This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• I am puzzled by Glenn Beck;s recent revelations. He is claiming that the Obama presidency and the rise of Trump changed him greatly. Recall that Glenn Beck frequently called President Obama a racist, Marxist, and an anarchists. He is also taking responsibility for being a creator and fomenter of extreme right wing and alt-right rhetoric.

Has he gone on medication, had an epiphany, or is he just trying to keep his career alive?

If he's trying to keep his career alive he's alienating what was basically his core base.

My pet theory is "Ghost of Politics Future" put a severe beatdown on him.
  • He's always been this way. Over a decade ago, I thought there was some value in hearing out both sides, and some of my views were admittedly conflicted and still forming, so I listened to a fair bit of right wing media. I couldn't stand Rush, and Hannity made my skin crawl, but Glenn Beck always had these moments of clarity where he would call the others out as bullshitters, and present areas where the mainstream Republican stances were out of touch. He had a lot of centrist Democrats and "I'm not comfortable with the social issue stuff" Libertarian-type right wingers as his core audience.

Dude straight up changed in the leadup to 2008 election though. It seemed pretty clear that he was just all about the money. Early on, felt he could make a niche for himself by being the more rational voice, but then as the right wing media brands blossomed, he saw there was more $$$ in going full Hannity.

Now there is a backlash against the alt-right, and people are seeing dollar signs in actual news. You are going to see Fox News (while remaining right-leaning) shift away from blatant lies and pandering, because they know Trump/Breitbart is stealing their crazy person base, and they need to adapt. Glenn Beck is going to follow suit, but he's still a shithead for all the things he's said. I swore off right wing media long ago and won't be going back.

Beck was one of the people who helped co-opt the Tea Party movement back in 2007. Most people don't realize that the whole Tea Party thing started as a Libertarian-leaning movement that was meant to throw out religious/social conservatives and focus only on restrained fiscal policy. Since he was playing a bit to that audience, Beck was clued in to the early Tea Party days. Then, the banner got ripped from their hands and picked up by the religious right, turning it into a fucking nutjob festival. Beck has his own religious rediscovery around that time too. Fuck that guy.
  • From other places on the internet I hear that turnout is up. Of course this is mostly anecdotal with people saying that there is a (longer) line than when they voted in 2012/2008 at a similar time early in the morning but still, it seems like a positive.
  • There were more than 10 people at my tiny local polling place at 6AM, which the old dude there said is the most he's seen in 48 years. This matches up with all of the anectodal reports of increased turnout, but maybe people are just really eager this year to be done with it.
  • edited November 2016
    Medication and physical therapy. He was diagnosed with a brain injury sometime in the last few years (according to the man himself) that he's only recently taken control of.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • He's done things like this several times throughout his career. He used to be an apolitical shock jock on morning radio.

I think he's a bit touched, but earnestly believes the things he says.
  • Civic duty complete!

I got an UItra-Rare "NH Votes" sticker today - I'm willing to trade it for a Beta Black Lotus or a G1 Charizard.
  • UncleUlty said:

Civic duty complete!

I got an UItra-Rare "NH Votes" sticker today - I'm willing to trade it for a Beta Black Lotus or a G1 Charizard.

Thankfully voting stickers are not like Pokemon. The ultra-common NYC variety is also the best. It's like if Rattata was the best Pokemon.

• Apparently they only give voting stickers to "special people" at my polling location.

Total bullshit. I am definitely special.

Some days, I'm particularly special.

Churbs, what do we have to do to make democracy sausages a thing here in the US?
  • Well, if you were wondering about Glenn Beck, here is your answer: He's got some sort of brain problem and he's only just getting it under control.
  • Apparently they only give voting stickers to "special people" at my polling location.

Total bullshit. I am definitely special.

Some days, I'm particularly special.

Churbs, what do we have to do to make democracy sausages a thing here in the US?

In NYC I saw them open a case of stickers. They had ALOT.

• Voted for Clinton, so I'm allowed to bitch now.
  • When I was 16 I was really excited I'd be able to vote this year. Now it feels underwhelming and slightly depressing. Maybe if there had been a contested Congressional election I'd have felt better. I voted on more questions than I voted on candidates (Boston had five this year).

I did do one write in. Sheriff was unopposed so I wrote in Cleavon Little. I didn't want to vote Hunter Thompson since I did during the last midterms.
  • Greg said:

When I was 16 I was really excited I'd be able to vote this year. Now it feels underwhelming and slightly depressing. Maybe if there had been a contested Congressional election I'd have felt better. I voted on more questions than I voted on candidates (Boston had five this year).

I did do one write in. Sheriff was unopposed so I wrote in Cleavon Little. I didn't want to vote Hunter Thompson since I did during the last midterms.

WTF. Questions are the best and most important part! That shit is where your vote matters the most. I'm disappointed my ballot had no questions this time. Usually we get good ones like:

"Should we give the MTA more money?" (I voted yes, most voted no)

or

"Should we let anyone else have an extra long term as mayor like Bloomberg did?" (Everyone voted no)
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

When I was 16 I was really excited I'd be able to vote this year. Now it feels underwhelming and slightly depressing. Maybe if there had been a contested Congressional election I'd have felt better. I voted on more questions than I voted on candidates (Boston had five this year).

WTF. Questions are the best and most important part! That shit is where your vote matters the most. I'm disappointed my ballot had no questions this time. Usually we get good ones like:

"Should we give the MTA more money?" (I voted yes, most voted no)

or

"Should we let anyone else have an extra long term as mayor like Bloomberg did?" (Everyone voted no)
    Yeah I totally agree which is why I voted on almost all of them. I felt very satisfied on two of the questions in particular. I skipped one of them, but only because I felt it shouldn't have been on the State level, and I'm not in the city it would affect. But it still wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it'd be when I was 16.
  • We had 8 Qs. They were mostly easy choices though.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Wait... who was paying me to occupy Boston for the British this summer?
  • edited November 2016

Same way we did, and the same way I plan to. Same way I encourage y'all to.

What you do, is you show up early, set up near the exit, vote. If you have an I Voted sticker, you get a sausage, or alternatively, you can do a gold-coin(or, I guess a Dollar in your case?) donation for a charity in exchange for a sausage. Donations for a can of drink is pretty universal.

Sure, it costs some cash, but shit man, it's for a good cause, and it gets the punters in.

I'm not sure how well it would work in the US,m considering that you could lure Australians just about anywhere with a sausage sizzle, but it's worth a shot.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Had no questions on my ballot. It was pretty disappointing.
  • Here's to hoping that my ballot questions leads to a 51st state!
  • Yeah I was disappointed there were no questions in Michigan either. And a lot of the local candidates were running unopposed. I kinda considered just writing in Deez Nuts or Bernie Sanders for those since it actually didn't matter.
  • I wrote in my dad on the one R running unopposed. Otherwise largely straight ticket correct party. As is tradition. Sadly I had few choices, but hey, only 700 summod days until the midterms.
  • Whelp, I am literally shaking in anxiety/anger. 21mg of melatonin should put me to sleep long enough for the votes to be counted by the time I wake up. Gnight everybody.
  • I'm fairly certain my county got rid of "I voted" stickers, which is complete bullshit.
  • I think I speak for all of us when I say "oh god no why no please god no please why"
  • Ikatono said:

I think I speak for all of us when I say "oh god no why no please god no please why"

• How did the polls and analysts get it so, so wrong?
  • How did the polls and analysts get it so, so wrong?

538 seems to be partly blaming it on Democrats complacency due to those polls.