This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

1240241242243244246»

Comments

• Apreche said:

Greg said:

Does anyone know a good music focused forum?

The subreddit for your genre/band of choice.
    That's a bit like eating a shit sandwich, because you like bread.
  • Reddit is good at finding new music but I haven't found a subreddit with good discussion.
  • Greg said:

Reddit is good at finding new music but I haven't found a subreddit with good discussion.

All the music related subreddits I am in are pretty good as far as Internet forums go, but they are fan-focused. Maybe try one that is more focused on musicians instead of fans? I bet you could find that in subreddits for particular musical instruments (/r/Guitar) or someplace like /r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/

The thing you have to understand is that valuable discussions with creative people are very hard to come by on the Internet. For example, there are tons of forums on photography all over the web. I've been to all of them. Most, if not all, are basically the same as forums about PC building. 90% of the discussion is about gear and materialist dick-measuring. What new lens just got announced? What do you shoot with? Canon or Nikon? Finding discussion about the actual craft is very difficult, and often not valuable.

Why is this? It's because people who are actually any good and have something valuable to teach aren't spending their time on the web. They are doing. The good photographers are all out shooting. They don't hang on forums. The musicians who have something valuable to teach you are almost all producing, touring, performing, or practicing. They also aren't wasting their time on web forums.

The best discussion can be had by finding such people, working with them, and talking to them while you work.
  • Scott, a website solely or primarily dedicated to music is going to have higher quality discussion than a Reddit. Reddits attract a lot of casuals. They add things they're moderately fond of to their feed cause it's just part of a larger content stream. There isn't anything wrong with this, but it creates a surface level understanding of things. There was an /r/folkpunk thread where I had to explain what a I-IV-V progression is. That's not going to happen on a music focused site that has even one or two blues threads -- UltimateGuitar is a good example of that, tho it's too big for me to really settle into. You're talking out of your ass about a part of the internet you know nothing about.
  • Starfox said:
    Have you listened to Oath-breaker yet?
  • edited October 2016

Now I am.

UPDATE: 2 minutes :(
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Atlanta is my favorite show of 2016. Donald Glover is brilliant capturing the dramedy of Black life in this environment he knows so well exploring the everything from slice-of-life conversations, sudden escalation of crime, money trouble and moderate surrealism. The character development is phenomenal yet the show will still spend episodes devoted to hysterical commentary or concentrate on one person's day-to-day life. It fills the void left by The Boondocks after it's final shitty season and THEN SOME. Incredible work and love all the new actors.
  • Nukerjsr said:

Atlanta is my favorite show of 2016. Donald Glover is brilliant capturing the dramedy of Black life in this environment he knows so well exploring the everything from slice-of-life conversations, sudden escalation of crime, money trouble and moderate surrealism. The character development is phenomenal yet the show will still spend episodes devoted to hysterical commentary or concentrate on one person's day-to-day life. It fills the void left by The Boondocks after it's final shitty season and THEN SOME. Incredible work and love all the new actors.

Why are you posting this as a random question, I agree with your assessment of Atlanta. The most recent episode was funnier than most of the other comedies I watch regularly.
  • I remember a few years back the apple tree at my parents house just had a shitload of apples, so much so that some of the branches were cracking. We've got these ground bees or wasps that often live in our driveway (I don't think they're yellow jackets, because they don't ever seem to act like assholes) and they just went nuts over them. Sometimes there would be like maybe 20 bees on an apple on the ground just eating away. My question is, if I had honey bees, could I give them access to only apples instead of flowers and get some nice apple honey?
  • I remember a few years back the apple tree at my parents house just had a shitload of apples, so much so that some of the branches were cracking. We've got these ground bees or wasps that often live in our driveway (I don't think they're yellow jackets, because they don't ever seem to act like assholes) and they just went nuts over them. Sometimes there would be like maybe 20 bees on an apple on the ground just eating away. My question is, if I had honey bees, could I give them access to only apples instead of flowers and get some nice apple honey?

I bet there are some beekeeping forums on the web that will tell you everything you need to know m
  • Apreche said:

I remember a few years back the apple tree at my parents house just had a shitload of apples, so much so that some of the branches were cracking. We've got these ground bees or wasps that often live in our driveway (I don't think they're yellow jackets, because they don't ever seem to act like assholes) and they just went nuts over them. Sometimes there would be like maybe 20 bees on an apple on the ground just eating away. My question is, if I had honey bees, could I give them access to only apples instead of flowers and get some nice apple honey?

I bet there are some beekeeping forums on the web that will tell you everything you need to know m
    /r/beekeeping is where I got my start. They recommended I hook up with the CT beekeepers association and provided links and contact details. I went to one of their free informational sessions. They told me my practical options for next boxes, who to buy queens from, who had a spare brood. Really welcoming community, at least in CT.
  • My question is, if I had honey bees, could I give them access to only apples instead of flowers and get some nice apple honey?

That's basically what they do in Florida to make orange blossom honey.
  • sK0pe said:

Nukerjsr said:

Atlanta is my favorite show of 2016. Donald Glover is brilliant capturing the dramedy of Black life in this environment he knows so well exploring the everything from slice-of-life conversations, sudden escalation of crime, money trouble and moderate surrealism. The character development is phenomenal yet the show will still spend episodes devoted to hysterical commentary or concentrate on one person's day-to-day life. It fills the void left by The Boondocks after it's final shitty season and THEN SOME. Incredible work and love all the new actors.

Why are you posting this as a random question, I agree with your assessment of Atlanta. The most recent episode was funnier than most of the other comedies I watch regularly.
    Wrong tab that day.
  • I need to write a 4-5 page research paper on anything beer related for my Beers of the World class. Thoughts?
  • Ikatono said:

I need to write a 4-5 page research paper on anything beer related for my Beers of the World class. Thoughts?

Pete's Snicker Liquor
  • He was so preoccupied with whether or not he could, that he didn't stop to think if he should.
  • Ikatono said:

I need to write a 4-5 page research paper on anything beer related for my Beers of the World class. Thoughts?

Maybe the differences of each type of beer from lager to stout?
  • Ikatono said:

How beers that are very popular taste like trash but make the most money for their brewers and the resultant resurgence of craft beers which allow any one that can afford a micro brewery to spread world wide or at least be bought by one of the larger companies.
    e.g. Little Creatures was a restaurant with it's own craft beer which became popular around the city then the entire state and worldwide, were bought by a larger company and now longer make anything experimental.
  • I have been unable to find forums or even good dedicated sites with communities around really ANY of my areas of deep interest or expertise. If it's not a deep subreddit, it's either a forum like what Scott describes or a low-tier site with surface level information and populated primarily by people asking bad questions and getting no or bad answers.

The only good resources aren't communities, but (often paid) tutorial sites run by actual experts.

I mean...

http://www.trumpetherald.com/

Look at that thing. Just look at it.

Even with gaming, look at boardgamegeek. It's primarily a catalogue of technical information about the games themselves or fan-hobbyist projects related to said games (e.g., building a custom board), with little additional theory or craft. The discussions are hilariously poorly informed the far majority of the time.

When I want community around an expert topic, I seek it one-on-one.
  • Rym said:

I have been unable to find forums or even good dedicated sites with communities around really ANY of my areas of deep interest or expertise. If it's not a deep subreddit, it's either a forum like what Scott describes or a low-tier site with surface level information and populated primarily by people asking bad questions and getting no or bad answers.

The only good resources aren't communities, but (often paid) tutorial sites run by actual experts.

I mean...

http://www.trumpetherald.com/

Look at that thing. Just look at it.

Even with gaming, look at boardgamegeek. It's primarily a catalogue of technical information about the games themselves or fan-hobbyist projects related to said games (e.g., building a custom board), with little additional theory or craft. The discussions are hilariously poorly informed the far majority of the time.

When I want community around an expert topic, I seek it one-on-one.

Come work at Google and join some of our internal topical email lists?
  • Come work at Google and join some of our internal topical email lists?

Wait, we have topical internal mailing lists?
  • Come work at Google and join some of our internal topical email lists?

Wait, we have topical internal mailing lists?
    YMMV, I guess.

Colleges and universities might have similar internal interest groups. I've also had mixed experiences, including some positive ones, with topic-specific meetup group on meetup.com. I found a really cool community of indie game devs that way, and also found an insanely cheap mountaineering skills workshop with a dude who has numerous Everest summits under his belt.

But in general I think it would be hard to find the combo of a decent baseline level of civility combined with the technical depth Rym is craving, without it being part of some huge, nerdy, real actual meatspace organization. The ever-present slight potential that you'll need to eventually cooperate face-to-face with any given participant in any given thread I think raises the bar for civility. And I get the impression that many other companies that are big and nerdy enough seem to be a lot stiffer when it comes to talking about fun/hobby stuff on work-sponsored channels.
  • This tweet just popped up in my timeline?

Is that song really this popular? Because around my parts I'd have a hard time for any person on the street to identify it.
  • chaosof99 said:

This tweet just popped up in my timeline?

Is that song really this popular? Because around my parts I'd have a hard time for any person on the street to identify it.

In UK yes, in the states kinda.
  • In Boston, only in Southie.
  • Anybody have any recommendations on an entry level (< $200) drone? Looking for one for my dad for Christmas.
  • Anybody have any recommendations on an entry level (< $200) drone? Looking for one for my dad for Christmas.

My dad got one at CVS with camera and wifi streaming for $50 last year.
  • When's google going to pull the plug on g+?