way causes problems but it isn't in the first person, Macklemore does a similar thing in a few songs on various other forms of injustice but not in the first person.

I don't see the issue.
    As best I can tell, the line is roughly that you can talk about it, but not okay if you're trying to speak for other people.
  • edited October 2016
    Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Greg said:

I don't see the issue.
    As best I can tell, the line is roughly that you can talk about it, but not okay if you're trying to speak for other people.
    What if the music is in a literary context though? Plenty of some white writers identify and write well formed and genuine black characters (e.g. David Simon - multiple characters in The Wire).
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • sK0pe said:

Greg said:

I don't see the issue.
    Yeah I shouldve clarified that its first person. Thats why Im unsure.
  • Speaking "for" people other than yourself without some kind of context that satisfies it is usually odd. Even things I'd be classified as a group-member of... I wouldn't do that.
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Greg said:

I don't see the issue.
    What if the music is in a literary context though? Plenty of some white writers identify and write well formed and genuine black characters (e.g. David Simon - multiple characters in The Wire).
    I don't know. I'd put it down to being on a case by case basis, but really, I just don't know.
  • Does anyone know a good music focused forum?
  • Greg said:

Does anyone know a good music focused forum?

The subreddit for your genre/band of choice.