This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Disposing of Old Tech

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the disposal of old technology. Computers, phones, light bulbs, equipment, that old motherboard box you have full of the extra parts from the last computer you built: everything that you now have to get rid of. In the news, Scott reviews his iPhone 7, and the FCC wants to upgrade the new(ish) emergency alert system.

Support GeekNights on Patreon! Or watch our most recent PAX panel: The Grind!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Click on Scott's TOTD in iOS Chrome > opens Instagram app > then opens up Instagram in Safari.

WTF.

Also thanks for the input on the 7. I was wondering if I should upgrade or wait.
  • My opinion on the 7 (my girlfriend's new phone) vs the 6 (my own phone) is that everything is better... except for the shape of the phone itself, which is the same.

The camera is a MASSIVE step up. The optical image stabilization in video mode is incredible. I want that!

The screen is way better, with the wider colour gamut and better contrast.

The force press on apps is really cool.

The home button feels way better, along with all the other haptics.

The stereo speakers are about twice as loud. Not as good as the iPad Pro, of course, but better than even my old macbook pro.

The motion chip is on constantly, so the "raise to wake" feature means you can see the notifications without pressing a button. Just like the watch. Also it listens for "Hey Siri" without holding the home button.

The touch id sensor feels about 8 times quicker. And of course everything else just runs quicker too.

I've no way to compare battery life as I've not been using the phone, and I have the Smart Battery case on mine all the time. Also I've not experienced life without a dedicated headphone port, so I've no comment on that. Juliane only uses bluetooth earphones anyway, so she has no opinion anyway.

Hilarious: Rym constantly trying to talk about his Sony phone and Scott giving only negative shits.
  • My opinion on the 7 (my girlfriend's new phone) vs the 6 (my own phone) is that everything is better... except for the shape of the phone itself, which is the same.

The camera is a MASSIVE step up. The optical image stabilization in video mode is incredible. I want that!

The screen is way better, with the wider colour gamut and better contrast.

The force press on apps is really cool.

The home button feels way better, along with all the other haptics.

The stereo speakers are about twice as loud. Not as good as the iPad Pro, of course, but better than even my old macbook pro.

The motion chip is on constantly, so the "raise to wake" feature means you can see the notifications without pressing a button. Just like the watch. Also it listens for "Hey Siri" without holding the home button.

The touch id sensor feels about 8 times quicker. And of course everything else just runs quicker too.

I've no way to compare battery life as I've not been using the phone, and I have the Smart Battery case on mine all the time. Also I've not experienced life without a dedicated headphone port, so I've no comment on that. Juliane only uses bluetooth earphones anyway, so she has no opinion anyway.

Hilarious: Rym constantly trying to talk about his Sony phone and Scott giving only negative shits.

I might be wrong considering I ended up with the 6s which is still fairly close to the 7, but I think most of those are from iOS updates. Force press might just be a "6s =<" situation, My phone with iOS 10 also had the raise to wake, which I promptly turned off. I remember hearing somewhat that their software solution for the camera stabilization was still available in 6s. But the rest would be hardware exclusive.
  • MATATAT said:

I might be wrong considering I ended up with the 6s which is still fairly close to the 7, but I think most of those are from iOS updates. Force press might just be a "6s =<" situation, My phone with iOS 10 also had the raise to wake, which I promptly turned off. I remember hearing somewhat that their software solution for the camera stabilization was still available in 6s. But the rest would be hardware exclusive.</p>

The 6S plus, 7, and 7 plus all have optical image stabilisation. The sensor and/or lens physically moves inside the camera. 6S does not do that. The force touch was added to the 6S. Not available on the 6 or SE. The 7 is also more durable, insignificantly lighter, more water resistant,
  • I was talking specifically about my situation (6 compared to 7) and Scott's take on the same situation (upgrading from 6 to 7). As in, exactly NOT your situation, comparing the 6S (which already has force press, haptics, raise to wake, etc) with the 7.

Optical image stabilization was in the 6S Plus, not the 6S, and is nothing to do with software. That's what the name means: doing it optically, not in software.
  • edited October 2016
    I'm mostly just clarifying that not all these features are new to the 7.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • My phone:
    127 x 65

Pixel:
    144 x 70

Pixel XL:
    155 x 76

Nope.
  • That doesn't make the jump from the 6 to the 7 any less meaningful!

I'm holding out for the 7S or 8 or whatever. Well, not holding out, as I'm happy with my phone in every way now (except for the camera, which is garbage compared to the OIS camera in the 7 with the high colour gamut display for viewing).