This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• White felons outnumber black ones, but not in proportion to the overall population.

Obviously, this is why the civil rights movement is still very strong and very necessary. I just made the point to keep things in perspective, and it brings to mind another reason why Trump has so much support: a lot of uneducated normally apolitical people feel ignored. The (largely white) rural areas have been hit worse by drugs, recession/unemployment, and varied political fuckeries than the cities but urbanites (of both parties) ignore them while focusing on the issues that impact their own lives.
  • As a (former?) refugee, I feel like every racist thing ever said to me has been validated. Today has been a difficult day, walking around the city feeling completely crushed, trying my hardest to blend in to people, to not be seen.

There's a gap in my chest.
  • Well they can suffer with the rest of us then and be reminded how fucking stupid they are.
  • edited November 2016
    More evidence is needed to strongly suggest a causal link, but it looks like voting restrictions played a role in lower turnout for Democrats this election:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/states-new-voting-restrictions-flip-trump-article-1.2866395
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Ilmarinen said:

Think about all those apathetic people who believe all politicians are illuminati members who sell their souls to the devil and live to fuck over the common man.

I don't take it for granted that these people would vote main party in the first place, or that they could read the ballot well enough to vote the way they wanted, or to fill out the ballot properly. I'm not saying they wouldn't vote Trump, just that it's not guaranteed that they would.
    Ilmarinen said:

With mandatory voting, this election would have been a landslide... for Trump.

Yes, I'd hate to think what would happen if Trump had won this election. =p
  • edited November 2016
    ITT: a lot of poorly informed assumptions.

Voter suppression was a real thing this election.

Also it kills me that minorities are held responsible for the result. Sure, it may be less than Obama, but seriously, don't you think it's time white people didn't demand POC to do the work?

imageimage
    (From http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls, album http://imgur.com/a/1RpNB)

And it's off to a Great start. /s
    Just check out the day one violence against minorities (TW):
    http://imgur.com/a/r3In4
    (new one just popped up:)
    http://imgur.com/S1Is6og
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited November 2016
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • MATATAT said:

Well they can suffer with the rest of us then and be reminded how fucking stupid they are.

In my earlier illustration, these were also in the B group. They feel like they've already been suffering, and they voted twice for Obama and now... maybe pay more for their health insurance?

Not wanting to reward the status quo with a vote for more of the same is perfectly understandable.
  • edited November 2016
    EDIT: Wrong thread. Sorry.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Daikun said:
    Nixon had one of those. It became a point of pride for all who were on it.
  • Greg said:

Daikun said:
    Heh, know what? I like the idea of that. Long as it's nothing like Lucius Cornelius Sulla's list I'd actually consider it a point of pride to be on such a list.
  • Naoza said:

Greg said:

Daikun said:
    Heh, know what? I like the idea of that. Long as it's nothing like Lucius Cornelius Sulla's list I'd actually consider it a point of pride to be on such a list.
    Sulla didn't just murder his political enemies, he murdered random folks just to prove a point. Nixon's list contained a few victims of suspicious accident, but no fatalities and little evidence against CIA or FBI. I have been told my grandfather was very frustrated when it became public and he wasn't on it. After all the screaming matches with Kissinger over the phone, he felt he deserved some sort of recognition.
  • Oma Rosa is a lying, attention seeking monster no different than Coulter or Trump himself. Trust nothing out of her mouth.
  • So, what's next for the Democrats? I know that the short term goal is to work toward as many gains/retentions in the House as possible in 2018, but who gets tapped in 2020? Bernie? Warren?

Ron Wyden from Oregon was the champion against SOPA, so he seems like he might be worth a look, but I don't know much about him other than that.

What about the resurrection of Howard Dean? In a world where a TV reality show star just won the election, I think a guy saying "AAAHHH" shouldn't even move the needle anymore.

Here's the yard sign:
    Sanders/Dean. Hindsight is 2020.
  • UncleUlty said:

Here's the yard sign:

Here's the inside skinny - only one of them was ever a viable candidate, and it's the one who let loose a barbaric yawp. There's a lot of journos out there who have seen the RNC's oppo file on sanders, and they were poised to go through him like a shotgun blast through silken tofu. If he runs for President, he's going to get evicerated, and kiss the rest of his political career goodbye to boot. I'd rather he remain an effective legislator, than an ill-thought of joke.

• Now is not the time to look to 2020. Now is the time to take a stand outside the polling booth. Now is the time to make 2020 a possibility at all.
  • Churba said:

UncleUlty said:

Here's the yard sign:

Here's the inside skinny - only one of them was ever a viable candidate, and it's the one who let loose a barbaric yawp. There's a lot of journos out there who have seen the RNC's oppo file on sanders, and they were poised to go through him like a shotgun blast through silken tofu. If he runs for President, he's going to get evicerated, and kiss the rest of his political career goodbye to boot. I'd rather he remain an effective legislator, than an ill-thought of joke.
    Not to mention, the anti-semitic language of the Trump campaign resonated with enough of his base that I see them being just as opposed to Bernie as they are to any non-white or female candidate. That's not to say I think we should keep voting for Blandy Mcbland. I'd vote for that slogan though, lol.
  • Not to mention, the anti-semitic language of the Trump campaign resonated with enough of his base that I see them being just as opposed to Bernie as they are to any non-white or female candidate. That's not to say I think we should keep voting for Blandy Mcbland. I'd vote for that slogan though, lol.

"We're completely unremarkable and inoffensive. Vote McBland/Beige this election. Or don't, I guess, it's okay either way."

• Vote Milk/Toast for 2020
  • Churba said:

"We're completely unremarkable and inoffensive. Vote McBland/Beige this election. Or don't, I guess, it's okay either way."

Daikun said:

Vote Milk/Toast for 2020

I needed these laughs.
  • It's a Hail Mary attempt that probably won't work, but some people are placing their faith in faithless electors: https://www.bustle.com/articles/194611-3-petitions-urging-electors-to-make-hillary-clinton-president
  • While the EC turning on Trump and electing who ever they want would be pretty crazy, and awesome, I can't imagine that the populous would accept such a thing. It'd be a step that would probably do more damage than save us.
  • HungryJoe said:

It's a Hail Mary attempt that probably won't work, but some people are placing their faith in faithless electors: https://www.bustle.com/articles/194611-3-petitions-urging-electors-to-make-hillary-clinton-president

Considering the number she needs that's a lot of faithless electors. I really don't see that happening.
  • zehaeva said:

While the EC turning on Trump and electing who ever they want would be pretty crazy, and awesome, I can't imagine that the populous would accept such a thing. It'd be a step that would probably do more damage than save us.

EXACTLY.

Face some realities here.

Clinton had the entire DNC power structure behind her and she lost.

Trump had a scatter shot style campaign apparatus with no real coordination or institutional support from the RNC. Yet, he won.

There was a movement in this country for change.

• HMTKSteve said:

There was a movement in this country for change.

Was there really? Clinton won the popular vote and every sane person agrees that Trump is unfit. This is, in fact, exactly the sort of protection the electoral college is intended to provide.

Trump goes to trial on November 28th for fraud shenaqnigans with Trump University. That hasn't been widely discussed in the media. When this actually happens, some electors might be persuaded to at least abstain from voting for Trump.

Yes, it's highly unusual, but EVERYTHING about this election has been highly unusual.