This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo Switch

Okay Nintendo, you do have my interest.

Still, all of this seems to be a development nightmare having to optimize for different screen sizes and input methods. Will it be another console dominated by Nintendo's in-house developed games or will 3rd party developers actually make something interesting with this?

Comments

• They do have a number of big name partners signed up.

• Why yes, now that gamepads have a left and right stick you CAN split one in half to make two tiny controllers.

Are they trying to kill their own 3DS though?
  • Apreche said:

Why yes, now that gamepads have a left and right stick you CAN split one in half to make two tiny controllers.

The 3DS was released 6 years before the Switch will be released. Also it doesn't appear that the Switch has 3D capabilities.
  • I don't think the Switch is an entirely new console either. They showed a lot of Wii U games being played. I did want backwards compatibility with Wii U, so it looks like I made the right choice avoiding Wii U knowing i could just play any games I missed later. I think the Switch is more of a New Wii U, like the New 3DS is, than something entirely new.
  • It's not like anyone uses the 3D capabilities of 3DS. If Switch replaces 3DS in the future lack of second screen will mean sad bye bye to Etrian Odyssey, but that's pretty much it.

Also there doesn't seem to be that many different input methods. It looked to me that the two sticks together have basically same functionality as that more basic looking controller.

I question what's the catch for getting seemingly quite a lot of power in portable system. The battery life maybe?
  • 2017 gaming hardware priorities:

1. HTC Vive
    2. Nintendo Switch
  • I like the physical design, it feels like it wound be a killer portable instead of using a tablet, and also have the dock for playing at home means it isn't just a portable. It would get more use than my xbone, but that means any nonzero use by now.

Hopefully it handles Bluetooth headphones.

I can see third party controllers being interesting on this, having bigger or smaller style grips or sticks or whatever. If the interchangeable aspect is really followed I bet one can build hybrids.
  • The Switch is looking better than I imagined but ya, it does leave me wondering where that leaves the DS line.
  • Maybe there will be a headset available like the Google Cardboard or whatever to turn that screen into a basic VR display, with a mini controller or two for inputs.
  • edited October 2016
    Apreche said:

Why yes, now that gamepads have a left and right stick you CAN split one in half to make two tiny controllers.

They've previously claimed they'll be supporting DS up through 2018, but it remains to be seen if they change their minds. May have just been hedging their bets, in case they end up with another WiiU.
    Apsup said:

It's not like anyone uses the 3D capabilities of 3DS. If Switch replaces 3DS in the future lack of second screen will mean sad bye bye to Etrian Odyssey, but that's pretty much it.

Interestingly, it seems there was a big spike of people using 3d with the New 3ds XL and 3ds - the eye-tracking shit they stuck in works real well, apparently it got a lot more people using it. Still not the majority, but it seems to be a fair jump.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I will reserve judgment and stay off the hype train. Wii U had a long list of 3rd-party devs, and that died pretty quickly. If the games run good and its easy for devs to port stuff over, then I will get excited.
  • edited October 2016
    This seems like transformer Wii U. I'm not sure how I see where it's backwards compatible with Wii U. This seems to use 3ds style cards. And if it's not backwards compatible I'll probably be waiting a while to fully finish my Wii U collection before moving on.

Also I found the pro controller interesting. It took me a while to realize that it was even a branded controller. Each shot of it made it look kinda roughed up, so I thought originally that it was supposed to be some controller they just had that was maybe bluetooth.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I am pretty optimistic about this. It's basically what I wanted the Wii U to be from the start. The Wii U always felt hampered because it had to play nicely with the old Wii hardware so everything was needlessly complicated. Seems like the Switch is completely discarding the old Wii stuff, so it probably won't be as backwards compatible with the Wii U as people think it will. Could be wrong about that, but the trailer doesn't show any hint that it supports Wii-motes, which is what most people used for Wii U local multiplayer.

Detachable controller pieces seems cool for one player, don't want to use it as a nub for multiplayer though. Granted, I don't see myself ever being in a situation where I want to play a game with someone on a tiny screen like that.
  • I've skipped every Nintendo console/portable since like 2006, but this seems like the right time to get back into the ecosystem.
  • kinda nifty. For me personally no use as I already have my mobile harthstone solution, but for many, this is pretty big.
  • Not really concerned about the hardware keeping up with VR boxes, but I would like better local multiplayer experiences. Which Xbox and PS seem to abandon.

"Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor."
  • It's a pipe dream, but I'd like to combo their controller with my iPhone or iPad rather than buy another display.
  • Definitely getting one, just depends on the price at launch and what I can afford then. The controller halves look kind of weird in the grip dock so I'll probably end up buying the pro controller or whatever they end up calling it. I'm interested to see what kind Pokemon game we end up getting for it eventually.
  • Spoiler for the upcoming FNPL - the entire panel except Scojo was a firm "Maybe, we'll see", with Scojo topping out at "Maybe, we'll see, but propably yes on launch day."
  • Rochelle said:

Ruby Rhod

Come on, they messed up unbelievable?
  • Besides obvious things like cost, battery life, how easy is the screen the break, and things like that one of my concerns is actually cases. Seeing as it doesn't fold up like the 3DS, and it's quite a bit slimmer than the Wii U gamepad I'm probably going to want a case for it but the way it docks I'm just afraid it'll be a real bitch to have to take it out of the case to dock it for use as a console.
  • I will 99% likely purchase on launch.

I also expect some sort of power boost when docked. Possible second GPU in dock?
  • Rochelle said:

This scene never gets old for me. I can hear Chris Tucker's voice with every bit of text. XD
  • Dazzle369 said:

Rochelle said:

This scene never gets old for me. I can hear Chris Tucker's voice with every bit of text. XD
    Yep. Now I gotta go to YouTube. Thanks.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Possible second GPU in dock?

Dock is just for power and video out.
  • Do you think Switch power bottoms?
  • I'm getting this, it's the perfect console or someone who doesn't have a TeeVee.
  • Andrew said:

Do you think Switch power bottoms?

No, that's what the dock is for.