This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Wallets

Tonight on GeekNights, it's a dark day for America, but we have to soldier on. We've somehow never talked about wallets, so that's reasonably distracting. Of course you know what the news is, but we also biked the New York Marathon route.

We'll be live at GaymerX on Sunday talking about writing game rules, and also live at MAGFest!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• This is my current wallet, and honestly, it's pretty great if you don't carry a ton of cash on you.
  • I like Phil's wallet: the Phil's wallet
  • edited November 2016
    Made this bad boy about 5 years ago.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • My wallet is 22-23 years old. I recently visited my old school for the first time in 19 years and realized the place in my wallet that I stored my forged early-dinner pass was still there! The same wallet!

I think I'm going to see if I can get through my entire adult life with just one wallet.
  • Bradey from Numberphile does Periodic Videos, Sixty Symbols, Objectivity and a few others. I only subscribe to Numberphile but watch Periodic Videos whenever they pop up in the algorithm.

He's Australian, not from Albion. He does indeed travel to colleges all over the world to interview mathematicians and scientists.

Just so you know, he's one half of the Hello Internet podcast with CGP Grey, another interesting educational YouTube video maker. Hello Internet is one of the best podcasts out there at the moment, so of course I'd highly recommend it.
  • I've got a wallet similar to Neito.

I'm totally looking forward to the technologies that are making wallets slowly less necessary. Things like paying for crap with my phone, or cards that can store multiple cards within them. In general I like my pockets to be filled as efficiently as possible. Looking to get as far away from this as possible:

Of course I bust out the 15+ year old chain wallet whenever I head to a metal show, despite it's potential to snag on someone, it keeps my wallet with me.
  • Relieved to discover you can still order Jimi wallets on Amazon. Panic averted.
  • I've been doing the Kickstarter wallet thing, however I do prefer the slim bi-fold leather wallet.
    Mine is in the wallets thread linked by @Dazzle369 above.
    It is RFID blocking.
    All I need -
    debit card
    credit card
    driver's license
    medicare card
    organ donor card
    Transperth smart rider (public transport card)

$20 in notes for whatever reason, I just use Android pay for everything.

My wallet only pops out for using public transport on a daily basis.
  • I have a Zelda wallet with my Driver's license, bank card, credit cards, university ID, and some various loyalty cards. No I don't have cash, are you crazy?
  • edited November 2016
    I don't use a wallet. I should probably get one.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I don't use a wallet. I should probably get one.

What do you use?
  • edited November 2016
    Most purses, laptop bags, and briefcases have a small inner zip pocket. That or pockets in my clothes/outerwear.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Most purses, laptop bags, and briefcases have a small inner zip pocket. That or pockets in my clothes/outerwear.

So you just have like a random assortment of cash and cards that are all loose and not attached to each other or combined?
  • Apreche said:

So you just have like a random assortment of cash and cards that are all loose and not attached to each other or combined?

I did that until my third year in college when I got my first wallet. I still do it sometimes if I'm just popping out to the shops or something.
  • Ruffas said:

Apreche said:

I did that until my third year in college when I got my first wallet. I still do it sometimes if I'm just popping out to the shops or something.
    I mean I get your point, I wouldn't need my wallet for the majority of excursions from the house however the wallet is contingency planning from my perspective.
  • The Chaplin speech at the end of the episode just got this stuck in my head, and it would be a shame not to share:
  • I feel like I'm the only person who has actually seen that movie rather than just the speech at the end.
  • I watched it after hearing that song, and honestly I don't have any desire to watch any part of it again except the speech. If I want to be a film hipster I can always go back to Dracula and Citizen Kane, which I find a lot more enjoyable than the first 90% of The Great Dictator.
  • I have a big Maxpedition wallet that I've been using for the last few years, and its held up really well. Before that I used a Gorilla Tape card holder style wallet, and an NES controller wallet before that. I like all the storage but it is pretty bulky. I wanted to buy their micro wallet but it doesn't actually have a normal cash pocket. It just opens to reveal two card slots and if its card only I might as well buy one that doesn't open at all and have it be even slimmer.
  • Apreche said:

Most purses, laptop bags, and briefcases have a small inner zip pocket. That or pockets in my clothes/outerwear.

No, the inner zip pockets are small. I just move the contents from purse/bag to another purse or bag. It is all contained in that one pocket, so why involve an extra piece of material unnecessarily. I don't need to carry many cards since my smart phone is always with me.
    Apreche said:

I feel like I'm the only person who has actually seen that movie rather than just the speech at the end.

Nope. I watched as a kid and again sometime in late high school.
  • Apreche said:

I feel like I'm the only person who has actually seen that movie rather than just the speech at the end.

Also saw it as s double feature with Iron Sky.
  • Big Skinny makes high quality wallets for those who like to have all the crap in their wallets.