This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Movies: Good ones coming out?

2»

Comments

• There was a preview in the transformers movie that caught my eye. It is an unnamed movie, as of yet, due in January. There was some College kids partying in a high-rise in New York when they hear a roar and a fireball explode from downtown and hit a building nearby. Anyway, the cinematography appeared to be well done for that scene with a hand-held camera.I recall exactly what you are speaking of, and it looked like a fantastic preview. For some reason, however, I got the feeling of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, where the robots crashed down into Manhattan and all hell broke loose (too bad there aren't more Metropolis style films). However, I do look forward to this film--the very best previews are the ones that revealnothingbut suggest so much.Is that on the interwebs? I think my uncl and cousins were talking about it weekend before last, and I really wanna see this teaser.I think this is what you're talking about.

Also, regarding Elizabeth: The Golden Age - the awesomeness for me comes from the historical epic events on the screen.  The Spanish Inquisition and the conspiracies to assassinate Elizabeth, especially - it just seems so kickass.
  • edited April 2016
    Hideaki Anno's Godzilla

You know it's going to be worth watching because it has that circular symbol at the beginning that says "guaranteed good movie" in it.

Also, I love how you can tell he directed it, even if nobody told you, just from the trailer. The way it looks when the building gets smashed and the glass shatters is just the same as when he draws it. The way the tail moves is just like the Shamsel and Zeruel angels from Eva.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm 25% excited 75% nervous. The last thing Anno was involved in that was non-Eva was that terrible Petite Princess Yucie anime nobody but me remembers.
  • Neito said:

I'm 25% excited 75% nervous. The last thing Anno was involved in that was non-Eva was that terrible Petite Princess Yucie anime nobody but me remembers.

I never heard of it. While it was made by GAINAX, according to ANN it was directed by Masahiko Otsuka.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=600

The last thing Anno worked on are all those Eva movies I haven't watched yet because I'm waiting for them to be done.
  • Apreche said:

Neito said:

I'm 25% excited 75% nervous. The last thing Anno was involved in that was non-Eva was that terrible Petite Princess Yucie anime nobody but me remembers.

I never heard of it. While it was made by GAINAX, according to ANN it was directed by Masahiko Otsuka.

The last thing Anno worked on are all those Eva movies I haven't watched yet because I'm waiting for them to be done.
    Looking further, apparently he was just supervising director on PPY. That said, I feel like an "Eva-feel" (considering Eva's origins in Kaiju) will probably make for a freaking sweet movie. I'm just nervous about him, as even his Eva stuff hasn't been super great or... coherent, lately.
  • Neito said:

Apreche said:

Neito said:

Looking further, apparently he was just supervising director on PPY. That said, I feel like an "Eva-feel" (considering Eva's origins in Kaiju) will probably make for a freaking sweet movie. I'm just nervous about him, as even his Eva stuff hasn't been super great or... coherent, lately.
    Since when is coherence necessary, or desired? All the greatest works of GAINAX lack coherency. Royal Space Force anyone?
  • I'd say Gainax works are odd, and certainly postmodern or surreal, but none of them are what I'd call incoherent. Gunbuster, Diebuster, Gurren-Lagann, Evangelion, Furi Kuri.... All coherent wholes.
  • Neito said:

I'd say Gainax works are odd, and certainly postmodern or surreal, but none of them are what I'd call incoherent. Gunbuster, Diebuster, Gurren-Lagann, Evangelion, Furi Kuri.... All coherent wholes.

Take a random person off the street and show them Evangelion or FLCL. Then asked them to tell you the plot of what they just watched. What percentage do you think will get it right?

I'm feeling 0%.
  • Apreche said:

Neito said:

I'd say Gainax works are odd, and certainly postmodern or surreal, but none of them are what I'd call incoherent. Gunbuster, Diebuster, Gurren-Lagann, Evangelion, Furi Kuri.... All coherent wholes.

Take a random person off the street and show them Evangelion or FLCL. Then asked them to tell you the plot of what they just watched. What percentage do you think will get it right?

I'm feeling 0%.
    I disagree, but I've chosen to die on the hill of optimism these days. I feel a random person, who has no experience, or very little experience, with Post-Modern media would at least understand the surface plot. They probably wouldn't get the metaphors at first watch, but did you?
  • Neito said:

Apreche said:

Neito said:

I'm feeling 0%.
    I disagree, but I've chosen to die on the hill of optimism these days. I feel a random person, who has no experience, or very little experience, with Post-Modern media would at least understand the surface plot. They probably wouldn't get the metaphors at first watch, but did you?
    I didn't even understand the surface plot of Evangelion until the second watch. Even then, it was far from full. I never understood anything about the plot of FLCL, even now. There's a kit with a robot friend and a girl who hits him with her bike, and they fight against robots from this giant iron. And what?
  • What if half way through the movie Angels start attacking, and Godzilla's gotta save the day?
  • edited April 2016

What if half way through the movie Angels start attacking, and Godzilla's gotta save the day?

YASSSSSSSS

Also, I have to point something out. In Blue Blazes (Aoi Hono) there are scenes where the actor playing young Hideaki Anno imitates Godzilla. The Godzilla in this trailer has the exact same movements and mannerisms as that actor playing Anno playing Godzilla. I wonder if he had some reference material of the real Hideaki Anno pretending to be Godzilla.
  • There's actually a summer blockbuster I want to see this year.

http://www.vlive.tv/video/10312/BIGBANG---MOVIE-TALK-TEASER
  • I didn't ask for Guy Ritchie to make a King Arthur movie, but I'll take it.

Sad that he's pulling sword from stone. It should have been the Lady of the Lake.
  • Everyone is hyping "Get Out!" It actually seems like it's going to be good.

At least based on the trailer it seems really similar to Population 436, Hot Fuzz, and also some old Twilight Zone episodes. Normal person ends up in isolated town where all the citizens are evil/fucked up. The material is definitely not new. However, it mixes things up by including comedy (written and directed by Peele) and making the bad guy racism instead of religious cults or monsters or whatnot.

But you know what pisses me off? This thing is getting so much hype right now, in October. Shit doesn't come out until February! WTF. Should have started the hype in january. By February I'll forget. Can't wait until it's streaming sometime later next year. We're going to see Rogue One before we see this movie, and that will wash all other movies out of our brains.
  • I'm sure most people here with their brains connected to cyberspace have seen this already, but in case you haven't.

• I don't think I'm even going to watch the trailer of a movie featuring boobs on the outside of women's combat armor.
  • I don't think I'm even going to watch the trailer of a movie featuring boobs on the outside of women's combat armor.

Not only does he have the boob armor, but he's also got two white people as his main characters in 2016. I have nothing good to say about that. It's bad. It's a pretty close adaptation from the comic, but that's obviously no excuse. It's also an improvement, if you consider Ms. Multipass from 5th Element, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

That being said, I still really like 5th Element and I want to see a space opera that isn't Star Wars. Also, hopefully we can get the second coming of Ruby Rhod.
  • So, The Fifth Element goes to Naboo?
  • edited November 2016

Visually this looks great. Takeshi Kitano is Aramaki. Both of those things get an A++.

The whitewashing is obviously F---- and the story also seems F-----. Get your fucking origin/backstory shit out of my face. Fighting crime in the cyberpunk world only please.

Also, in this trailer I don't remember seeing either of these two things.

No tachi/fuchikoma and no hacking. Without those, you will not win me over.
  • edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

Visually this looks great. Takeshi Kitano is Aramaki. Both of those things get an A++.

The whitewashing is obviously F---- and the story also seems F-----. Get your fucking origin/backstory shit out of my face.

Yeah I just watched this and it felt completely weird to watch. Also the skin colour difference between unitard and face is obvious and distracting. Will probably look fine in the actual movie but still.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Lowest of expectations have been met, and it doesn't interest me.
  • edited November 2016
    My investment in the movie on the Hollywood Stock Exchange is doing nothing but climbing.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I think in general that the major looks cooler with clothes on.
  • I think in general that the major looks cooler with clothes on.

Yeah that was weird when I first saw it but by the end of the trailer I was like "that's probably a good change"