This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Apple Fail

edited November 2016 in Everything Else
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/2.RSLID?nclm=CBF7AC77

This is bullshit. I got my 2GB of RAM for less than $200 for my macbook. Is apple actually thinking it's going to sell on their site?
Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• Yes, this is bullshit. It does sell, but only to people trapped in bureaucracies and idiots. Everyone else is perfectly free to go buy the memory for a 1/4 of that cost.
  • edited March 2016
    This is a thing I guess. http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11301208/apple-app-developer-tv-series-eddy-cue Most relevant apple thread I could find to post in.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Wow, how times have changed. I bought 2gb of ram for like $10 a couple of months ago.
  • Pegu said:

This is a thing I guess. http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11301208/apple-app-developer-tv-series-eddy-cue Most relevant apple thread I could find to post in.

lol

Wow, how times have changed. I bought 2gb of ram for like $10 a couple of months ago.

Yet buying 32 gb of notebook (slow) RAM for your iMac only costs $700 USD.
  • I can't get over the title of this thread.
  • I think this might be the only thread where the icon matches.
  • edited March 2016

sK0pe said:

Pegu said:

lol

Wow, how times have changed. I bought 2gb of ram for like $10 a couple of months ago.

Yet buying 32 gb of notebook (slow) RAM for your iMac only costs $700 USD.
    So, still retarded then?
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • By “previous” Cnet means the immediately proceeding 6s/6s Plus, but still better than the original “bendgate” 6/6 Plus. Were there significant complaints about the 6s/6s Plus? I wonder how the SE compares against the 5/5s; I would guess about the same.
  • Can someone change the name of this thread?

Good call.
  • There are employees at Apple who are creative professionals and need very powerful computers. What are they using? Are they using Macbook Pros and deeming them "fast enough"? Are they shamelessly using PCs and not giving a fuck? Are they using custom machines built in house, but not made available to the general public? If so, I doubt NVidia/Intel/AMD is helping them write a driver for hardware they aren't putting in publicly sold device.

What was it called before the current title?
  • Naoza said:

Can someone change the name of this thread?

What was it called before the current title?
    Something offensive. It was an ancient thread started by someone who thankfully seems to be gone.

• Apreche said:

There are employees at Apple who are creative professionals and need very powerful computers. What are they using? Are they using Macbook Pros and deeming them "fast enough"? Are they shamelessly using PCs and not giving a fuck? Are they using custom machines built in house, but not made available to the general public? If so, I doubt NVidia/Intel/AMD is helping them write a driver for hardware they aren't putting in publicly sold device.

One of the more tech-heavy mac developers I know built a hackintosh. I just don't know that many devs that use a mac for cpu/gpu intensive work. Once you hit a certain threshold of cpu, you farm it off.
  • okeefe said:

Apreche said:

There are employees at Apple who are creative professionals and need very powerful computers. What are they using? Are they using Macbook Pros and deeming them "fast enough"? Are they shamelessly using PCs and not giving a fuck? Are they using custom machines built in house, but not made available to the general public? If so, I doubt NVidia/Intel/AMD is helping them write a driver for hardware they aren't putting in publicly sold device.

One of the more tech-heavy mac developers I know built a hackintosh. I just don't know that many devs that use a mac for cpu/gpu intensive work. Once you hit a certain threshold of cpu, you farm it off.
    Are you saying they are using hackintoshes at Apple HQ?
  • Apreche said:

This was not at Apple.
  • okeefe said:

Apreche said:

This was not at Apple.
    OK, but that's not what I'm asking. There are people at Apple who need powerful computers on their desks. What are they using?
  • Doesn't Apple have a partnership deal with IBM for supercomputing needs?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Doesn't Apple have a partnership deal with IBM for supercomputing needs?

As far as I am aware iCloud services are hosted on a combination of Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure. If Apple has in-house supercomputing resources to power their internal work, they very well could be IBM machines. But those IBM machines aren't on someone's desk. Someone at Apple makes those TV commercials in Final Cut Pro X or Premiere, and I'm sure they don't want to hit render on a weak-ass Mac.
  • Is Watson HealthCloud no longer a thing?

It looks like Apple is using all of the major cloud players.
  • Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

As far as I am aware iCloud services are hosted on a combination of Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure. If Apple has in-house supercomputing resources to power their internal work, they very well could be IBM machines. But those IBM machines aren't on someone's desk. Someone at Apple makes those TV commercials in Final Cut Pro X or Premiere, and I'm sure they don't want to hit render on a weak-ass Mac.
    They could be outsourcing all their video design needs. Focusing on creating assets to give to the moving picture people. Gods know they an afford it.
  • Naoza said:

Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

They could be outsourcing all their video design needs. Focusing on creating assets to give to the moving picture people. Gods know they an afford it.
    I doubt it. If you have someone external make an iPhone 7 commercial, you have to tell someone external about the iPhone 7 before it is released. For their extreme secrecy and paranoia, they are definitely doing that shit physically inside the Apple HQ. Do they have non-Macs in there? Maybe that's the big secret they can't let the world see.
  • I can find a ton of articles where companies and schools have used Apple computers to make super computers and one or two referencing a super computer Apple used ten years ago but nothing current. No reason they can't make one out of a cluster of Macs but why wouldn't they sell such a thing?
  • HMTKSteve said:

I can find a ton of articles where companies and schools have used Apple computers to make super computers and one or two referencing a super computer Apple used ten years ago but nothing current. No reason they can't make one out of a cluster of Macs but why wouldn't they sell such a thing?

There was a time when the Mac mini was such a good deal in terms of price, power efficiency, and performance, that people made supercomputers by clustering them together. Those days are long over.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if inside Apple itself some of them used actually professional-grade computers running OSX that are effectively Hackintoshes.
  • It is a damn shame Apple doesn't offer essentially a canonized hackintosh uber platform, for dropping in the latest and greatest components of your choosing. I don't care if it's just some kind of chassis that takes mid size ATX stuff, or some propriety setup that uses Apple's unique architecture that makes building a compatible setup pretty painless. BUT either way, Apples whole closed architecture thing might be great for the masses and the occasional prosumer but being stuck with no good update options is no bueno and a major reason I have on average zero interest in anything Apple has to offer in terms of a work machine.
  • Apreche said:

I was thinking about this in our University labs where there are bunch of trash iMacs that take almost 10 seconds to launch Safari or Chrome and then decide they can't remember what tabs were open.

Unsurprisingly the majority of people had just opened their own computers

On the other side there are a few people who are delighted with their 2011 hardware repackaged into a 2016 device and the requirement to have a rat's nest of cables.