This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

If Donald Trump Wins...

Would say all you American folk are welcome to come to London, but it would be cruel to invite anyone into this Brexit limbo.

Here are some alternatives.

Estonia
Pros
Good internet
Cyber citizenship
https://e-estonia.com/e-residents/about/
Old architecture

Cons
Who knows any Estonian culture?

New Zealand
Pros
Weather
Scenery
Lord of the Rings

Cons
Weta bugs may eat you alive in your sleep
Limited career opportunities

Finland
Pros
Not Trump for president

Cons
Finnish is an impossible language
Cold

Comments

• I stay and fight fascism at home.
  • Andrew said:

I stay and fight fascism at home.

This. I'm in a position where what he does will have little impact on my life directly, thus I am in a great position to help others who are impacted. I totally understand people wanting to flee if they legitimately think life will get worse for them (and it probably will), but I have no reason to. So I will do my utmost to make sure things don't get worse.
  • I've seriously looked at Australia (Sydney) and Germany. Like, lined up jobs seriously.
  • Palm trees.

It's not happening, though.
  • My dad's grandfather was Latvian so we tried to get EU citizenship that way some number of years ago. We don't qualify because Latvia was Russian controlled at the time of my great-grandfather's departure. We could get Russian citizenship, but how much better is that anyway?
  • I know if Brexit tries to fuck with me Vitamin D supplement prices, I have 2 outs. Barbados/ Spain.

Can't really put a price on a lifetime supply of vit D.
  • Andrew said:

• Check the projections. He would have to win FL, NV, OH AND flip one of hers.
  • I'm considering applying to a job at Paradox Studios in Stockholm.
  • Andrew said:

Already promised.
  • Canada likely...girlfriend's got family hookup/dual-citizenship with Montreal.
  • The sense of unease I get thinking how a Trump presidency could allow me to be discriminated against because of something I was born as is unreal and shocking. I was naive to move here with Obama as the president thinking that there would always be progress. I have seriously considered moving to somewhere in the EU as I have citizenship there.
  • Australia or Spain. We would prefer Australia but I have friends in Spain who would help with the move.
  • edited November 2016
    Andrew said:

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • If Trump wins according to a few family friends in the US, their position is that - "nothing new will happen in the US, we'll just have an embarrassing leader, all major decisions have to pass both houses and everything that Trump is promising is stupid."

Not well enough to decide if this is true.

I'm considering applying to a job at Paradox Studios in Stockholm.

Can't you just move offices?
    Tokyo and Sydney are pretty great, haven't seen the European offices.
  • sK0pe said:

If Trump wins according to a few family friends in the US, their position is that - "nothing new will happen in the US, we'll just have an embarrassing leader, all major decisions have to pass both houses and everything that Trump is promising is stupid."

Not well enough to decide if this is true.

I'm considering applying to a job at Paradox Studios in Stockholm.

Can't you just move offices?
    Tokyo and Sydney are pretty great, haven't seen the European offices.
    Trump has about zero institutional support. He can not get his ideas turned into law. Neither of the two major parties want him there and he would be impeached for spilling coffee on a blue dress.
  • I believe a Trump election certainly wouldn't be a spark to a massive influx of closeted Nazis coming out of the woodwork all over and starting any sort of movements; but it might spark a few crazies to do their crazy shit branzenly before getting their shit shut down.

Then again, Clinton being elected would do the same apparently?

I'm glad the crazy ones are going to out themselves eitherway this goes, apparently.

That said if it ever does turn into a shit show here then Sweden or Czechia seem like solid choices.
  • Rym said:

I've seriously looked at Australia (Sydney) and Germany. Like, lined up jobs seriously.

How will you ski in Australia? I think you you need to cross out an "al" for that :P
  • chaosof99 said:

Rym said:

I've seriously looked at Australia (Sydney) and Germany. Like, lined up jobs seriously.

How will you ski in Australia? I think you you need to cross out an "al" for that :P
    Or, you could just go to Perisher, the largest snow resort in the southern hemisphere. Or Thredbo, Hotham, Falls creek, Buller, Kosciuszko park, Alpine park, Namadgi, Baw Baw, Selwyn, Charlotte pass and much of Tasmania.

I keep telling y'all that we have everything.
  • edited November 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

Finland
    Pros
    Not Trump for president
    Cold

Cons
    Finnish is an impossible language

I'm liking the sound of this one.

But why go to all the trouble when pepere is already in New Brunswik, I can go live with him.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Northern Europe

Pro: Hockey

Con: Not NHL Hockey
  • edited November 2016
    The Best Possible Outcome if Trump Wins the Election

An Election Day Comic by Emma Hunsinger

https://electricliterature.com/the-best-possible-outcome-if-trump-wins-the-election-61dff819c665#.r1zi9v9fu
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • America will survive. I hate the bastard but I'm not going anywhere.
  • If he wins part of America dies.
  • It looks like we might need to rename this to "When Donald Trump Wins..."
  • I'm trying to become accustomed to the idea that the most powerful man in the world is this unpredictable scumbag.
  • Andrew said:

2nd Amendment Time? Not that I actually support armed revolution but he is basically the kind of person it was put there to stop.
  • Andrew said:

2nd Amendment Time? Not that I actually support armed revolution but he is basically the kind of person it was put there to stop.
    The irony
  • edited November 2016
    As we will likely have a Trump presidency, a GOP controlled House and Senate, and at least one Trump chosen and GOP approved Justice on the Supreme Court, I am now genuinely considering a move to Canada. It is that or not have children.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on