This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hello from the Magic Tavern

edited December 2015 in Everything Else
I was rather surprised to not find a thread about this improv-driven, fantasy-centric podcast (which has been going on for a number of months now). It's hilarious, and I highly recommend it. Has anyone else listened?

Hi. I’m Arnie. I fell through a portal behind a Burger King into the magical land of Foon. I’m still trying to get my bearings, but I have my podcasting gear and get a weak WiFi signal from the Burger King so I figured I might as well set up shop at the nearby inn and interview some people.

http://hellofromthemagictavern.com/
Post edited by Alex Leavitt on

Comments

• edited December 2015
    I'm five episodes in and I'm digging it.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Hah, I listen to... three podcasts?

I'll give this a go!
  • The guy who does this podcast is one of the writers from YDKJ, it didn't grab to continue it but it is different.
  • edited January 2016
    Still catching up on the archive.

Oh god... Episode 32 is fucking brilliant.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I dug their crossover with One Shot enough that I'm gonna start listening.
  • I recently listened to the Holiday Songs episode, which was a favorite in the most recent dozen.
  • The latest episode is an intriguing look into...another world.
  • I have way too many podcasts in my feeds, but this is one of few that I'm pretty much up-to-date on at the moment.

It seems like there's actually quite a few good podcasts coming out of Chicago right now, especially the ones with a bunch of improv artists. Here's a list of a few that are all really good [starting from the best at the top]:
    - Campaign Podcast [Star Wars RPG campaign played by improv artists]
    - Improvised Star Trek
    - Hello From the Magic Tavern
    - One Shot Podcast [one-shot RPG stuff played by improv artists; same people as the Campaign Podcast]
    - Our Fair City [long-form scripted post-apocalyptic audio drama]

Apart from the Chicago bunch, if you like the RPG ones like Campaign and/or One Shot, also worth a look is The Adventure Zone.

• Campaign and One Shot are my favourite podcasts right now. I met James D'Amato at Metatopia this weekend; he sat in on my New Frontiers game.

• Apart from the Chicago bunch, if you like the RPG ones like Campaign and/or One Shot, also worth a look is The Adventure Zone.

If you like The Adventure Zone you should just search for anything Griffin McElroy does. It's all worth a look or listen.
  • There's several solid podcasts on maximumfun.org, and one McElroy or another seems to be involved in many of them. That said, I like Griffin better than the others, and The Adventure Zone is currently the only Maximum Fun show I'm up to date on.
  • His Monster Factory series on YouTube is great.
  • Nothing can beat Griffin's Amiibo Corner.
  • True. He started another show today it seems. That's like six video series and around as many podcasts.