This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Ya fucked us, Florida.
  • How did the polls and analysts get it so, so wrong?

Part of it seems to be that the "silent majority" actually showed up. Trump spoke their language.
  • Listening to the intro to the latest podcast is kinda funny now, in a dark way.
  • Ikatono said:

Listening to the intro to the latest podcast is kinda funny now, in a dark way.

Fuck.
  • In miserable news: my anxiety is so great that I can't sleep even after all that melatonin.

In not miserable news

• Um... guys...
  • Um... guys...

Yeah. America is full of stupid racists apparently.
  • Time to fight fascism at home.

I think this was supposed to be uplifting maybe but I saw it as the opposite:
  • edited November 2016
    Yeah all that said to me was that we didn't know about the secret racists.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • edited November 2016
    The ship to the sun boards at 6am. I'll meet you there.
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • I can't believe Trump won. That's so depressing. Honest to goodness I don't understand how people can justify selfish decisions without their empathy kicking in and saying "no".
  • Still can't sleep. Still processing what happened. Talked (and drank) with a friend as we considered all the crazy eventualities that could happen. Trump, Pence, impeachment, Russia...It's all crazy.

Be prepared to huddle around your LGBT friends, your PoC friends, etc. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, and not just for four years. Shit just got crazy, and the Republicans know that racism wins the day apparently. Turns out beating systemic racism is still a long and bumpy-as-fuck road.
  • Looking at the state by state results it looks like Trump's road to the presidency was not as narrow as portrayed (may end up around 310 electoral votes) and Clinton's was prematurely paved as a four lane highway.

2016 was the year of the outsider. We saw this in the primary and it carried forward into election day. I supported Sanders during the primary (act blue is now marked as spam in my email client because they never stop sending crap) and voted for Johnson yesterday. My state (CT) was never in doubt, if it had flipped for Trump it would have been an indicator of a massive Trump landslide.

Eight years ago I put my politics aside and took a wait and see approach, I will be doing the same now. I will see who he appoints to fill his cabinet and who he chooses to take advice from. I will see if he actually wastes political capital on stupid shit or if those stances were just typical electioneering red meat.

The world is not ending. If you would rather leave and abandon your country then, fuck it. Leave. We don't need you here.

The economic recovery of the last eight years has been shit to the blue collar workers. High paying full-time jobs were replaced with shit wage part time jobs. With a Republican (if he even can be quantified in that way) in the White House the media will have zero qualms pasting America's problems on the front page. There is a silver lining here.

Further, when the man fucks up, as we know he will. How many Republicans will oppose impeachment when they have Pence ready to take his seat?

It wasn't the end of the world eight years ago and it is not the end today.

As an aside, remember all the shit said about Romney four years ago? Trump is the man Romney was painted as. We have only ourselves to blame for this.
  • Andrew said:

Time to fight fascism at home.

• edited November 2016
    I am too much in mourning to even address the cavalier attitude and sweeping assumptions in HTMKSteve's post above. Anyone else have the fortitude to address it?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Literally spent 2 years recovering from anxiety, this morning I didn't have an attack, but a harsh reminder of how much worry effects me.

Climate change denial, post truth politics, austerian governments. The shit cycle continues to feed itself, till what?

What can intervene?
  • In order to retake some ground in the midterm elections and potentially oust Trump/Pence in four years, we need to delve into the reasons for the outcome of this election. One of those reasons may be individuals who were frustrated and genuinely suffering who chose Trump/Pence because they were chasing change, no matter how amorphous such a change might be or how much it may hurt their own interests. However, in this moment, we cannot ignore that these individuals were willing to vote for men that are openly hostile toward women, people of color, Muslims, Jews, the LGBTQ community, and non-white immigrants in order to potentially alleviate their own suffering.
  • Here's the story with Brexit and Trump:

Moderator: A decides what split of $100 they want, and B gets the rest. If B doesn't like the outcome, they decline, and neither get any money.

A: Great!

B: Fine, I guess.

Moderator: Round 1!

A: $60 for me.

B: I only get $40? Okay, well, that's better than nothing.

Moderator: Round 2!

A: $75 for me?

B: Well, that seems a bit unfair. What's changed from last time?

A: Take $25 or nothing.

B: Well, okay.

Moderator: Round 3!

A: $90 for me?

B: Now you're pushing it.

A: What are you going to do about it?

B: Okay, I'll take the $10.

Moderator: Round 4!

A: $95 for me!

B: Look, I'll let you get away with it this time, but I'm warning you, I want more than $5 next time.

A: So $5 is okay this round?

B: Yes, but not next round.

Moderator: Actually, I have to be honest, we have a problem with the money this turn. We only have $80 to split between you.

A: Well, I was going to get $95 that round!

B: What the fuck is happening?

A: Look, we're both taking a pay cut this turn. I'll make do with $79, and you take $1.

B: ...

Moderator: Round 5!

A: I'm still recovering from my pay cut from the last round. So, how does $5 sound to you this turn?

B: Fuck you. I'm taking $0, you're taking $0.

A: You're RACIST!
  • edited November 2016
    So in your metaphor the democrats have consistently won? It's funny, but it isn't reality. The Republicans have had on and off control of the Presidency on and off for decades, on and off control of the Senate since in the 1980s, and near constant control of the House since the mid-1990s.

Also, when the alt-right, neo-nazis, and the KKK are endorsing a person AND that person has made racist statements, then they are a racist. This isn't a last minute accusation of racism in the US, it has been ongoing. From what I've read to the lead up to Brexit, those who supported Brexit were accused of being xenophobic and racist long before the election.
  • 2018 does not look like a good chance on taking back the Senate: http://www.rollcall.com/news/home/for-democrats-2018-senate-math-is-daunting
  • My metaphor has nothing to do with Democrats and Republicans. How could it, when I also used it to explain Brexit?
  • edited November 2016

Here's the story with Brexit and Trump:

The inclusion of Trump confused me. I thought you were attempting to create a metaphor to explain the Brexit and Trump outcomes. If that isn't what you meant, then I retract my statements but remain confused.

Edit: I read it as A = Democrats and Pro-EU groups; B = Republicans and Pro-Brexit groups.

• Read it as A = The 1%, political and business elites, who make the decisions, and know they stay there due to all the people who support them because they are in the 50% of the population who don't lose out so much due to their decisions. And B = the minority of people who are losing out to the decisions of A.

When B gets shafted this many times over, it doesn't take a majority of the population to get the protest vote option to succeed. It just takes enough to add to the votes of the racists and other deplorables to get past 50% in Florida and North Carolina.
  • Read it as A = The 1%, political and business elites, who make the decisions, and know they stay there due to all the people who support them because they are in the 50% of the population who don't lose out so much due to their decisions. And B = the minority of people who are losing out to the decisions of A.

When B gets shafted this many times over, it doesn't take a majority of the population to get the protest vote option to succeed. It just takes enough to add to the votes of the racists and other deplorables to get past 50% in Florida and North Carolina.

Gutting the voting rights act also helps.
  • I am eagerly awaiting the post election analysis. This morning I already heard one commentator opine on how the big win for Republicans last night is actually bad for them. I have never known one party control of government being a bad thing for the party in control. It is certainly bad for the opposition party and possibly for the people but not for those in power!

I have been hearing that the blue states that turned did so because the rural voters came out and voted.

I expect someone from the Sanders wing of the party to run in 2020. Could be Warren, depending on what she does in the coming years.
  • edited November 2016
    I am desperately trying to find some escape from this but it's impossible. It's fucking everywhere. I'm also realizing I'm kind of a twitter addict, which isn't helping. :(
    Post edited by chaosof99 on