This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• I also tend to see it in "Suggested" youtube videos.

Been watching a lot of InfoWars lately, huh? :P

• Suggested videos are based on your viewing habits (even if incognito: it figures it out).

It's showing you that because you've watched a lot of similar videos.
  • Rym said:

Suggested videos are based on your viewing habits (even if incognito: it figures it out).

Or if you're me, you don't even see them. Suggested videos, I hate in principal and so I spent every effort to not look at them (can't be helped) and never ever click on them (I control that one).
  • I actually watch suggested videos sometimes. It's led me to watching a bunch of videos of professional snooker, which is a surprisingly engaging/high-skill sport.
  • Welp, the FBI has decided to reopen the Clinton investigation because that is obviously the move to do 11 days from the fucking election.
  • That story is already falling apart.
  • Cremlian said:

That story is already falling apart.

Of course it's utter bullshit. Apparently it's 3 (!) emails that are new and they hadn't considered and for that the director of the FBI releases a really vague press statement that could mean anything.

The problem is that it is political message, raises FUD about a Clinton presidency and energizes Trump and his support. It is an unconscionable thing to do because it, deliberately or not, screws with the political climate and the coming election.
  • Rym said:

Suggested videos are based on your viewing habits (even if incognito: it figures it out).

It can be pretty loose about "Similar", though - I regularly get recommendations for anti-feminist internet shoutymen for a while when I watch a few pro-feminist videos, because they're apparently "Similar", as the topic is feminism in both cases.
  • Eh, I'm a bit sympathetic to FBI man on this one. Imagine the fallout it he sat on this for 11 days and THEN it came out.

Kinda in a no win situation for the poor bastard.
  • Naoza said:

Eh, I'm a bit sympathetic to FBI man on this one. Imagine the fallout it he sat on this for 11 days and THEN it came out.

Kinda in a no win situation for the poor bastard.

Well, the obvious solution is issuing a simultaneous statement clarifying the issue. Which would have prevented 90% of this whole storm in a teacup.

Also, in other news, Pussy Riot's Nadezhda Tolokonnikova had a pretty good interview in Daily Beast about Trump, Russia, Julian Assange, and the election.
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

It can be pretty loose about "Similar", though - I regularly get recommendations for anti-feminist internet shoutymen for a while when I watch a few pro-feminist videos, because they're apparently "Similar", as the topic is feminism in both cases.
    Any time I watch Anita Sarkeesian videos, I get tons of recommended videos that are shouty men complaining about her. One time I fell asleep with one of her videos in a playlist and woke up to anti feminism videos. Fun times.
  • Rym said:

even if incognito: it figures it out

What. Do you have a source for that?
  • Incognito isn't Do Not Track. It just blocks local history. YouTube still sees what is being searched for at a certain IP and which videos are being watched there.
  • canine224 said:

Incognito isn't Do Not Track. It just blocks local history. YouTube still sees what is being searched for at a certain IP and which videos are being watched there.

• Obama's post-election plans: Catching up on his backlog.

• Churba said:

Rym said:

Any time I watch Anita Sarkeesian videos, I get tons of recommended videos that are shouty men complaining about her. One time I fell asleep with one of her videos in a playlist and woke up to anti feminism videos. Fun times.
    Gotta turn that autoplay off.
  • Wasn't there an October Surprise indictment of Weinburger (and linked to H.W. Bush) back in 1992?

Anyone suggesting this new Weiner business and it's impact on the previous email server investigation is somehow unprecedented needs to bone up on their history.
  • Harry Reid fires back at Comey.

Not sure about the proceedings, but what are the odds that Comey is fired/hands in his resignation between the 9th and 15th of November?
  • edited November 2016
    I had a discussion on reddit where I responded to a guy claiming that Hillary's e-mails show that she rigged the primary election and prove pay-to-play from the Hillary Fondation. I said they do not, others of course claimed they do. I demanded evidence and I got this site (archive link after I refused to go the original url which seemed fishy to me).

I already knew it is bullshit but jesus fucking christ these people are complete garbage. Basically the entire list is quote mines with bullshit explanations which are of course immediately debunked once you click on the actual links provided. They are literally hoping that they are believed and people will refuse to look at the original source of the claim.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • As I said on Twitter, I have zero interest in remaining friends with anyone who refuses to vote or votes for anyone other than Clinton at this point. This shit is out of control.
  • Your archive link is not working for me. Was it zero hedge? That seems to be the new goto site for Trumpets.
  • If I could I'd do the same. But I can't I can just try and change minds or refuse to talk politics with those people. Sadly they're too close for me to actually completely disown.
  • edited November 2016
    HMTKSteve said:

Your archive link is not working for me. Was it zero hedge? That seems to be the new goto site for Trumpets.

No, it was some site called www.mostdamagingwikileaks.com if you want to risk it. It's basically a list of 100 points declaring Hillary to be the worst supported by quote mines and bullshit explanations that immediately fall apart once you click on the actual wikileaks links they provide or do even the most rudimentary of research. It is basically just complete propaganda.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • At worst the Podesta emails are just a peak into the sausage making behind the Democratic party.
  • HMTKSteve said:

At worst the Podesta emails are just a peak into the sausage making behind the Democratic party.

How do you make a mountain out of bits?

But Actual News: Remember how Trump has a child rape complaint filed against him, which hasn't been covered by the media much because it was hard to tell whether the complainant actually existed?
  • Isn't the child rape thing tied to the Lolita Express guy? Didn't the Clintons fly and associate with him more than Trump?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Isn't the child rape thing tied to the Lolita Express guy? Didn't the Clintons fly and associate with him more than Trump?

So? That's some guilt-by-association bullshit right there.
  • Update: The press conference was canceled to be rescheduled at an unspecified time, with the lawyer citing "threats." Back to skepticism for me.
  • edited November 2016
    This was an interesting tidbit I came across:

https://www.facebook.com/RBReich/posts/1349621041717155

Short version: GOP congressmen are actually afraid of their constituency.

I always felt there was a certain soulessness to the GOP in how there was no principle they couldn't compromise in order to maintain power. Courage also seems to be in short supply as well.
    Post edited by Raithnor on
  • Kasich's got it, at least.